Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 08:23 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times

Advertisements

Matthew 4; Jesus was put to the test by Satan ,see what Jesus said .
Tempting God is not an option ,nor is manipulation . God is not manipulated .
Matthew 7;21,22,23, Jesus warns of those that use His name for their own means .
Know all that is recorded in scriptures, Jesus said, don't be cherry picking your favorites.
The test is not if you can successfully conjure a miracle, even using Jesus name.
The test is obedience to God through the guidance of the Holy Spirit Jesus provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 08:27 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Jesus’ test for faith. Have you tested your faith?

Matthew 17:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Many believers that I speak with state that they have faith in God yet no one has yet stepped up as Jesus indicates above to prove their faith sound and justified.
As a Deist, I would not accept my own paradigm before testing it for soundness and I was rewarded for challenging the Godhead to show itself. It was that or I was going to scrap my view of life and begin anew.
Most believers do not tend to test their faith in their relationship with God in any real way. Many claim a personal relationship without ever having a personal encounter with God.
The ancients are said to have tested their faith and been rewarded, by God helping them do miracles. Moses is a good example of this.
If a man does not test his faith and prove it, then it is just an empty claim.

Have you tested your faith or indeed, should you test it the way Jesus asked?

In any scientific endeavor or claim, it must always be proven.
Should those of faith not have to live by this same rule since most who debate them must?

Where I come from, reciprocity is fair play yet believers do not seem to play this way.

Regards
DL
Since the above quote was written by the author of Gospel Matthew and not Jesus, I have no faith that Jesus said any such thing.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:55 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,082,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
There is an easier way to test your 'faith' without even having to go outside your door. Try this....

I bet you my pension he doesn't catch you Miss H
Ha !

So in your understanding, one should try to defy the laws of physics and laws of nature (that are universal for both believers and non-believers) by prayers, just to test his faith?

Old 10-29-2018, 01:42 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What I was referring to was that what you do (works) shows your faith. How are you showing love to God and others? That will reveal your level of faith.
What does it matter? Are you seriously telling us that God is going to send a believer to hell for loving God and believing in Jesus but not running about after the Poor? Well, perhaps you'd be right because the Gospels say that works without Faith is sterile and Faith without works is lame (to crib from Einstein), so often.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:02 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
What does it matter? Are you seriously telling us that God is going to send a believer to hell for loving God and believing in Jesus but not running about after the Poor? Well, perhaps you'd be right because the Gospels say that works without Faith is sterile and Faith without works is lame (to crib from Einstein), so often.
No, I’m not saying that. James 2 says “...I will show you my faith by my works.” We show our faith by using the spiritual gift(s) God gives us.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:02 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Ha !

So in your understanding, one should try to defy the laws of physics and laws of nature (that are universal for both believers and non-believers) by prayers, just to test his faith?
Ha indeed

"And it came to pass that as St John, or Paul, or maybe it was Ringo preachethed unto the people of Epirus, or it may have been Pelusium or Colophon, "Whatever ye asketheth of the lord in Faith, he will grant it, even if it be to fly in the air or to cast ones'self to the ground and penetrate it as a fish penetrateth water!"

11. And they said unto him, "Ok, let's see you then?"

And he whispered an hurried prayer: "Lord, what the heck do I do now?"

And the Lord saithed back unto him: "Fear not, I shall do all for thee." And he flung himself from the top of the Areopagus, or it may have been the Acropolis or the Pynx, and he was verily smashethed upon the stony ground.

12 And it came to pass that he found himself vis a vis with the Lord, who regardethed his gravely, resting His chin upon His hand; and he said unto the other saint, standing before Him, "I bet you had no idea that i had a sense of hunor
."

Here endetheth the lesson, let he who hath ears, pay heed, and Go Thou and do not likewise. Let us now sing hymnmn number 69..69..."

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-29-2018 at 02:18 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 02:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No, I’m not saying that. James 2 says “...I will show you my faith by my works.” We show our faith by using the spiritual gift(s) God gives us.
faith in something greater than a human is far different than asking people to dump common sense to follow a literal death, waking up, and flying away. Telling people they are born sinners (or that animals have some secret special relationship with nature) are magical toys needed by spiritual children.

lmao, spiritual children, I was just stealing a phrase there.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:32 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
faith in something greater than a human is far different than asking people to dump common sense to follow a literal death, waking up, and flying away. Telling people they are born sinners (or that animals have some secret special relationship with nature) are magical toys needed by spiritual children.

lmao, spiritual children, I was just stealing a phrase there.
What does that have to do with my post?

Old 10-29-2018, 02:37 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Other than falling backwards, are there any other instructions on how to test your faith?

I don't mind testing my beliefs but I wouldn't put other beings or supernatural beings to a test that my faith depended on.
yeah, would you turn in a family member that is doing wrong? Do people side with others based on a statement of belief or actions? do we not apply the same rigor to our statement of belief because one, erroneously, perceives it as hurting it, thus making it harder too sell?

there are all kinds of tests.

You are correct, the universe doesn't test you. It only knows that without evil there can be no amazing grace.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:00 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Jesus’ test for faith. Have you tested your faith?

Matthew 17:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
I did just notice that mountain was bolded.
I use this quote in teaching often ...ha, but I emphasize say...funny how we tune in to diff aspects.
I underlined 'nothing'.

What I often point out, that to me is fascinating...Jesus never says ...
Pray
to me to move the mountain...Pray to the Father in my name to move the mountain....
ask
to move mountain....
beg, plead, cry, wish, imagine to move the mountain...does he?
That is very imp when you go to the bedside to heal someone of a tumor or cancer or to
simply live when they are on life support only.

One of THE most imp instructions to a healer. One must have the eyes to understand this one
if they are to go out and heal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality