Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 05:21 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times

Advertisements

When I visit my Mother and StepFather up in Montana they always say grace before every meal. Of course I bow my head out of respect for them and pretend that I'm communicating a message of appreciation to the Big Fella for generously taking time out of his busy day to provide us with the meat loaf and mashed potatoes and gravy and of course a little extra thanks is due for that glass of red wine and I'll be even more grateful after the second. However, this does seem rather confusing to me because I'm quite sure that my Mother and StepFather actually purchased all of the ingredients for this meal at the supermarket including the beloved red wine. I really don't ever recall an instance when we've ever received a mysterious basket on the doorstep filled with a deliciously prepared meal from you know Who. And yet there's a flurry of messages directed to The Eternal Cook around meal time from all over the land from the grateful recipients of ham sandwiches and potato salad in Des Moines, Iowa to the delighted gathering in Pensacola, Florida who've been presented with fried chicken and corn on the cob. Could someone please explain this to me???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 05:28 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
MG you really need to keep save this stuff somewhere and put it in a book...you are quite good at turning a phrase! Just love the reference to the Eternal Cook!..LOL

Now my answer to you about why it is done is simple gratitude. Irregardless of if you direct that gratitude to God or the Universe or whatever. It is always good to reflect upon what you have and be thankful for it. It is said at mealtime because generally that is a time of day when the entire family (sadly this part isn't so much true with all the business of today's lives ) is together. If you notice although yes the meal is usually included, thanks and praise is usually given for other things as well. Look at it this way....yes your parents purchased and cooked the food but to them they are thanking and praising God for allowing them to be able to be here to go out and earn a good wage to provide a meal for their family. Does that make any sense?

Old 06-16-2007, 05:40 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights,..." James 1:17

Therefore our acknowledgement and thankfulness is owed to God. Yes, Mom and Dad may buy the stuff or grow the stuff, Mom may spend half a day cooking it, but God made it possible.

We take it so for granted that we're going to have all the food we want whenever we want it that we frequently forget how blessed we are. I imagine many of us would be on our knees thanking God for food if we had to face famine or starvation.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:50 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights,..." James 1:17

Therefore our acknowledgement and thankfulness is owed to God. Yes, Mom and Dad may buy the stuff or grow the stuff, Mom may spend half a day cooking it, but God made it possible.

We take it so for granted that we're going to have all the food we want whenever we want it that we frequently forget how blessed we are. I imagine many of us would be on our knees thanking God for food if we had to face famine or starvation.
Very good answers, Nana and Irishmom. One of my former pastors used to say (joking) that if you don't, you'll choke on it! But I don't think this is the reason! Also, I might add that Jesus who is our example, thanked the Father before a meal.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:39 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
My Dad told me a prayer he had spoken as a child at the dinner table, his Mother was a fervrent Adventist so this one stirred up some trouble.

"Bless the meat, Damn the skin, Open your mouth and cram it in"

Old 06-17-2007, 08:57 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times
Lisa, You are simply hilarious! Bless that second glass of wine! Gets us through dinner with the parents!

Old 06-17-2007, 09:35 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,477 times
Well, I would like to know why it's called "saying Grace." Seems silly to me to say Grace before every meal. My wife's name is not Grace.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:04 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art R View Post
Shouldn't the farmer be in the loop someplace?

Absolutely! But since my dad was a farmer, that was understood. He always said that most farmers were Godfearing because their very livelihood depended on the weather.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:14 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,844 times
It is what Christians are instructed to do.

John 6:11
And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would.

Romans 14:6
He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

MBG

Old 06-17-2007, 12:34 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
Also, isn't it supposed to help with digestion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality