U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2007, 08:03 AM
 
1,031 posts, read 1,416,534 times
Reputation: 380

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I think this sums it up pretty well. In my relationship with my Creator, I don't think of Him as male or female, but as a Spirit. I use the male connotation because of the reasons listed above, and, well...gotta use ONE of 'em.
Is calling a deity "it" considered demeaning? I would think it would not. I mean, there are three kinds of third-person pronouns, not two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2007, 02:10 PM
 
124 posts, read 250,037 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
Well, in Christianity it is pretty widely believed that God is a male, in Mormon Christianity we believe that God is a male but that he has a wife who is equally as supreme, he just doesn't talk about her because we already take his name in vain and he doesn't want such disrespect on his wife (I don't think that's the best way that our beliefs could be described, but that's the best I could do) Jews on the other hand, many don't believe that God has a specific gender, if you look into the Hebrew language, you will notice that there is no neuter gender, that is what some Jewish scholars say is the reason God is referred to as male, they would have to describe him as male or female and since the concept was born into a patriarchle society God was referred to as a male. And in English we don't really have much of a neuter gender form either, I believe God is a male, but even if he had no gender, I think it would be much more respectful to refer to God as He rather than It.
If we took her name in vain would we say God Wife D-- instead of G0D D--?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,865 times
Reputation: 12
Cool No, we don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I think this sums it up pretty well. In my relationship with my Creator, I don't think of Him as male or female, but as a Spirit. I use the male connotation because of the reasons listed above, and, well...gotta use ONE of 'em.

No, we don't "gotta use ONE of 'em". I consciously broke the habit of referring to God as "He" or "Him" a couple of years ago. It is not easy, but can be done, and it can completely reorient one's thinking and perception of the Great Spirit when accomplished. When I speak of "God" I speak carefully, as one should if one is truly reverent. Referring to the most awesome "power" in our known universe casually and irreverently as "He" or "Him" or pretending to know "His" will only serves to further anthropomorphize that which cannot be bound by human definition. Every time I hear an otherwise apparently "spiritually evolved" woman refer to God as "He" I marvel at her willingness to subvert her will and her worth to the Patriarchy which created this perverse notion of God.

We were each created in the "image" of God, a spiritual microcosm existing within each of us, a perfect model of the whole. God "made" us perfect. We then took it upon ourselves to re-create God in "our" image, a self-limiting, jealous, and angry deity, who is at the same time merciful and vengeful, loving and damning. We are born a reflection of God, then we turn God into a reflection of us, and blame the "bad" parts on the "Devil". Such folly.

It does serve to keep the Church pews and coffers full, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 PM
 
4,669 posts, read 1,620,132 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't think that anyone who believes in God conceives of him as having a sexual nature, either male or female, so why do we always refer to God as a male? If either gender were appropriate I would think that the female gender would be more descriptive of a being that "gave birth" so to speak to the entire universe and all living things including human beings. I suspect that the answer is because the concept of a God was developed in a male dominated society and the greatness and all knowing nature of a powerful God couldn't be bestowed upon a simple woman. Still, wouldn't it make more sense to refer to God in a non gender manner?

Maybe it's because that's how he referred to himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
 
4,175 posts, read 4,061,987 times
Reputation: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I think this sums it up pretty well. In my relationship with my Creator, I don't think of Him as male or female, but as a Spirit. I use the male connotation because of the reasons listed above, and, well...gotta use ONE of 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Maybe it's because that's how he referred to himself?
kdbirch: Philosophically, if you say god is a "he", that implies there must be a "she" somewhere. Afterall the intelligent design on earth involves a man and a woman. Wouldn't jeffcandace's use of "spirit" make more sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,865 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Is calling a deity "it" considered demeaning? I would think it would not. I mean, there are three kinds of third-person pronouns, not two.
I would not consider the descriptive "It" to be demeaning, but it does have the problem of being limiting and is still an attempt to describe the indescribable in one syllable, no small feat.

I have settled on the term "IS".

Either God is, or God isn't. All other presumptions are subjective attempts to validate the existence (or non-existence) of the "unknowable". Once we move beyond the need to describe, name, qualify, justify, or prove the "existence" of that which is so evident to some and so apparently invisible to others, perhaps we can finally be about the reason we are here which is to evolve into "non-denominational" loving beings. Losing our "Religion" may hold the only hope for man's continued existence on this planet.

God never changes. Human interpretation of "God's will" is unfortunately not so constant.

Blessings.

G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 12:36 PM
 
4,669 posts, read 1,620,132 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
kdbirch: Philosophically, if you say god is a "he", that implies there must be a "she" somewhere. Afterall the intelligent design on earth involves a man and a woman. Wouldn't jeffcandace's use of "spirit" make more sense?

no. it doesn't imply anything of the sort. God is one--there is none like him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 12:39 PM
 
4,175 posts, read 4,061,987 times
Reputation: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
no. it doesn't imply anything of the sort. God is one--there is none like him.
I guess we have different interpretations when -assuming you are right -god refers to himself as a he.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 02:32 PM
 
Location: NYC area
3,486 posts, read 3,386,846 times
Reputation: 3745
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't think that anyone who believes in God conceives of him as having a sexual nature, either male or female, so why do we always refer to God as a male? If either gender were appropriate I would think that the female gender would be more descriptive of a being that "gave birth" so to speak to the entire universe and all living things including human beings. I suspect that the answer is because the concept of a God was developed in a male dominated society and the greatness and all knowing nature of a powerful God couldn't be bestowed upon a simple woman. Still, wouldn't it make more sense to refer to God in a non gender manner?
That just demonstrates what was lost in translation. In the original Hebrew, there are several ways to refer to God, some masculine, some feminine, and some (believe it or not) plural. (Hebrew is a gendered language, but has no neuter.) To a historian, that illustrates the evolution of monotheism from polytheism. To a religious person -- the indefinable and multifaceted nature of God. As a matter of Jewish theology, however, it's quite settled that God has no gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM
 
995 posts, read 825,125 times
Reputation: 115
"Say: He is God, the One and Only;
God, the Eternal, Absolute;
He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
And there is none like unto Him"

There....simple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top