U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:36 PM

76 posts, read 113,380 times

Advertisements

Why have people put up with life? Whats the point of working to survive?

As a student of history, I just can't understand why people put up with life. The world painted by evolutionary psychology is just brutal. Women are just rape slave, toys, and playthings for men to enjoy. But its not much better as a man, since while your sister and daughter might be raped and enslaved, you would just be killed off.

What is the life of man? A brutal struggle of existence against both nature and man. What was the point of the slave and serf, working backbreaking labor 16 hours a day for some brutal lord who rapes his daughters? Can you really say that the serf or factory-worker made the right choice in living such a brutish existence? Why shouldn't he have just committed suicide?

What makes human life so valuable that life is worth preserving for its own sake? Or is it just that we are programmed to survive by our selfish genes? And that our individual happiness means nothing to the gene who "wins" as long as it reproduces.

If I was a religious man, I guess I would be a monk, and just endure the trials of life, till this hell was over. But what kind of God would make a world like this? I would have to be a Gnostic and believe that whomever created this hellish world was not benign.

I realize that things are somewhat better now. But humanity is driven by the same cruel Darwinian biological nature. I mean how do you deal with man, when you know how insanely evil he is?

These thoughts have destroyed my life. I'm practically catatonic. I can't get out of bed or go to school or get a job. I just don't get why any rational being would put up with the hell that is life. What possible pleasure could inspire it? Sexual pleasure? Love for wife or children? Both the vulgar lust and higher "love" are just the selfish gene playing you as a fool.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:56 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,214,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamdar View Post

As a student of history, I just can't understand why people put up with life. The world painted by evolutionary psychology is just brutal. Women are just rape slave, toys, and playthings for men to enjoy. But its not much better as a man, since while your sister and daughter might be raped and enslaved, you would just be killed off.

What is the life of man? A brutal struggle of existence against both nature and man. What was the point of the slave and serf, working backbreaking labor 16 hours a day for some brutal lord who rapes his daughters? Can you really say that the serf or factory-worker made the right choice in living such a brutish existence? Why shouldn't he have just committed suicide?

What makes human life so valuable that life is worth preserving for its own sake? Or is it just that we are programmed to survive by our selfish genes? And that our individual happiness means nothing to the gene who "wins" as long as it reproduces.

If I was a religious man, I guess I would be a monk, and just endure the trials of life, till this hell was over. But what kind of God would make a world like this? I would have to be a Gnostic and believe that whomever created this hellish world was not benign.

I realize that things are somewhat better now. But humanity is driven by the same cruel Darwinian biological nature. I mean how do you deal with man, when you know how insanely evil he is?

These thoughts have destroyed my life. I'm practically catatonic. I can't get out of bed or go to school or get a job. I just don't get why any rational being would put up with the hell that is life. What possible pleasure could inspire it? Sexual pleasure? Love for wife or children? Both the vulgar lust and higher "love" are just the selfish gene playing you as a fool.
Did you fall asleep during the "altruism" part of the textbook? It's not all bad, honestly... even from the evolutionary psychology perspective.

Really, all of life is about perspective, and the cold, hard anthropological view of humanity is only one such perspective. You determine how incredible it is or how bad it sucks. Sentience can be the most amazing thing in the universe to you or the greatest curse possible; it only depends on how you look at it.

But here's where we are different from animals: Even if we are just working on underlying selfish animal impulses most of the time, we have the capability to examine existence from different perspectives. We have the potential to be greater than the sum of our parts. No other animal on the planet has that kind of luck.

Put the Glock down, go outside, breath some fresh air, look at a stary night sky and wonder at it all. We ARE special, if only for the mere fact that we can do exactly that.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:15 PM

857 posts, read 1,261,108 times
Ok I know that LOST is over, but seriously there is more to live for I promise!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:22 PM

497 posts, read 795,780 times
Good grief, if you think you're "putting up" with life, you must be a depressing, boring person to hang out with. Anyone that can't find a good reason to be alive just isn't trying.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:27 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,265,016 times
Quote:

I don't know what the meaning of life is. Life just "is". Rather than ponder unknowables, for me, life is just to experience as much of it as I possibly can in the short time I have here. Lot's to see, lot's to do. I have a wife and three children I love dearly and enjoy experiencing life with.

Work just to survive? Not for me. I got an education and work so I can experience as much life as possible. When I pass, I want to look back and say, "I had a great time!" It's like I was born with a bucket list gene or something because I have always been this way. By looking at life this manner, I have managed to be a happy person even though I have been in some difficult and unpleasant circumstances from time to time. Try it! Make a list of things you wish to experience and go make them happen. I mean list everything from the most outlandish to the most mundane. You might see your outlook on life a little differently!

Last edited by Fullback32; 05-24-2010 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 03:42 PM

20,894 posts, read 13,670,945 times
Heirloom tomatoes.

They are worth living for all by themselves.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:44 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,077,117 times
Quote:

Brother...after reading this post...I'm worried about you.

Please consider getting some professional treatment for your depression. It's not any sign of weakness or failure...it's a legit, debilitating condition... and it appears you are suffering from it. They have various therapies and medications that can help a lot, and even completely cure it.

PLEASE...don't wait...talk to friends, family, anyone...don't be afraid to ask for help. You CAN enjoy life, and you CAN have a rewarding existence.

I hope all the best for you. Send me a Direct Message if you'd like. I'll correspond with you. Send me your phone #, I'll call you and talk with you. No problem.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:50 PM

7,813 posts, read 10,710,873 times
Quote:

What makes human life so valuable that life is worth preserving for its own sake?
If anyone can accuately (and adequately) address the very same questions you ask, above, based upon his own experience, it would be Victor Frankl:

"It is here that we encounter the central theme of existentialism: to live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering. If there is a purpose in life at all, there must be a purpose in suffering and in dying. But no man can tell another what this purpose is. Each must find out for himself, and must accept the responsibility that his answer prescribes. If he succeeds he will continue to grow in spite of all indignities. Frankl is fond of quoting Nietzsche, 'He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how.' ....This ultimate freedom, recognized by the ancient Stoics as well as by modern existentialists, takes on vivid significance in Frankl's story. The prisoners were only average men, but some, at least, by choosing to be 'worthy of their suffering' proved man's capacity to rise above his outward fate."

http://www.spiritual-minds.com/philo...losophy)-o.pdf

(To read, increase the print font size to 75 or 100.)

Take gentle care.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-24-2010 at 06:07 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM

7,813 posts, read 10,710,873 times
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?"

~from poem by Mary Oliver.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:53 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,734,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Good grief, if you think you're "putting up" with life, you must be a depressing, boring person to hang out with. Anyone that can't find a good reason to be alive just isn't trying.
wow. thank you. the choice at this point is perfectly clear.

*not too p***ed to post?*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality