U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,050 times

Advertisements

I was recently accepted to UNR's PhD program in Economics for next fall. I currently live in San Antonio and want to move to Reno. My father lives north of Reno now in the Palamino Valley near Pyramid Lake. I will not be moving until May and plan to stay with my dad for the first few months I am in town. I have been looking at real estate and condos specifically since it is such a buyers market. One area that looks nice but I am unsure of are the Rancho San Rafael Townhomes. The location is very close to UNR so it looks ideal. Is this a nice area or is it one to steer clear of. I know the South side of Reno is nice and I also like Spanish Springs as well. Are these areas better? I have visited Reno many times over the last few years (most recently in August) so I know the area is struggling, but I really do enjoy its proximity to so many outdoor activitis. I have lived in South Texas most of my life and am ready for a change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 04:00 AM

197 posts, read 459,016 times
Father Knows best....ASK HIM

Old 10-29-2010, 12:07 PM

36 posts, read 70,530 times
Just two months ago, my friend from Las Vegas also moved to Reno for Med School. She really liked the Rancho San Rafael area and already found a place there.

It may not be as quiet as Spanish Springs / South Reno but I think the pros outweigh the cons being close to the university and freeway (Spanish Springs takes 15 Min. just to get to I80), and hundred other needs and wants.

You would save a lot of time and money (gas) being that close to school, those things quickly add up, In my opinion.

And Rancho San Rafael is arguably the the most lavishly green park/area in an otherwise mostly brown city. Great for walking, strolling and thinking.

Wherever you go, hope it works out for you Jillian..

Old 10-29-2010, 01:19 PM

55 posts, read 190,486 times
Are you gonna miss San Antonio? Think about it.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 AM

86 posts, read 202,848 times
You have to do what you have to do for your job, but you are not going to be happy with Reno coming from San Antonio. I lived in Corpus for a few years and loved visiting San Antonio every month. I am not a Texan, but I know most Texans think nothing exists west of El Paso and east of Houston. However since this is an opportunity for you, start early with the location hunting. Rancho area may be too close to some of the crime areas for me. Its not bad but also look into the condos at the Marina, some areas in north Sparks including Wingfield and Spanish springs (like you said), and maybe northwest Reno. You cant go wrong with a lot of areas in south Reno. Longer commute but traffic here is so much better than San Antonio. Good Luck

Old 11-04-2010, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,788 times
Congrats on the acceptance!! I am a UNR student and have just applied to the PhD program in Economics for Fall 2011, so hopefully I get in as well. I live in south Reno right now (Double Diamond), and it is really a nice area. My girlfriend lives just a few blocks away from Rancho, and it is great too. I think the University itself is the prettiest place in town, but there are many MANY more good parts of Reno if you look around. Most people who visit Reno only are familiar with the downtown area, which is admittedly a bit worn down, so it often gets a pretty bad reputation for being "unsafe" and "dirty." I have lived here for 20 years and have never had a problem.

If I had the option, I would try to find a place in old southwest Reno, near the Skyline / Caughlin Ranch area. Rancho would also be an excellent choice for a University student. I have never been a big fan of Spanish Springs and Sparks, but I know there are some nice places out there too. Everything is just a little newer and doesn't have as much greenery.

Reno is a great city. Certainly not as bad as people make it out to be. The University is also excellent. I am a mathematics major and the professors are all top notch. Many are Ivy League PhDs who really know their stuff. The PhD graduate programs in Economics are heavily tied in to the mathematics department, so I am sure you will have the great fortune of having some of those profs too.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:46 AM

188 posts, read 386,635 times
Hi Jillian, congrats on your acceptance. I will give you my opinion as I am a UNR graduate ('94) and now live in San Antonio. Reno is a great place if you love the outdoors and UNR has really grown in recent years. I would highly recommend NOT buying initially until you can really feel out where you want to live. Believe me, the real estate market is not going to rebound in Reno for quite some time and with time you can really do some research, likely find a steal, and really get a good sense of where you want to live. You will definitely want to talk to a good realtor before you decide to buy a condo as they can be very difficult to sell if you decide to move on in the future. The San Rafael area you mentioned is very convenient to campus and has an older feel about it. Spanish Springs is nice, but the traffic in and out can be a pain at rush hour. Same with South Reno. I guess this all will depend on how comfortable you are with your commute and how often you need to go to campus. In my opinion, SA traffic is much worse. Reno traffic is nothing like the 1604/281 area of San Antonio!
As far as outdoor activities, any place in Reno will be better than San Antonio. I moved here (San Antonio) for a great job opportunity, but I would move if things were different. Fortunately I have done much better economically in SA (high salary, lower cost of living for me), but unfortunately I don't like San Antonio (mainly due to the weather and lack of mountains, lakes, etc). I like to bike and occasionally run, but it's near impossible in summer, as you know. South Texas' summer weather is horrible. While Reno's weather is unpredictable, at least you don't sweat at Christmas time! You will find that Reno has many outdoor opportunities year round.
I think that you will really like UNR for your program. Reno is not so much a college town like Austin, but it's pretty good. It was a commuter campus when I was there, but it has really grown and I think the school life has improved alot. Good luck in your move to Reno and enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area