Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 05:52 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
They are one and the same, as far as I'm concerned. Marrying outside the faith is sad. It indicates that they don't take their faith seriously. It reallly doesn't matter if the person they're marrying is a different religion, or is an atheist -- it's that they don't share the thing that SHOULD be the most important thing in their lives.

Rarely have I seen a marriage between a Christian and a non-Christian thrive, while the Christian maintains a strong faith. It just doesn't happen. It's incredibly sad to see a woman sitting alone in church, knowing her husband is at home in bed and he doesn't share that with her. Worse yet is when I see such a woman stop coming to church because it's just easier to stay in bed on Sunday morning because none of her family cares to come with her.
That, I can understand because of Vizio's religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I just want my kids to be happy. My son (a non-practicing Mormon) is currently very serious with a non-practicing Hindu young woman. If they come to me one day and tell me they're engaged, I will be on cloud 9. If he were with the same girl but she were an atheist, I'd also be delighted to call her my daughter-in-law. In a perfect world, he and she would both be practicing Mormons, but hey, this isn't a perfect world.
That I can understand because of Katzpur's religion...and her personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
None of my kids married within the same religions and it is working out fine. If they wanted to marry an Atheist I would have had a huge problem with that.
You though...you stand out like a neon pink elephant.

Why? why, why, why, why, why?

Unless your offspring did something like convert from Methodists to Presbyterians I can't even guess what your reasoning is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 06:16 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
None of my kids married within the same religions and it is working out fine. If they wanted to marry an Atheist I would have had a huge problem with that.
It's ok to marry the Jewish belief system, Christian belief system, Muslim belief system, some type of tribal belief, or even a humanist belief system but if they married the atheist belief system you would have a problem?

Old 06-30-2015, 03:52 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
businessperson wrote:

Really? Then who exactly is the god that atheists worship? Your statement makes no sense at all. Atheism is the realization that god and supernatural beings are products of the human imagination and nothing more. I don't believe in any invisible beings with magical powers.
Then, I guess their "god" is the human imagination and nothing more. . That's sad, isn't it?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 AM

283 posts, read 369,989 times
It is none of my business who my children marry. They are adults and make their own decisions. I only wish happiness for them. Interesting, though, their mother and I had an extremely contentious relationship (she has schizophrenia), and all 3 of them live with their s/o's outside of marriage. After what they've seen, I can't blame them.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:02 AM

110 posts, read 86,691 times
I worked well for us.
I am an atheist. My wife was a staunch believer, so were her parents. We made compromises. I endured the religious marriage ceremony with a smile and she went to church on her own without giving me a hard time about it.
Our kids are baptized and went to church with her, but when they wanted to stop going, they stopped going.

I didn't fight her parents, they liked me for who I was, not for what I believed in and as long as I was there for the big days (christmas, easter, ...) and just went along with it, no problem. Her mother did haunt me for 25 years, trying to convert me, but I resisted :-)

My kids are now all atheists. I don't know the reason, they just abandoned it at some point.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:51 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
An atheist would be worse than someone of a different religion, but both would be about equal if they they didnt sabotage the religious upbringing of my grandchildren.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:53 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrr View Post
I worked well for us.
I am an atheist. My wife was a staunch believer, so were her parents. We made compromises. I endured the religious marriage ceremony with a smile and she went to church on her own without giving me a hard time about it.
Our kids are baptized and went to church with her, but when they wanted to stop going, they stopped going.

I didn't fight her parents, they liked me for who I was, not for what I believed in and as long as I was there for the big days (christmas, easter, ...) and just went along with it, no problem. Her mother did haunt me for 25 years, trying to convert me, but I resisted :-)

My kids are now all atheists. I don't know the reason, they just abandoned it at some point.
This is very fair. The children got a framework in which to decide for themselves.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:02 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
There's bump -up of a blast from the past .

Old 04-14-2021, 11:38 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
When my two sons began to show interest in girls, I could have cared less what religion, if any, that the girls followed, I just wanted them to respect girls, and be happy.
I don’t know how my wife felt, we’d been divorced for years, but she probably felt similarly to me.
Bear in mind that my kids were chasing girls from the early eighties, in those days Muslims were an unknown quantity, who existed only in areas of the mid east and North Africa.
The elder son got married, and gradually I was provided with two grandsons, when the eldest of these two discovered girls, he took after his grandpa, and was happy to date a girl for a few months, then catch sight of another, and start over with her.
His younger brother started dating a Turko-German girl, (my kid and his family live in Germany), this was around ten years after 9/11, and I asked my German daughter-in-law how she felt about the Islam thing.
She said, “Defne thinks that the sun shines out of Mark’s eyes, and her parents treat him as a son, they’re not religious, they don’t go to a mosque, and Defne’s dad drinks almost as much vodka as you.”
My younger son got married just after his fiancée had popped out my third grandson, he’s now 18, and is definitely taking an interest in the opposite sex.
Four years after my third grandson, his sister, my one and only granddaughter appeared.
According to her dad, she won’t be allowed out until she’s at least 38, but then she can date who she likes, black, white, green, or blue, and he can follow whatever religion suits him, for she has her mother’s brains and common sense, the only stipulation will be that he mustn’t be a fan of her dad’s soccer team’s deadly rivals.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:40 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
All I can tell you is that every divorced person I have ever known was a self-professed religious person, and almost all were christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality