U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:57 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,439,682 times

Advertisements

In another blatant attempt to confuse, madden and divide the Religion forum into warring factions I have another unusual question to ask. What will happen to those individuals who are mentally handicapped and really don't have the ability to grasp concepts like religion and accepting Christ? I can't imagine that these unfortunate people would be sent to hell but if their final destination is to be heaven would they still be afflicted with the lack of normal mental capabilities or would they be given full self awareness for the first time in their existence? Also, what about a situation when someone has not been saved but then they're involved in an accident or something that causes them to be comatose for the rest of their lives? This person might possibly have become religious and accepted Christ at a later point in life but lost that opportunity due to their comatose condition. How would a just God deal with such a situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 06:05 PM

3,490 posts, read 2,389,023 times
I love it MG.

Regarding a handicapped person, I think it SHOULD be obvious to anyone with a heart and brain that God would be merciful to them, as they don't have the ability to make a rational decision. That's a general view. MY viewpoint is that Jesus died to save THE WORLD, and accomplished just that. (I'm a Universalist).

Regarding the comatose thing, I think this person would end up in "hell", but I disagree with the majority opinion on what hell is, so it doesn't seem unjust to me. They would be in for some correction before they eventually, like everyone in the world will do according to Scripture, bow and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

IMHO!!!!!

Old 06-14-2007, 06:16 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,053,194 times
Hey MontanaGuy, the next printing of "The Bible" will have an additional book with answers to all your unusual queries. This addendum to the NT,will be named, The Book of Loopholes. Look for it in books stores in fall 07.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:16 PM

1,782 posts, read 6,845,106 times
The LDS believe that anyone who is not able to tell right from wrong will be automatically saved. That includes mentally handicapped people and small children.

As for someone who is comatose, I've never thought of it, but logic would say that they would be judged by how they lived until their coma, as that would be the de facto end of their probationary period -- mortal life.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:56 PM

13,470 posts, read 21,250,814 times
IMO. People who are unable to comprehend the belief in God, are as babies and are not accountable. As for a person who was a real sicko before he went into a comotose? I don't know, because we don't know if a person has thoughts or what may go on in his brain when he is in this state. Perhaps the holy spirit is alive and well in him and is speaking to him..

Old 06-14-2007, 07:15 PM

1,078 posts, read 3,444,892 times
I agree with you post one has to have the capacity to decide to be held culpable.
DUH!!
MBG

Old 06-14-2007, 10:29 PM

743 posts, read 2,042,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
culpable
MBG
Now there's a catholic word for ya ....I guess some things still linger, like it or not....

Old 06-15-2007, 03:55 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,858,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
In another blatant attempt to confuse, madden and divide the Religion forum into warring factions I have another unusual question to ask. What will happen to those individuals who are mentally handicapped and really don't have the ability to grasp concepts like religion and accepting Christ? I can't imagine that these unfortunate people would be sent to hell but if their final destination is to be heaven would they still be afflicted with the lack of normal mental capabilities or would they be given full self awareness for the first time in their existence? Also, what about a situation when someone has not been saved but then they're involved in an accident or something that causes them to be comatose for the rest of their lives? This person might possibly have become religious and accepted Christ at a later point in life but lost that opportunity due to their comatose condition. How would a just God deal with such a situation?
I'm pretty sure it's pretty well excepted that those that are cognitively unable to understand and accept Jesus are automatically saved through God's grace. I don't remember if this is in Romans or Revelations...but it's in one of them.

But I have to admit the comatose guy has thrown me for a loop...good one MG! I guess it would depend on what kind of person he was before the accident. Also I guess the assumption that God is all knowing and would have known the path this person's life would have taken would have to come into play...wouldn't He have known this person one day would be saved and therefore accept that as good enough? Since I believe all good people go to heaven, if he was a good person alive before the coma I would think God would judge him so and he would make it into heaven.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:15 AM

13,155 posts, read 16,940,586 times
[quote=irishmom;889411] Since I believe all good people go to heaven

All good people go to heaven?

What is "good" ?

There is none that is good, but God.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:52 AM

508 posts, read 1,524,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
The LDS believe that anyone who is not able to tell right from wrong will be automatically saved. That includes mentally handicapped people and small children.

As for someone who is comatose, I've never thought of it, but logic would say that they would be judged by how they lived until their coma, as that would be the de facto end of their probationary period -- mortal life.

I cant believe I am doing this, but. . . what about people who are sociopsychotic and criminally insane? People like Dahlmer, Bundy, and Gacie didnt have the ability to tell right from wrong and it was due to a psychological problem. Do the criminaly insane get included or are they sent to hell? If their mind is not capable of discerning right from wrong but they have committed absolutely horrible crimes against God, where do they fit in.

As for people who are mentally handicap, I look at them as innocent, and while I do not know what God's thoughts are I believe they would not be judged accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality