Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,168,745 times

Advertisements

My brother cast off his mortal coil on 13 March 2010. A nationwide organization cremated his body for less than $1300. They were very professional, and I recommend them. (I'm not mentioning their name because it might violate the TOS...if you want to know, PM me.) We were/are both atheists, so the god question didn't enter into it. I regard cremation as much preferable to the embalming/burial of the remains (and not just because of the financial aspect).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 04:17 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,942,058 times
Catman, my sympathies on your loss. I hope you have fond memories to sustain you.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:35 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,452,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
I guess I was looking to see if anyone will say "you are going to he11 if you get your body cremated".
Just turns it to dust faster. Lots of Christian martyrs have had their bodies burned to ashes over the millennia, and innocent souls have had their bodies burnt to ashes by evil men and rulers [like the NAZI's did to the Jews].

The body will be resurrected for the soul that wore it to wear eternally, by the Creator who designed it and gave each body its own unigue DNA code; whether to the resurrection to Life or the resurrection to death [the death that is the eternal separation from God, not from the body].

Old 05-07-2010, 12:09 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,761,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Just turns it to dust faster. Lots of Christian martyrs have had their bodies burned to ashes over the millennia, and innocent souls have had their bodies burnt to ashes by evil men and rulers [like the NAZI's did to the Jews].

The body will be resurrected for the soul that wore it to wear eternally, by the Creator who designed it and gave each body its own unigue DNA code; whether to the resurrection to Life or the resurrection to death [the death that is the eternal separation from God, not from the body].
That's completely true, and in fact still occurs in this day. However the Early Church ( Headed by the 12 Holy Apostles and later the 70 Apostles) taught from the very beginning that the proper & respectful way to deal with the remains of Christians was (and still is...) to cleanse and anoint the body with oils and to bury it in the ground.

The burning (cremating) of bodies follows pagan and heathen customs and the early Christians were careful to not follow pagan customs. This was taught in the Church of the time just after Christ's Death, Resurrection and Ascension into Heaven.

These things are known from Holy Tradition. . . I'm quite certain that one or another of the Ecumenical Councils dealt with this in writing. The burning of the body or the embalming of the body was not done in the Christian church of the 1st Century AD. Most people here in the west do not know or care about the fact that in doing cremation and embalming, that these are pagan practices.

But what is true (and scarcely known here in the West) is that the Church of those first years is still following Holy Scripture and Holy Tradition. The two go together; in fact Holy Tradition (the practice of the Faith) came first and it wasn't until about AD 70 that the Holy Apostles and others began to write what became Holy Scripture.

It's really a huge subject; today the Church is known as Eastern Christian Orthodoxy. And you have Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, etc, according to the various Patriarchates.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 875 times
I believe our body and soul seperate at the moment of death or shortly thereafter. So from everything I have gathered biblically our bodies are just a temporary vesel in which our soul,spirit dwell. When God carries us into heaven we are given new bodies with which we will have no sickness or pain. So to me the body will be just an empty wrapper. I am going to be cremated with all that in mind and also I don't want to waste a plot of land or make someone have to tend it. Besides our God is so great that He createdthe heavens and the earth and every living thing in it so you really think it would mess Him up for my physical body to be destroyed by fire. I DON'T! What about the people that get physically consumed by fire in their home or the twin towers.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:46 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,837,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
That's completely true, and in fact still occurs in this day. However the Early Church ( Headed by the 12 Holy Apostles and later the 70 Apostles) taught from the very beginning that the proper & respectful way to deal with the remains of Christians was (and still is...) to cleanse and anoint the body with oils and to bury it in the ground.

The burning (cremating) of bodies follows pagan and heathen customs and the early Christians were careful to not follow pagan customs. This was taught in the Church of the time just after Christ's Death, Resurrection and Ascension into Heaven.

These things are known from Holy Tradition. . . I'm quite certain that one or another of the Ecumenical Councils dealt with this in writing. The burning of the body or the embalming of the body was not done in the Christian church of the 1st Century AD. Most people here in the west do not know or care about the fact that in doing cremation and embalming, that these are pagan practices.

But what is true (and scarcely known here in the West) is that the Church of those first years is still following Holy Scripture and Holy Tradition. The two go together; in fact Holy Tradition (the practice of the Faith) came first and it wasn't until about AD 70 that the Holy Apostles and others began to write what became Holy Scripture.

It's really a huge subject; today the Church is known as Eastern Christian Orthodoxy. And you have Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, etc, according to the various Patriarchates.

The body is supposed to be felt alive eternally. Oh ****. So, on the other hand, the eternal life is to be procured by this sort of repetitive will, like saving for alms, or performing the sacrificial right at mass every week with a load of wafers.

And God, the creator, is speculated about from the divine providence of minds tolerating and abhorring one another. and alas the devil is for and because of the free will. Cremation needs as much speculation is my view but that shan't be tolerated. Do we start speculating OR do we start saving money or something.

The subject just is not so important these days. There is the problem of people dying in the streets due to their misunderstood lives.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:40 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,117,658 times
I'd like to be cremated. There's only so much room for cemeteries on this planet. If I am to be given a new body at the Resurrection and live on new earth, does it matter what happens to the body I'm currently using? It is destined for grave and worm, anyway.

Last edited by Theophane; 11-06-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 04:23 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,615,479 times
Well that's a helluva way of looking at it Theophane. There's plenty of room for cemetary's, you just haven't traveled outside the city. OMG, it would blow your mind. I make the best of wherever I am but this area has got to be the best ever place to be in Autumn. Go to Upstate South Carolina, you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm watching Homeland on Showtime, don't we have a moral obligation to say something?

I'm quoting myself here, the girl on Homeland (Claire Danes) is the one to watch, along with Mandy Patinkin, watch and see if they aren't both nominated at least.

Last edited by Ilene Wright; 11-06-2011 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,176,909 times
If we know about history, god must have liked the idea of people being burnt, even while they are still alive.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:58 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,248,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
I'd like to be cremated. There's only so much room for cemeteries on this planet. If I am to be given a new body at the Resurrection and live on new earth, does it matter what happens to the body I'm currently using? It is destined for grave and worm, anyway.
worms gotta eat too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality