Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:24 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I had a friend in elementry school who was mentally disabled. The other girls at school would taunt her mercilessly, and she'd laugh it off like she didn't understand. However, her mother told me that'd she'd often go home and cry until she wore herself out. I am glad your son can be happy despite his disability but, unfortunately, not all of them can. I am just wondering why such a merciful god would let an innocent person suffer like that?
That doesn't just happened to mentally disabled people, though. Kids get bullied and teased for all sorts of reasons. If you're going to ask about God's mercy, maybe you should ask why He allows any teasing or bullying to happen at all? It hurts just as much no matter what the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 01:20 PM

56 posts, read 94,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I'm pretty sure it's pretty well excepted that those that are cognitively unable to understand and accept Jesus are automatically saved through God's grace. I don't remember if this is in Romans or Revelations...but it's in one of them.

But I have to admit the comatose guy has thrown me for a loop...good one MG! I guess it would depend on what kind of person he was before the accident. Also I guess the assumption that God is all knowing and would have known the path this person's life would have taken would have to come into play...wouldn't He have known this person one day would be saved and therefore accept that as good enough? Since I believe all good people go to heaven, if he was a good person alive before the coma I would think God would judge him so and he would make it into heaven.
It doesn't have anything with being a good person but a saved person by knowing Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
In another blatant attempt to confuse, madden and divide the Religion forum into warring factions I have another unusual question to ask. What will happen to those individuals who are mentally handicapped and really don't have the ability to grasp concepts like religion and accepting Christ? I can't imagine that these unfortunate people would be sent to hell but if their final destination is to be heaven would they still be afflicted with the lack of normal mental capabilities or would they be given full self awareness for the first time in their existence? Also, what about a situation when someone has not been saved but then they're involved in an accident or something that causes them to be comatose for the rest of their lives? This person might possibly have become religious and accepted Christ at a later point in life but lost that opportunity due to their comatose condition. How would a just God deal with such a situation?
There is no reason that a mentally handicapped person can't be religious.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:37 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
What will happen to those individuals who are mentally handicapped and really don't have the ability to grasp concepts like religion and accepting Christ?
What about amputees, midgets and men with one testicle?

Yahweh hates them and won't even allow them near his altar.

If there were ever an argument against organ donation, that would be it.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:32 PM

30 posts, read 33,187 times
well in many christian doctrines it does not say anything about those who are 'Mentally Handicapped', but the 'Comatose', if they hard anything about the word, then if they did not get saved before hand, then they are most likely lost. because in most doctrines (it's pretty much not word for word but) 'all those who here the word and do not follow will Perish'.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:06 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
::Sigh::

Old 10-28-2010, 12:18 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Well, what a shocker this thread turned out to be. I am the mother of a son with Down syndrome who is 24 years old and functions at the 40 month level. We were blessed for him to become a part of our family when he was just 4 weeks old. This I saw as a miracle from God. I believe that people like my younger son are here to "test" others (and a bunch have failed) and that ultimately, what you might see as "suffering" is not suffering to them. My son doesn't have to spend hours in therapy, take drugs or indulge in an array of addictions to feel better about himself. I believe that he has a pure heart and will go to heaven just as I believe that all with pure hearts will go to heaven. I can see that he feels the presence of God the Father. I don't believe in a get out of hell free card by "accepting Jesus Christ" at the last moment. I believe all will be judged in accordance with how they led their lives from the beginning to the end of that life. Fortunately, we don't have to do the "sorting" of who is deserving of eternal life and who is deserving of eternal damnation.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:39 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh::
I second that emotion!!!!

Some of the views these Bibleans have never cease to astound me. Anyone in their rational mind who would believe such nonsense...that the Source of ALL there is a.k.a God would torment anyone, let alone a handicapped person is just asinine.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:32 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,710 times
Here is a good example as to why I don't subscribe to the word-for word verbatim of the Bible, and why I see the scriptures as being man's interpretation of "God's Word".

In the following scripture, disabled and challenged individuals are addressed. Does anyone believe that God "himself" truly wants these individuals to not be allowed to go to chruch? Think about it.

Lev. 21:17-23, it is written that God said, "no man with a defect; blind or lame, disfigured or deformed, with a crippled foot or hand, or who is hunchbacked or dwarfed, or who has any eye defect, festering or running sores, or damaged testicles, cannot offer sacrifice, come near to the curtain, or approach the alter because it would desecrate my sanctuary."

The Pharisees, the religious teachers at that time, continued this theology throughout the life and time that Jesus walked on earth. I find this to be a very cruel "law", and it is exactly this kind of intolerance and hypocracy that is turns droves of people away from such twisted rhetoric.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:33 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Most of them end up getting jobs at Walmart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality