U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 PM

9 posts, read 40,947 times
Question Where to live in Reno

I am now living in Florida and am moving to Reno in Sept and will be working in Carson City.... what areas are good places to settle so that it is convenient to both areas.... Whats the rental prices like and where is the best place to find rentals... have looked in the newspaper online but they dont have exactly what Im looking for or its probably just that I dont know what areas to look in. Any suggestions would be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,447,693 times
Certainly the Southern part of Reno would be the most convenient area to Carson City. There's new shopping and restaurants all over that area, along with a decent Mall and a bunch of new to recent housing.

With working in Carson and living in Reno, you'll also be driving through Washoe Valley to get there. I don't thiink I'd want to do it in the middle of winter, every day. Perhaps someone can pipe up with how well the road is kept clear and de-iced in the winter.

I'm sorry I can't advise you about the rental market. I'm sure someone will pop up.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:41 PM

15,757 posts, read 20,280,033 times
You mean you are not going to suggest Gardnerville/Minden? I don't believe it. Or was this a set up so someone else would jump in?

OP - Go south. Gardnerville/Minden...or stay in Carson City. There is no reason for going north.

Reno is OK...but one should not suffer to get there.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:24 AM

Are you saying that its hard to get to in the winter months? Is is a winding mountainous road? ... oh this should be fun... I haven't been in the snow and ice for a long time , I dont want to be too isolated... am use to a more urban environment.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:36 AM

692 posts, read 1,780,420 times
the highway from reno to carson often has a lot of high wind warnings. a few days after this past Christmas i had to travel it, in spite of knowing about the wind warning. the wind blew gravel into my windshield, cracking it in several places and badly pitted the paint. $7,000 windshield and paint job...hope u have good car insurance....3 semi trucks were blown over that day. it isn't a windy, mountain road. do u enjoy putting snow chains on wheels?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:51 AM

Default surviving winter again

Thanks Becky, well being that I havent lived in that kind of environment for a long time it will be interesting.... if I am getting it right its kinda like the road between Denver and Boulder Colorado, and the wind... that too... it can get awfully windy in Boulder at times... be that as it may the weather will take some getting use to again since I have been in Florida for 2 yrs and Oregon for 10 years before that it will be nice to have a challenge of winter again, I guess if I can survive winter in Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, & Chicago, I can survive in Nevada... perpetual summer is a little hard to take specially since we can ride motorcycles all year around here in Florida... but Florida is miserable in the summer and its flat and "not all that"... honestly I do miss the seasons... Wish I could move back to San Diego but cant afford to live there. I cant pass up the job... it is too good of an opportunity State of Nevada here I come...

...my main concern is where to live... where are the good places to live where I still will have a life... Guess I will just have to get there and then figure it out!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:16 PM

692 posts, read 1,780,420 times
it probably is a lot like driving from denver to boulder. i dont consider reno to be windy at all, having moved here from kansas last summer, but it sure was windy the day i had to drive to carson city. i would suggest carson or at least s. reno if reno is where u want to be. if u are gonna be working a 9-5 job i would avoid getting onto 395 at all costs!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:49 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,447,693 times
Nope olecapt, I didn't suggest Minden because I went with an assumption. My assumption is that the poster may be a little younger and would be looking for younger lifestyle things to do. Reno would easily provide those options, especially with UNR in town, whereas Douglas County and Carson would be a little sparse in those areas.

However, now that I think about it, Tahoe is so easy to get to from Minden that it might not be a bad choice. Tahoe has a lot of different venues for people of all age groups while Minden would provide less expensive rental options.

west coast girl, there will be times when you would need to chainup between Minden and Carson too, just like between Reno, through Washoe Valley, and into Carson. However, it won't be all of the time and it's not heavy stuff like up in Denver. The snow will just be heavier and last longer in Washoe Valley than along 395 south of Carson City.

Of course Tahoe will have it's high snow drifts, so you need to be prepared when you go up there in the winter. That's much of the fun. It's an easy drive to a winter wonderland without having to live in it when you've settled in a place like Minden.

BTW, this is a "wave" from another native San Diegan. http://bestsmileys.com/waving/2.gif (broken link) Actually, a north county native from years ago. Welcome to the area, no matter in which part of Northern Nevada you choose to settle.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:59 PM

15,757 posts, read 20,280,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
Nope olecapt, I didn't suggest Minden because I went with an assumption. My assumption is that the poster may be a little younger and would be looking for younger lifestyle things to do. Reno would easily provide those options, especially with UNR in town, whereas Douglas County and Carson would be a little sparse in those areas.

Awful thought Garth...to be young and have to work in Carson City!

Ouch...

Old 07-26-2007, 07:42 PM

336 posts, read 841,975 times
Default Just Don't Live By My Ex Crazy Neighbor

I swear the craziest people I have ever met end up in RENO. Stay away for the southwest side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area