Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_DARLING View Post
What is the ultimate destiny of non-believers?
Heaven.

Quote:
Do Christians believe that they will be thrown into the Lake of Fire?
Some do. Others do not.

Quote:
If so I personally think that at least this kind of Christianty is totally discredited.
You and me both.

Quote:
What about Jewish people who don't believe? Will there be some Jews who were murdered by the Nazis in or destined for this Lake of Fire?
The opportunity to accept the gospel of Jesus Christ does not end at death. Millions have lived without ever having heard of Christ. Others (including the Jews who died in the Holocaust) certainly did not get an accurate picture of what true Christianity is all about. They'll have that chance, as will everyone who has ever lived. This chance will be given during the time between when a person dies and when he is resurrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 12:43 AM

689 posts, read 549,501 times
Quote:
What is the ultimate destiny of non-believers? Do Christians believe that they will be thrown into the Lake of Fire? If so I personally think that at least this kind of Christianty is totally discredited. What about Jewish people who don't believe? Will there be some Jews who were murdered by the Nazis in or destined for this Lake of Fire?
It goes somehow like this, if you break the laws, you'll be sent to jail, whether you knew the laws or not, read the laws or not, studied in the faculty of law or not. You will be judged and sent to jail anyway.

Similarly, God's Law is embedded to your heart and soul. If you break it, you'll be driven out of His kingdom and put to jail. Adam broke the Law and was driven out of Eden. Next time we'll be in a permanent separation from God.

In a permanent separation from God, God will remove whatever belong to Him from you, including light. You won't have much left except for the darkness where you stay. It is thus a place called hell. From that onward you spend your time as a prisoner. It is prophecied that some (if not all) of you will continue to sin against God, finally the hell fire will appear.

Jews are under Mosaic Law, and Moses will be their accuser on the judgment day.

John 5:45
"But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set.

As for the Gentiles, perhaps Satan will accuss them of sinning. It is said that he's an ex-archangel and with some capability, and accussing seems to be his specialty.

Revelation 12:10
Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: "Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ. For the accuser of our brothers, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.

Find yourself a good lawyer.

Alternatively, you may choose to believe in Jesus Christ such that the judgment by law can be avoided.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
First I think some here are, probably unintentionally, implying that being a non-believer in Christianity is the same as being a non-theist. I think the OP is referring to non-believers in Christianity, or maybe in religion in general, but not limiting it to people who disbelieve in God or the afterlife.

Second what happens depends on a variety of factors. Like how aware they are of Christianity, how they treat others, and how much they obeyed moral standards that should be obvious to all. (Like the universals/quasi-universals of don't desecrate, don't have sex with your mother, don't murder your loved ones, etc) There are also likely factors we're unaware of.

I've heard some Eastern Orthodox believe John the Baptist will come to the non-believer at death and give them the choice of belief or disbelief.

In the case of atheists if they truly do not want God in their life than I've come to believe it would be wrong to force Heaven on them. So in the technical sense of the word they go to Hell, but possibly only in the technical sense of Hell as an imprisonment that separates you eternally from God and the faithful. This is more my own thinking on the matter than something I can cite to support. Non-existence is a punishment, to me, too horrible for anyone and Catholicism generally teaches God doesn't do that.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:27 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,152 times
Quote:
What is the ultimate destiny of non-believers? Do Christians believe that they will be thrown into the Lake of Fire?
Quote:
What about Jewish people who don't believe? Will there be some Jews who were murdered by the Nazis in or destined for this Lake of Fire?
this is the "orthodox" view since about 550 AD, so possibly the majority of "churchianity" believes it, Jews are not excluded from that fate; Martin Luther condemned the Jews altogether to the deepest hell.

Quote:
If so I personally think that at least this kind of Christianty is totally discredited.
I agree with you, however according to my conviction it is not biblical

see here e.g.:

Concordant Expositions (html format)

biblical studies: The Lake of Fire

The Restitution of All Things

Quote:
In a permanent separation from God, God will remove whatever belong to Him from you, including light. You won't have much left except for the darkness where you stay. It is thus a place called hell. From that onward you spend your time as a prisoner. It is prophecied that some (if not all) of you will continue to sin against God, finally the hell fire will appear.
wouldn't that include life/existence altogether and equate annihilation?

Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
I'm confused Allen, you mean you don't say things like this?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...l#post14256314
I didn't say they end up in hell. The question the person asked was if people who are in hell get to progress out. And I gave him my answer. They don't. So your point is what?

Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times
The real question is: do you really want the truth? Or, do you merely want something that gives you a false sense of well being? It really doesn't matter about my opinion, your opinion and/or others' opinions. The only opinion that will stand is God's. So, we better humble ourselves way down to seek Him with all sincerity. The consequences for being wrong are too unbearable.

Rev. 21
[6] And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
[7] He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
[8] But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:05 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Hell is for satan and all his fallen angels, don`t let satan and all his fallen angels be your spiritual Lord , there is only two choices to make in this temporal life on the earth either you chose the truth of Lord Jesus Christ or you chose satan and his fallen angels as your Spiritual Lord , Just like and election we chose this party of Government or that party of Government, if we spoil our vote or don`t vote we get the whatever ,,,, Jesus says close Lord Jesus Christ and get life, or don`t chose and get what ever.....

Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Jews believe in a world to come, kind of. Everyone goes there, there is no hell. There are different levels of "heaven" though, and Jews go to the highest. I'm not sure how one heaven will be better than others?

Christians believe there is a heaven, and a hell. Some sects of Christianity believe that those who don't believe, yet are moral, just stay in purgatory forever.

Islam is a bit tricky. Some believe, as Christians, that all non believers, no matter how good, will go directly to hell. Yet, there are others that believe that Allah will simply weigh your deeds on Earth, and that if you did more good than bad, you go to paradise. Following Islam, is simply a way of ensuring that Muhammad and Allah will look at you in a favorable life. Christians can still get into heaven, as long as they were good people.

And others believe in Nirvana, others believe in resurrection, and others believe in sacred circles.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:04 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
I don't know why people are wasting their energy typing away. Unbelievers know exactly what is to become of them. They made their choice. Now we should be concerned about ourselves. I have no patience or empathy for people who continually insult and demean the name of the Lord in vicious attacks of arrogance, ignorance, and sarcasm. They are the ones the bible describes as hiding in caves when Jesus return because of their cowardice to face him. The bully on the playground always gets their just deserts and they will suffer the consequences of being that bully. That's all there is to it.

Well anywho, now I think I will go have some ice cream, hamburger & fries! Yum! God bless!

Old 05-28-2010, 06:11 PM

345 posts, read 643,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The only reason unbelievers don't believe is because they have a fear of hell. All of them. They fear hell so they decide to reject the notion of a God and Heaven/Hell because they know the consequences that the bible foretells about it. And they STILL choose to not believe. Well, that's their fish to fry. I got my own life and salvation to worry about.
Your logic baffles me. I am an unbeliever, and I don't fear hell, so...you're wrong already. At an earlier point in my life, I did call myself a christian. One of the main factors that drove me down that path was...fear of hell. Never mind that hell is scarcely discussed in the bible, but I think it's safe to say that most believers fear an eternity of suffering. Being that I am not a believer...I don't believe in hell, thus, why would I fear what I don't believe in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality