U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:39 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,162,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
In my line of work the norm is to meet in person and they never fly you out. I have had to do this before. In fact most jobs that I have applied for I had to interview in person regardless of where it was located.
I don't find the need to interview in person unusual, but your having to foot the bill is unusual to me. Granted, I don't know what field you work in, but the company I work for pays for all the travel expenses incurred by candidates. Did they offer to reimburse your expenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 11:10 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,329,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
I don't find the need to interview in person unusual, but your having to foot the bill is unusual to me. Granted, I don't know what field you work in, but the company I work for pays for all the travel expenses incurred by candidates. Did they offer to reimburse your expenses?
When the economy was better and there were shortages in my line of work, you still had to pay your way up. Some places would though give you a relocating allowance if they offered you the position. With what I do since they have so many qualified candidates they have no need to try to get you to work for them since they know people don't have jobs and would do whatever it takes for an interview. I work in the nonprofit field so......

Not trying to be rude on here (really I came here for neighborhood suggestions), but what would be some areas I should check out if I do get hired?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:50 AM

1,196 posts, read 4,332,017 times
What specifically are you looking for? I would maybe recommend Truckee as it is slightly bigger than the Tahoe towns and has a very quaint downtown. Unfortunately it doesn't have an art-house theater, but I'm sure there will be some fellow vegetarians(I am one as well).

If you need indie films you can drive 30 minutes into Reno, which doesn't have a full art-house theater, but Riverside Century gets some Indie films, and I know studio on 4th has indie showings weekly I believe.

I don't know much about the Tahoe Jewish community. My girlfriend is Jewish(I live in Reno), and I don't think there are too many but there definitely are some. Just using google maps it appears there is a Temple in both north shore and south shore, and about 5 in Reno.

I think you will like this area more than you expect. Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:32 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,329,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
What specifically are you looking for? I would maybe recommend Truckee as it is slightly bigger than the Tahoe towns and has a very quaint downtown. Unfortunately it doesn't have an art-house theater, but I'm sure there will be some fellow vegetarians(I am one as well).

If you need indie films you can drive 30 minutes into Reno, which doesn't have a full art-house theater, but Riverside Century gets some Indie films, and I know studio on 4th has indie showings weekly I believe.

I don't know much about the Tahoe Jewish community. My girlfriend is Jewish(I live in Reno), and I don't think there are too many but there definitely are some. Just using google maps it appears there is a Temple in both north shore and south shore, and about 5 in Reno.

I think you will like this area more than you expect. Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Thanks for the info!
Will make sure to drive around Truckee. I was very surprised that there seem to be a ton of cute little cafes and restaurants all over the Lake Tahoe area. I checked on Yelp.

I am just more of a major city kind of person and not that outdoorsy. I looked at pictures of Lake Tahoe and I agree, beautiful. Again will go wherever I can get a job! My mother told me to hang around big resorts in the winter (if I get a job of course) to try to land a wealthy skier LOL.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:46 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,835,642 times
how did the interview go?

BTW i think your mothers advise a is sad and sick. how about finding a nice guy PERIOD money does not make a person! People who date or marry men for MONEY equals legal form of prostitution.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 754 times
I can tell you from experience that you can make friends anywhere I've lived in Calif, Ga, NY, Kansas and am planning on moving to LasVegas. Since I'm retired I make friends thru church, volunteering, and always go introduce myself to the neighbors with muffins in hand. I don't think you will have a problem. Best of luck to you

Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 PM

9 posts, read 13,293 times
\What's with all negative Nancy's and terribly condescending responses? People travel half-way around the world for jobs -- and under far worse conditions. Why are we expected to be any different? When I finished undergrad I took a series of sh_tty bus rides over a week for an unpaid internship in a new city. All I had was my bookpack and the money I had earned over the summer moving furniture. Everybody gave the same bad advice you're getting here (be careful, are you sure?, don't do it, and a lot of other ridiculous BS). It worked out fine. You're young. You still have a lot of time to make up for any mistakes. At worst, you'll save some money, get better at skiing, and get to explore a new place. At best it might be the challenge you need to build a new life. It's like the turtle and the hare. You won't have a lot of friends initially - but slowly and steadily - you'll start building a good life for yourself. (took me almost 20 years)... side note: if things are really that bad - seriously consider joining the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area