Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 02:40 AM

7 posts, read 27,278 times

Advertisements

Hello all

Moved to Reno this summer and love it !!!

I own a 2005 FWD Acura TL. It looks like I will be getting a job as a privet contractor that will require me to drive from Reno to Truckee I-80 then down 267 to Kings beach , then back to Reno 431 (mount rose highway)

I will have to use my own vehicle for this drive and will be doing it m-f leaving Reno at 3PM

I have never lived in a place where it snows. What type of tires do I need to safely do this drive ? I'm willing to buy a new set of rims and tires. I looked on tire rack and have no clue what would be best.

Should I buy studded snow tires ? Should I buy non studded snow tires along with tire chains ? What brands of tires ect ect.

Any help at all would be great. I want to be safe while doing this drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:20 AM

197 posts, read 509,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontai View Post
Hello all

Moved to Reno this summer and love it !!!
snow tires along with tire chains ? What brands of tires ect ect.

Any help at all would be great. I want to be safe while doing this drive.

CONGRATULATIONS and welcome : )

You are definitely going to want to be prepared with chains for the drive you are expecting to take. That route will likely require snow tires and chains throughout the winter. When you make the drive, you will notice there are areas to chain up and they literally close the roads to cars without them.

Because I'm not a tire expert and want you to have a safe winter of driving ---- I recommend visiting my friends at Discount Tire (they are in Sparks off of Pyramid)...these guys provide fair and honest assessments as well as good price for great tires.

Moderator cut: Advertising

Last edited by mattyj46; 10-13-2011 at 11:54 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 02:35 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink Awd

Forget the studded snow tires, and buy a new car.

The proper tires are important, but if you'll be in a situation where you are regularly required to use chains, and it sounds that way, then do yourself a favor and bypass that nasty task. Unlike places in the Rocky Mountain west, such as Colorado, California often does require chains on snow packed roads. With some reason, as the snow is generally wetter and more slippery. I know one can run into such requirements over Donner Pass on I-80, and it may be that Truckee is just far enough west and high enough to warrant such restrictions at times as well -- as in requiring chains.

On anything that isn't four wheel drive, that is. Front wheel drive, such as with an Acura, is perfectly fine on snow packed but otherwise plowed roads. But not as solid or easy to drive as with all wheel drive, such as one will find in a Subaru or Audi. Thus just the reason that having such a vehicle will make your commute all the easier and safer. But if it comes to being required to using chains very often, then chances you'll begin thinking of this equation quite seriously. Using chains when necessary is the best recourse, but no fun at all, particularly if anything more than infrequent use.

Aside from this, yes, the proper tires are important in snow, whatever the type of vehicle. Chances are you will not need studded tires, as they are most effective on ice, and otherwise a pain. Check with locals on this. The snow is usually wet there, and if you happen to run into a lot of freeze/thaw cycles where ice is present, then studs might be warranted. But good dedicated winter tires are the next best thing on ice. Generally good all-season mud and snow tires are sufficient on snow, but dedicated winter tires are just that much better, and surely preferred if one has regular occasion to use them, in all weather.

Being the Sierra Nevada, the sun is often out and the roads largely clear and dry. But it also snows a lot, and with any regular commute you'll see it all. If a relatively short distance, a big difference in conditions between Reno, Truckee and Kings Beach.

Do no more than get decent winter tires now if you must. But in time, perhaps sooner than later, you may have cause to reflect on the greater ease and safety that AWD will afford.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:16 AM

7 posts, read 27,278 times
Idunn and tanmctee Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post

Idunn thank you for the info about studded tires. I was under the impression that studded tires were better in all snow but I did not factor in different types of snow.

Sounds like my best bet with my current car is to get some non studded snow tires and a set of chains

Sounds like AWD would be best. If I feel unsafe with my FWD car I will look into a cheap Subaru. Would rather not buy a second car, although a do love the look of the 04-05 WRX's.

If anyone has input of brands of snow tires I'm all ears. I read reviews on Tire Rack and everyone seems to think there current tire is the best thing ever made

Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM

13 posts, read 24,896 times
In SW PA, I'm rather partial to Yokohama Geolander AT's as my general purpose tire. The past few years though, I've gone with Blizzak Winterforce, or the most aggressive recap I could find, during the 1 month a year of MAJOR snowfall we've adopted.

My Cavalier loved the recaps up front, but it handled as well in under 8 inches of snow as my Forester does everywhere.

Considering it is a nicer vehicle, I'd recommend not getting recaps as there isn't quite the guarantee of quality, but you can get some very aggressive and effective tread patterns very cheap that way.

I'm actually looking to move to the Reno area between January and March, how much snow are we talking about seeing? Odds are, my Forester stays in PA due to NV's state inspections so I'll be buying a Jeep or 4WD truck when I get out there, if I can find one.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 AM

197 posts, read 509,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrico View Post
In SW PA, I'm rather partial to Yokohama Geolander AT's as my general purpose tire. The past few years though, I've gone with Blizzak Winterforce, or the most aggressive recap I could find, during the 1 month a year of MAJOR snowfall we've adopted.

My Cavalier loved the recaps up front, but it handled as well in under 8 inches of snow as my Forester does everywhere.

Considering it is a nicer vehicle, I'd recommend not getting recaps as there isn't quite the guarantee of quality, but you can get some very aggressive and effective tread patterns very cheap that way.

I'm actually looking to move to the Reno area between January and March, how much snow are we talking about seeing? Odds are, my Forester stays in PA due to NV's state inspections so I'll be buying a Jeep or 4WD truck when I get out there, if I can find one.

The winter depends on where you are --- if you are just going to be in Reno you should be fine --- I had a Bonneville for the first two years I lived here and we had record snow fall --- I lived in Stead where it remains a little colder, they are a little slower at snow removal and get more snow...My Bonneville FWD handled like a champ with all season tires and never needed chains (we had FEET of snow that year).

Now, if you are hoping to make regular treks to Tahoe, Truckee (as the original poster) I would recommend having chains handy....they are often REQUIRED in order to make the loop : )

Good luck on your move and welcome to this beautiful part of the country!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area