U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 03:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,589 times

Advertisements

Heya,

I've never been to Reno before, and I'm going to UNR next year to get the heck out of Vegas while still taking advantage of my in-state tuition.

I'm visiting soon to scout it out a bit, and I have a question about places to focus on for housing.

I know this is sort of the holy grail that I'm looking for, but here goes:

I'm 27, single, and have two cats. I don't quite feel comfortable living in ghetto apartments anymore with loud party freak types. I don't mind commuting a bit, and even prefer quiet and safe at the expense of some convenience.... so I'm ok with being a reasonable distance away the campus. Even outside of town is ok, if traffic into the university is dependably predictable. I REALLY want a washer and dryer inside wherever I rent rather than coin-ops. And because I live on financial aid and part-time employment, I need something under $700. Craigslist is not exactly turning up much in the vicinity of these specs.

Do any of you have any suggestions for me? Know of any great apartment complexes or rental location services I should talk to? I don't care if it's a studio.... I'm ditching all of my furniture anyway rather than moving it, so size doesn't matter!

And on the fun side of things, any great places I should check out while I'm scouting to get a feel for what my life's going to be like once I move? Where do all of the nerdy bohemian wallflowers hang out to drink beer that doesn't suck and people watch? Are there any local breweries or neat out of the way cafes/bookstores/yarn shops a girl can scope out? I've spent most of my adult life in places like Austin and Portland, but grew up in the middle of nowhere, Texas, and three years in Vegas has sucked the soul right out of me. I'm hoping Reno can give me a little bit of it back at least..... and I guess if not, there's tahoe or a four hour trip to the bay, eh?

Last edited by wickedflower; 12-28-2010 at 03:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 AM

148 posts, read 469,165 times
Default nerdy bohemian wallflowerville

You should pick up an Apartment Finder guide book here. They're usually around bus stops or convenience stores. I'm sure it's also online. You should have no proble finding an apartment that allows pets under $700 especially with the housing bust. There's the University Highlands apartment complex a couple blocks NE of campus but I'm not sure if they allow pets. DO NOT go East of campus, it just gets shady there, but of course, Reno is nothing like Vegas, so what we think of ghetto here is like three square blocks. The worst area near UNR is called Montello and Pat Baker named after their streets. You probably won't get shot by gangsters there, but your car will probalby get broken into if you park it there over night. It's a couple miles East of UNR. Go to the NW. It's a couple miles from UNR, but there's loads of relatively new apartments there that are going cheaper now. If you go North, you run into the valleys which are basically rural ghettos. If you go South, you get mostly houses, further south are ghetto apartments, then way South are nice apartments, but they're like several miles South.

"Nerdy bohemian wallflower" I love that description. Reno is becoming a hipster wannabe town, but there is seriously legitimate bohemian culture here. You'll find it around California Ave which is a few blocks south of downtown and the "Midtown" District which is roughly from California Ave down to Plumb Lane. Lots of boutiques, indie stores, vintage clothing, hipster bars, etc. I'm like thinking, if I were to run into a nerdy, bohemian wallflower, where would I go? As far as coffee shops, Vino Jungle which has poetry open mic's. I mean how nerdy, bohemian is that? As far as bars, Seven West, Peace Cafe (it's a bar and restaurant and they donate the equivalent of one meal for each meal you order) they're at Sierra St and the Truckee River, Waterfall, Ceol, Biggest Little Club, and Wurk for late night Dubstep dancing.

Welcome to Reno.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:58 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,339,452 times
Great post BLD. I agree with him, a lot of areas around the university can be noisier, and there are a lot of parties, if you want something quiet don't go with the highlands. If you want somewhere newer and suburban go with NW Reno, I'm sure you could get some deals right now.

If you're looking for more of an interesting part of town go with midtown or downtown Reno. As BLD said midtown has a ton of cool little shops, and is very quaint in its own way, and downtown by the river is definitely more trendy. Java Jungle is the hipster hangout by the river with open mics, the Spread Peace Cafe, and theres some cool little bars on the riverwalk. Midtown has the food co-op, some great thrifstores, bakeries, bars, etc, etc. There are also some cool old homes and apartments in the midtown area. And you could get some great deals on the upscale highrises downtown.

Reno is definitely not as cool as Austin or Portland, but if you look past some of the negatives there is a lot of culture. I'm a current student at UNR and I know a ton of people from the Vegas suburbs who hate it and complain about how sleazy downtown is, but if you can look past that it is wonderful. I looove exploring Reno there are some great places.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,634 times
Default Welcome to Reno

Hi there and welcome to Reno! I moved here last semester to attend UNR from Humboldt County, CA and have completely fallen in love with this place. A suggestion for your living situation, if you haven't found something yet. . .I live over near Idlewild Park off of Keystone and there are tons of reasonably priced apartments available over here. It's about a 10-15 minute walk along the river into Downtown, Idlewild is a beautiful place for a run or a sunset, and UNR is about a mile and a half away. . .I usually drive because I'm lazy but you can even bike or walk if you want. Totally quiet, conveniently located, lots of apartments and superbly affordable. I have a beautiful one bedroom that I live in by myself with nice hardwood floors and all utilities for $500/month. Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area