Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 AM

29 posts, read 255,550 times

Advertisements

I hardly have spent 5 minutes on this religion forum, and I am already completely shocked... how can you people be so blatent and self-righteous... posting things like "are these people really christians" or "can you be gay and christian" or telling us what is immoral and what is not... I thought a forum was supposed to be about sharing opinions, not trying to outdo the other... oh, and I thought spirituality was kind of the same way... I guess I'm under the wrong impression that we are supposed to use our spiritual capabilities to love God and have compassion to others, not to use it a sling shot loaded with dogma and self-righteousness... some of you people should seriously re-examine your stance, I think...

why do people focus so much on separatism? Being gay-- choice or born that way? who cares? If it doesn't effect you, then why go on about it.. if you don't believe its "right" then don't participate... If someone were to say "I hate hearing people say the blessing before they eat out in public", mine and most's reactions would be something along the lines of "well then you don't have to pray if you don't want, but this is what I do, and I'm not hurting anyone" Why don't we treat sprituality the same way? Let people believe how they want and unless they are performing ritualistic sacrafices on you or your kids, then just do what you think is right, and let God take care of the rest... Not to force my spirituality down anyone's throat, but Jesus did teach us to turn the other cheek and forgive... He also accepted people that were not socially acceptable during his time, something that Mainstream America has yet to obtain despite our self-proclaimed "Christian" ways...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 09:19 AM

606 posts, read 698,741 times
we are just discussing
calm down,please

Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,788 times
Well some of "us people" are here to learn about what makes other people tick. What is their POV? Why does the "other side" believe that way. What resources have they found that helps them believe that way. And if they're willing to share the resources, then many of us could learn. I've been given some outstanding resources on homosexuality and Christianity that I might never have come across.

The threads are created to generate discussion and learning. Some people may not view it that way, or may go to extremes and throw out nasty remarks about the "other side's point of view". It happens from both sides of the fence. And as judgemental as Christians are said to come across on this board and in RL, the same is true of non-Christians. It's called having an opinion or belief and sticking to it. Not backing down. The judgemental aspect comes into play when people do not choose their words wisely, thus coming across judgemental or condeming.

Christians will always use the Bible as their source. One of my desires is to get as many "other" resources as possible so when I talk to people I can add those resources in to make my point valid to them...but I will always refer back to the Bible first because that is where the truth stems for me.

Last edited by Hoosier; 05-01-2007 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
we are just discussing
calm down,please
thats what you have to say?

You can't calm down from something when you're not riled up

Old 05-01-2007, 09:35 AM

[quote=Hoosier_guy;651511] The judgemental aspect comes into play when people do not choose their words wisely, thus coming across judgemental or condeming. QUOTE]

well, then that was probably what I was referring to... so if you're here to learn and not condemn people, then I guess it wasn't directed to you... have a nice day

Old 05-01-2007, 09:36 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Jesus did teach love and forgiveness. Jesus did hang out with the people in society who were deemed "unacceptable." But Jesus DID have opinions and often He expressed them quite vehemently if you know what I mean. The Bible exhorts Christians to "speak the truth in love." Like HoosierGuy expressed, if we express what we believe to be the truth in a loving way,just having strong opinions and expressing them does not make us judgmental.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:42 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
Quote:
I hardly have spent 5 minutes on this religion forum, and I am already completely shocked... how can you people be so blatent and self-righteous
I actually think it's a pretty good forum and there's a wide variety of opinions and beliefs. Forums tend to get people riled up now and again and of course there's always a few that are rude and disruptive but you learn to ignore those few. Give it a little more time. You'll notice that a few people are very knowledgeable and able to express themselves and sometimes you'll pick up some useful information that might shape your opinions one way or the other. I also just enjoy a little friendly debate.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:48 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,788 times
You have to have a a little "type A" in your personality to survive forums like religion or P&OC.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
You have to have a a little "type A" in your personality to survive forums like religion or P&OC.
Yeah, I learned pretty quick that it wasn't for the "thin-skinned!"

Old 05-01-2007, 03:15 PM

190 posts, read 686,354 times
I've found this forum so informative and also I would like to say thank you to everyone who has shared their testimony. I've learned alot just listening to all of you, especially about gays being christian. Now I understand more than I did before. I appreciate everyone's honesty. I think we should feel safe as we speak to one another on this forum. I hope I will always have a teachable spirit so I can understand other people's views, and not judge them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality