Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:12 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,297,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Always love to hear a liberal give advice on how to be a better Christian.
Taking care of the poor = Liberal

Taking care of the poor = Christ

Shut up, work harder, I have no hand outs for you = Conservative

Shut up, work harder, I have no hand outs for you, except this pitch fork = Satan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:12 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,239,072 times
Quote:
Lol! I agree. It's especially nice when it is given in a political forum.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:02 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,261,012 times
Quote:
It's even better when those Evangelical Christians (who are the posters on this site backing this up. i.e. you) give advice:

Telling you to follow the Bible to a "T" although the don't and can't because the Bible contradicts itself.

Getting "excited" over killing, joining the military, although "thou shall not kill."

Saying something should happen and when their Republican party does nothing, don't complain but when the Democrats enact it complain like it's your job (and it is because you have to force your agenda).

Old 05-16-2010, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I can only think of one way a Christian can fail at being a Christian: by not believing that Jesus Christ was the son of god, came to earth, died for the sins of humanity, rose from the dead, and is now in heaven with his father.

If you believe all those things you are a Christian, no matter how unsavory your other creeds or deeds are. The history of the world is replete with the most vile and heinous crimes being committed by Christians.

If you don't, you're probably not a Christian.
Please tell me you are being facetious in making your quoted statements?

Old 05-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer740 View Post
Please tell me you are being facetious in making your quoted statements?
You won't get a response, Jack normally only posts in the P&C forum.

I pointed out to him some of the great killers in history who were Christians, namely Hitler, in posts after the one you quoted.

He tried to back away, but didn't completely.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:16 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,776,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Taking care of the poor = Liberal

Taking care of the poor = Christ

Shut up, work harder, I have no hand outs for you = Conservative

Shut up, work harder, I have no hand outs for you, except this pitch fork = Satan
Very intelligent.............fortunately for you ,there is no way for either of us to prove just how much of our personal income we actually give away to help the poor, the homeless, the unwed mothers, etc........ I know exactly how much I gave and exactly what percentage of that went directly to those whom it was meant to help. One might be careful comparing people to Christ and Satan. When we look at those in power running our federal government, me thinks Satan is much more pleased with them than Jesus is.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Very intelligent.............fortunately for you ,there is no way for either of us to prove just how much of our personal income we actually give away to help the poor, the homeless, the unwed mothers, etc........ I know exactly how much I gave and exactly what percentage of that went directly to those whom it was meant to help. One might be careful comparing people to Christ and Satan. When we look at those in power running our federal government, me thinks Satan is much more pleased with them than Jesus is.
Oh I know there are quite a few good Christians out there. But I know even more who don't want people to take "my job" and "my money". Very possessive for a Christian, at least I think so.

Most of the left leaning people I know have no problem with their money going to help those that are less fortunate. Now, many of them, including myself, are upset that we pay a higher tax rate than those who are the richest Americans, but thats the subject for a different thread.

I would agree with you though, most of the people in national politics that I know, have little to do with Christ.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:13 PM

27,895 posts, read 29,709,286 times
I'd like to comment on these reasons one by one.

1) Too much money. "Wealthy Christian" should be an oxymoron. In Luke 12:33, Jesus says, "Sell your possessions and give to the poor." In Matthew 19:21, he says, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor." In Matthew 6:24, he says, "You cannot serve God and Money." Christians are generally pretty huge on cleaving to the word of God. I just don't see how those particular words could be clearer. (For more on this, see my post "Christians: No Fair Heeding Paul on Gays, But Not Jesus on Wealth.")

My personal feelings are that wealth, in and of itself, is not something to be shunned. I am aware of a few very "wealthy Christians" who use their money in truly philanthropic ways to improve life for their fellow men. In this day and age, if a wealthy man just started giving away money randomly to the poor, until he had nothing and his wealth was distributed among many, society would not stand to benefit, and the people he gave it to wouldn't really benefit long term either. I believe it is possible to be a wealthy Christian; it's just not something that a whole lot of people are able to achieve.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,428,564 times
Everyone is free to have their own delusions, whether you see yourself as the worlds greatest lover, or trumpet player, when in fact you might be a virgin that never held a trumpet, but feel free to 'dream' all you want.

Religion, in your personal life, talk to as many deities as you can dream up. Where I get a real case of heartburn over religion are these traits of some followers of religion.

Quote:
5) Too invasive of others generally. It is my personal, humble opinion that anyone seeking to mix church and state has failed to understand the nature and role of either. Being founded upon the principle that all men are created equal and deserving of equal protection under the law is what makes the American system of democracy such a gift to mankind...........
Quote:
6) Too invasive of others personally. We Christians are too often too eager to get up into the faces of others about their personal religious beliefs. If you believe in the reality of hell, then wanting to save non-Christians from going there is a worthy sentiment, of course. But the bottom line is it's absolutely impossible to talk someone who isn't a Christian into becoming one........
This is where christians cross the line, my line, and you can most assuredly expect some push-back from me.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:51 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,776,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Oh I know there are quite a few good Christians out there. But I know even more who don't want people to take "my job" and "my money". Very possessive for a Christian, at least I think so.

This is where you guys go off the rails...................no where in the Bible, does it command us to shirk our responsibilities and surrender them over to a corrupt, wasteful, bloated government, that is more than willing to take all that we are willing to let them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality