U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 9,132 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are seriously considering moving from N. California to the Reno-Sparks area but I have a weather question.

I have researched the weather and have a pretty good idea what to expect.

My question is about summer evenings. I understand that even during the summer temperatures drop dramatically during the nite.

What can I expect around 9 or 10 at nite? I love warm evenings but concerned that when the sun goes down it is going to get cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 01:02 PM

6 posts, read 368,278 times
The biggest thing about Reno weather (I'm from Sacramento myself), it is fairly unpredictable. I don't recall summer nights being all that cold to be honest. TYPICALLY when the sun goes down, the weather drops about ten degrees or so. However, at 9 or 10 at night, I've sat on the front porch in a short sleeve shirt and have been very comfortable. Unlike Sacramento, the air is fairly dry so 65 degrees doesn't seem to feel as cold as it did there. This last summer there were some nights when it was a bit warmer though, but again would depend on how the day temperatures were. During summer months, I believe the "norm" is about high 90's to low 100's but it also has snowed in the summer.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 9,132 times
Thank you for the reply. We plan a trip in the spring since it has been a very long time since I was in Reno. Housing prices are sooooo cheap it is very tempting.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:24 PM

83 posts, read 186,647 times
housing prices are verrry cheap. ain't that true. i'm looking in stead area and 4 year old houses are 80k!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 368,278 times
So true about houses. In fact, I just bought my house, which isn't very big at all, but still, is 1008 sq ft for $89,900 last year. My mortgage payments are $670. I lived in a one bedroom apartment here for $810.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:20 PM

10 posts, read 61,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurekabiker View Post
My question is about summer evenings. I understand that even during the summer temperatures drop dramatically during the nite.

What can I expect around 9 or 10 at nite? I love warm evenings but concerned that when the sun goes down it is going to get cold.
No. The evenings in the Summer stay around 73 degrees, well past midnight. This is similar to about how the evenings are in Southern California. You can walk around in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops all night long.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 PM

82 posts, read 247,774 times
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. We plan a trip in the spring since it has been a very long time since I was in Reno. Housing prices are sooooo cheap it is very tempting.
They're cheap for a very good reason. Proceed with caution.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:01 PM

72 posts, read 263,165 times
Quote:
My wife and I are seriously considering moving from N. California to the Reno-Sparks area but I have a weather question.

I have researched the weather and have a pretty good idea what to expect.

EurekaBiker:
I have lived in the Reno-Tahoe area for over 30 years, with the last 18 in Reno. (I was born in Oakland and grew up in the East Bay --- so we have Northern California in common.)
Evenings in July and August or very comfortable in Reno, you will not be cold.
In June and September the nights can occassionally get chilly, but for the most part are comfortable.

But if you are from Eureka, or the area right aronund Eureka, the summer days may be seem too hot for you at first, but you will get used to them.
There's no humidity to speak of here, so that also makes for comfortable summer weather. Good luck, tg9999

Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 PM

240 posts, read 720,386 times
The old timers tell me that it use to be a lot worse in Reno in regards to weather. For example, a small lake called Virginia Lake use to freeze over each winter and they ice skated on it. I have been in Reno for 10 years and have not seen that happen. They say it use to snow and the snow would hang around, now we get snow and it usually melts in a week if not sooner. All my cars are four wheel/all wheel drive as I hate having to put on chains when I want to go to California. I have one high ground clearance SUV with all terrain tires on it, just in case the snow actually does get deep and stick around for a while. (We did have one really impressive snow storm about 4-5 years ago. Actually needed four wheel drive just to get down the street from my home.) As far as the temperature drop at night, at most all you would need is a light jacket at night or a sweater. I would not let that be a negative.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:07 PM

369 posts, read 971,499 times
I came from Humboldt, and I would never go back unless I had to move back in with my parents or some other reason... I love Reno, and the weather is one of the reasons. I mean, after 4 years I'm still not so sure about the snow, I am not a fan of being cold, but those summer days I can't wait for! Yes at night the temps do drop! but thankful for that. considering that in vegas it would be so hot overnight you'd still have to have your A/C on! There are a few months where you can have very very pleasant evenings outside. My sis and I this year would bbq and sit out on the patio after the sun goes down. After awhile it can get chilly, but not super cold or anything. Like someone said, the weather is unpredictable, but that's more in the spring and fall months than anything else. Pretty much summer and winter we know what's coming and IM not sure if you know this, but 3 out of the 4 winters I have been here, it will be snowing and gray overnight or for a little while, and then it will be sunny that day. still COLD COLD COLD, but coming from humboldt you know it's really nice not to see gray skies constantly.

Anyways, definitely do the visiting thing, and yes I usually like what Six Demon Bag has to say, but they are cheap because there was a housing bust.... if you can move here with a secure job or retirement income and get a house now, I would. I would have given anything to not buy mine at the peak of the market in 2006 for 233,00, but 50K down and now have it worth about $85,000. so always "proceed with caution" when you are buying or moving to a new place, but his information seemed more cryptic than that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area