U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:55 AM

36 posts, read 70,726 times

Advertisements

I think you addressed a good concern: "Single scene- I'm currently unattacted. Most people I know or have met up there are partnered up if not already married. What's the single scene like? Meeting new people - how friendly are the locals? Social networking?"

I think we can be in seemingly lonely places like Idaho, or Alaska and be extremely fulfilled just because of the people (friends, etc) we're with.

Yes, you can go to Artown (currently happening), Bibo's Or Jungle Vino (local hang out bar,wine), or even Edge, to meet people.

But what I've seen people really build relationships is in organized institutions like church (even if you're not religious, there are some really good churches in Reno-Sparks) or a local Pet Lover's organization. Anything that you're passionate about. These organizations meet at specific times and I think that sort of predictability attracts quality people, hence, better relationships (for the most part).

You can message me if you need help finding these people/orgs. I'm sure I'll know someone who's part of a passion you have =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 03:32 PM

14 posts, read 26,423 times
Reno has a lot to offer if you make sure to adjust your living standards to be below whatever you are making-that's true of wherever you live. Live modestly and clean and you will be able to enjoy the most of what there is to do here. If you ski, we have it. If you mountain bike, we have it. If you like clubbing and that scene, we have it. If you like college sports, we are a college town-a very good one at that in case you might want to pursue some further education. Maybe you will develop new interests like windsurfing, mining, prospecting, gold hunting, dirt biking, fly fishing, lake fishing, boating, hiking, hang gliding, getting your pilot's license (Nevada is perfect flying country and Reno is highly in touch with this-check out the Reno Air Races), classic cars? we have it. Harley Boy? we have it (Street Vibrations). Like barbecue? Check out the Nugget Rib cook off. Fresh vegetables? I don't know how many farmers markets we have but there are a ton. We live right next door to California and we don't pay California tax. No state income tax in Nevada. Wide open spaces and big blue sky? we have it. Like wildlife?-check out a Nevada hawk riding the thermals while he scans the ground looking for lunch-or even better, go drive for five minutes up any dirt road on the outskirts of town and check out a herd of wild mustangs. As far as singles go, I met my wife within the first month of my arriving here 20 years ago and we are still married-she taught me how to fly fish (you go, Reno girl!) I don't buy that there is nothing to do here and the above is a testament to that. But wait there's more-are you a solid gold freak and like to mix it up with others of your ilk? Check out Burning Man in the Black Rock Desert. God knows we have gambling. yes we have liberal gun laws (amen). And if you are tired of struggling with the singles scene and need a little lovin' and don't mind paying for it-we do have legalized prostitution. So, as the bumper stickers attest, we like our music loud, our beer cold and our state wild-maybe you will too.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:34 PM

30 posts, read 92,838 times
Over a year in to our move to Reno...

I've lived in places like San Diego, Monterey, St. Louis. Chicago, Spokane, LA for some perspective.

To confirm what another poster said... living in the Bay Area... you've seen traffic. You've seen gridlock. You will not see what you define as gridlock in this city. I'm pretty certain of this. Actually of all the cities I've ever lived in... this has the least gridlock around... even small town Monterey... highway 1 was a mad house at the wrong time of day.

Living in so many areas of the country... this is the most important question... which type of region do you like the most. I'm guessing Philly poster likes the east coast... High Desert is just that... High Desert. I'm sure you have been up into the area several times being from the bay area. That's really more on you.

Personally the few times my wife and I have gotten sick of "being in Reno" we drive to lake tahoe... and I'm not some like tree hugging hippie... but it just reminds you of how lucky you are to live here. If you get those feelings here... etc... go for it. If not... fine...

As for social life... etc... with a city this large... there will always be people will shared interests and willing to get to know you... it's partly about putting yourself out there. So that one is also on you.

If you love the outdoor life... you'll love this city... if you're only so so on true outdoorsy activities.. there might be a better fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area