U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:25 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,996,781 times

Advertisements

How do we start a Nevada Reno forum, there is so much about Las Vegas and I would like to see if we can single out Reno like they do in some other State forums. Just a question-not even sure any body else would be interested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 07:18 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,306,587 times
I agree. It seems that there's quite a few threads about LV that don't make it into the LV sub-forum.

Just a thought here. It seems like much of NW Nevada is related in some way, either through physical proximity or economic proximity.

How about a Washoe/Carson City/Douglas County section. Maybe it could be named like that, or simply "NorthWest Nevada." In any case, it would cover Reno, Tahoe, Carson City, and Minden/Gardnerville.

It would allow for a seperation from the LV discussions. They have little in common and, at least State-wise, they're primarily opposed to each other, often in political terms as well as with economic and cultural issues.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:45 PM

4 posts, read 11,539 times
Default Nevada Reno forum thoughts

I would love to learn about that part of Nevada and around it. We purchased land in Pershing Co and travel to Reno to stay and drive to our land which takes about an hour. We want to someday move out there and build a home. So far what we've seen, it was really different from what we're use to. We live in Florida so what a change in Reno area. The land is beautiful and the hot springs are also really amazing to see. My only concern and questions if anyone can answer is...what is up with the nasty, nasty mormen crickets? I've never seen anything like it in my life. I was really grossed out!
They are some huge critters and can anyone tell me how to keep them away from our future home out there on our little piece of land?

Thanks...)

Old 07-31-2007, 08:06 PM

Your in luck Vinney, we too have property in Pershing Co, 20 north of Lovelock. We have yet to build a home there but we visit our neighbor and they said that this year there zero crickets that showed up this year, last year was horrible.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:09 PM

I have a few tricks that I heard about from locals there and once I move down there I will try them. I understand that they can only jump less than a foot so we can come up with a slick border around the garden.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:11 PM

76 posts, read 341,998 times
What is a mormon cricket? I should think Vinney since you live in Florida you would critters that are pretty bad as well... I know I have since moving here 2 yrs ago...

Old 07-31-2007, 09:34 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,830,519 times
The crickets do not appear every year. A solid fence a couple of feet high generally works to keep them out of your yard, although they have been known to pile up so high at the fence that they can crawl over their own bodies and over the fence

Old 07-31-2007, 11:27 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,306,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinnia View Post
What is a mormon cricket?
Here's a link where you can read about them: Click right here

In the meantime, here's a pic:

What's really disgusting is that they eat each other. Try stepping on one and then stand back. The others will come over and eat it. Yuch!

BTW, they're not just out in the Nevada desert. They're in Utah and parts of Colorado. They may be in other places too, but I've only seen them in those states.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:45 AM

76 posts, read 341,998 times
Thanks Garth and Greatbasin, they look like a grasshopper or a locust.... I probably have seen them when always have but equated them with a grasshoppers... Grew up in the Midwest so am familiar with these sorts of bugs... the most tho that I saw at one time that I can remember was when I lived in Colorado.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:16 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,830,519 times
They are a locust. They do not fly like the ones in "Hidalgo" but they cause damage similarly. They are called Mormon crickets because when the Mormons first moved to Utah, their crops came under attack from the crickets, but the sea gulls that nest at Great Salt Lake came over and ate the crickets, saving the Mormon crops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area