U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:10 AM

5 posts, read 13,272 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have been reading yours posts for days now looking for information about Reno. I am re-locating in December from Nashville, TN for work. I am a single woman, 43 years old in the medical field. I've never been to Reno but am planning on visiting this coming weekend to look at different areas for housing and get a feel of what each area may be like.

So, my questions are several:

Which area should I stay away from (not safe to live in)?

I know no one in Reno so I'm unsure how difficult it will be to make friends and what are the best ways to go about doing so? I don't go to church and I have joined Meetup and MeetIn in the past so I'm hoping that may be one avenue. I love the outdoors--hiking, have my own kayak, skiing (though not very good at it), camping. Do they have organized groups that get together and do these things?

I'm not the bar girl--I like bars and dancing just don't want to go by myself to a bar--but I also don't want to be lonely and not know anyone.

So, I guess my questions are: what areas to avoid and how hard is it to socialize--for a single woman in her 40's?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 07:09 PM

102 posts, read 191,635 times
you best visit before you make the big move. Furthermore Jobs are scarce.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 AM

1,196 posts, read 4,342,575 times
I definitely think you'll love Reno. We have so many opportunities for outdoorsy stuff. I definitely think meetup is a great way to meet people!

What kind of area are you looking to live in? Suburban? Urban? Older? Newer?

Old 10-21-2010, 04:57 AM

5 posts, read 13,272 times
Don't need to look for a job--I have one...hence, moving FOR work. As far as type of area, I'd like something more urban but close to shopping and resturaunts. Of course safe.

I'm more concerned about prices of electricity/water/upkeep so if the older homes are built better and are more efficient then older, if not, then a newer home. Are the utilities expensive if housing is reasonable?

I'd also like to keep tahoe the lakes (outdoor things todo) within an hour or less drive. I appreciate any information given.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 AM

197 posts, read 461,243 times
NV Energy is depends on many factors, not sure what you consider expensive or not. Call NV Energy and they can give you more accurate info

Old 10-21-2010, 05:26 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,342,575 times
Well South and Northwest Reno are the two areas closest to Tahoe. And probably the two nicest suburban areas in Reno as well. South Reno would probably be a good choice, theres a ton of shopping, and everything you need close by. Everything's very new.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:00 PM

36 posts, read 70,718 times
East Coast Girl,

I think one good way of meeting locals is to go on "excursions" when you go for outdoorsy trips. I saw this link about Reno-Tahoe Club: Reno/Tahoe Kayak Group (Reno, NV) - Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/reno-tahoe-kayak-group/ - broken link). It says they have 88 members and have a good rating.

This is an old post about some locals wanting to start a supper club: Supper club in Reno, NV? - CookingLight.com Community, maybe you can message the member see if they're still meeting.

You can also find some good local information in this guide: Free Guide (note: this is my real estate website, but the guide is free. I compiled it for out of town buyers.)

Quote:
Which area should I stay away from (not safe to live in)?
Fortunately,there are a few places to stay away from. Like what Big Dave said, from what I've seen South Reno is a favorite of majority of people (I live at this area) because of the thriving communities, being close to Tahoe, boutique shops (Plumb and Arlington, naming one), not too far from Reno (15-20 minutes from Downtown Reno) and yet manage to be a generally peaceful place.

It's actually a best of both worlds in my opinion -- being far enough to have simple/quiet community but still be 15-20 minutes to everything (downtown Reno, Summit Mall, Lake Tahoe, Carson).

I know you asked about places to stay away from, I guess once you visit, you'll pretty much know if the place doesn't feel right.

About the nice places, If you want to know where to start looking, I'll say:

1. South Reno (395 South, you could probably start at Exits South Meadows Pkwy, Damonte Ranch,)

2. Northwest Reno (if you're coming from I 80 West exit on Robb or MCcarran)

3. Sparks Wingfield is also nice (Go 80 East, just head straight and exit on Gregg (After Legend's Mall), turn left, drive about 10-15 minutes, you'll see it on your left).

I know you mentioned you are not a church girl, but I thought I'd mention that if you do visit, I've visited a church at Sparks Spanish Springs (Summit Christian Church) that's pretty laid back and not intimidating (welcoming people outside of their faith), and pretty big so it doesn't feel you're popping out.

They have a nice "home group" where you can just hang out with people with similar interests and they have a short Bible Study, but mostly conversations and open discussions (I went to one two years ago).

Hope it helps...

Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 PM

8 posts, read 16,948 times
My single daughter, in her late 30's, will be moving to Reno to start a new job in January and has much the same questions as you. It would be nice if there were some kind of "newcomers" club in Reno for newcomers to get acquainted with each other.

I haven't figured out how to post yet--can someone tell me the names of some good property managers who we can contact to check out house rentals?

Old 11-23-2010, 12:59 AM

197 posts, read 461,243 times
The junior league of Reno is a great place for Career women to meet and also volunteer

Old 12-04-2010, 01:48 PM

5 posts, read 9,899 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
This site will provide you with demographics including income /education levels as well as other information to help you get an idea of the various neighborhoods. I like the fact that it uses a crime index & ranks the 10 safest neighborhoods, zip codes included. Happy hunting.1rc
Churches are like doctors--all profess to offer healing but some are better at it than others while some miss the mark completely. That's a huge resource of help (and hope) to turn your back on, however, but I'm sure you've got your reasons, Stay hopeful. 1rc

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or