Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:22 PM

29 posts, read 59,257 times

Advertisements

Highnlite, Thank you on for your suggestion of Elko. We had considered the Elko area before, but ultimately choose Reno. Many people like the Reno area --so do we.

Oh, there is a paradigm shift(so to speak)going on in my life and the rest of the country for that matter. A change will result.

As I failed to mention before, because it was of no concern to you; I look at the statistics because I too moved here to start a business, but I take this serious, as anyone would. When you see number ones like this, it made me think twice. I have to take a chance anywhere I go, but I'd rather take my business somewhere I have the best returns.

I know who I am, and I know that with cities bring many changes as well. Good or bad. I am happy with Reno and myself, even if someone said, "People who live on 4th street are toothless!" I had a beautiful smile when I did resided on 4th street --and I still do! If you risk a new venture whatever is may be, it is what you choose. I feel many have forgot that we don't have to be stuck simply because there are tons of negative rankings about ones state. Either you choose to hear and believe, or you don't. Do accordingly. Nonetheless, is the beauty of living is this country!

Last edited by austinite83; 09-20-2010 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 PM

86 posts, read 231,690 times
I love living in Sparks and the growth is all for the best with the Legends and Sparks Galleria opening in the last year or so. Unfortunately I am moving next year for a promotion but will come back every year to visit.

Events here include Burning Man, Reno Air Races, Balloon Races, Street Vibrations (bikes bikes and more bikes) , Reno Rodeo, Hot august nights, Best of the west Rib Cookoff! I could drive 30 minutes east of town and go camping or 4 wheeling in the desert or drive 30 west and go snow shoeing or skiing in the Sierras! I could drive 5 minutes and pull my limit of brown or rainbow trout anywhere in town in the Truckee river.

I will miss Sparks. Its home. (cant complain too much about relocating to Orlando!)

Dont ever fear Nevada. Its a great place to live.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 AM

514 posts, read 686,699 times
Austin, Reno has been considered a good place to start a business for many years, the current economic situation may have changed that, There are those who are happy living in cities, I and many others would rather be poor in a small town, than live well in a city.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 PM

286 posts, read 639,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mtb View Post
I love living in Sparks and the growth is all for the best with the Legends and Sparks Galleria opening in the last year or so. Unfortunately I am moving next year for a promotion but will come back every year to visit.

Events here include Burning Man, Reno Air Races, Balloon Races, Street Vibrations (bikes bikes and more bikes) , Reno Rodeo, Hot august nights, Best of the west Rib Cookoff! I could drive 30 minutes east of town and go camping or 4 wheeling in the desert or drive 30 west and go snow shoeing or skiing in the Sierras! I could drive 5 minutes and pull my limit of brown or rainbow trout anywhere in town in the Truckee river.

I will miss Sparks. Its home. (cant complain too much about relocating to Orlando!)

Dont ever fear Nevada. Its a great place to live.
Dude or Dudette... Orlando Sucks! I have a job opportunity in Reno and will be moving there from central Florida.

Florida is brutally hot in the summer but the winters (weather wise) are great. If you haven't been there's totally a different culture in Florida from the west. I call Orlando "Plastic world" because everyone is so plastic. There's nothing but tourists there and every time you fly into Orlando the planes are booked cuz everyone is going to a theme park. There's NO culture unless you call the tourist culture culture and no cultural or fun events like you have in Reno. Traffic sux and there's a heck of a lot more crime in Orlando than Reno for sure. I'm looking for a job and I won't even consider Orlando or Tampa or Miami for that matter. North Florida is much nicer IMO.

Ok, I hope I didn't rain on your parade.. just want to give you some feedback on Orlando.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 PM

514 posts, read 686,699 times
If you like the great out of doors, scenic nature and all that, stay away from the pimple on the desert, Burning Man.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 PM

31 posts, read 78,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
...There are those who are happy living in cities, I and many others would rather be poor in a small town, than live well in a city.
Count me as one of those! My friends and family who still live in big cities still don't understand it. Most of the problems mentioned are common urban ones, and urbanites mostly develop an immunity to the decay around them, and come to accept the crime, traffic, graffiti etc. as normal. Part of what you have to put up with to live in a 'great city'. I really see it now that I'm gone, and I'm glad I got out while the getting was good. It's all in your perspective. Someone who is looking for somewhere 'just like' say, San Francisco for example, but with less crime, will certainly disappointed in Reno. Such a place doesn't exist. On the other hand, if you enjoy the great entertainment and recreation opportunities this area has to offer you will be happy here.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 PM

82 posts, read 272,475 times
^ That.

I've always said not to expect big city amenities in a "city" like Reno. It just doesn't exist and one shouldn't expect it to.

I think Reno is a nice place, unfortunately the place is dead broke. I'm sure 6+ years ago it was an awesome place to be, but now its kind of depressing.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:55 PM

258 posts, read 540,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO.KI View Post
Leave NV but, it can happen to the next state you move to. It's the politicians who corrupt the states.

All the negatives that we are number ONE are also up to the individual. You do not have to be bad if you don't want to. There are a lot of good people and good students in NV who have achived success and have good jobs and are not in trouble. also our population is much smaller then other states we are being compared to.
Who votes the politicians in?

Look at the states who have been governed by democrats the majority of the time over the last 40 years, hmmm you'll find some interesting information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area