Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:24 PM

162 posts, read 242,265 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 01:01 PM

843 posts, read 2,216,783 times
I've got a spreadsheet with historical weather data from noaa, charting mean temps, precipitation, snowfall mean, heating degree days and cooling degree days for Canton Ohio, Evanston Wyoming, Reno, Carson City and Winnemucca Nevada.

I put this together to get a feel for weather in all these areas as it compares to Canton, wanted to make sure we weren't in for any weather surprises.

I attached a copy if your interested. At the top of the first sheet is a URL for where I got the data. Should be fairly trivial to replace the canton data with data from your location.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Weather.zip (59.3 KB, 88 views)

Old 08-28-2011, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,032 times
I'm looking into Sparks, too! I soo appreciate all the responses! I grew up in Detroit, Michigan, employer (former) transferred me to Los Angeles and now I really want to go someplace nice, away from California but with a nice climate. The fact that there are still four seasons without the ridiculous cold, ice, snowfall and windchill is nice! I have soo missed Autumn!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 AM

197 posts, read 509,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrise View Post
I'm looking into Sparks, too! I soo appreciate all the responses! I grew up in Detroit, Michigan, employer (former) transferred me to Los Angeles and now I really want to go someplace nice, away from California but with a nice climate. The fact that there are still four seasons without the ridiculous cold, ice, snowfall and windchill is nice! I have soo missed Autumn!
September/October my favorite months (have to throw June in to)!! Love Northern Nevada : )

Old 08-30-2011, 01:19 AM

11 posts, read 49,368 times
Northwest sparks is less favorable but i wouldnt say downright dangerous. I grew up in East Sparks and there, as well as "Spanish Spring", Wingfield Springs" and those other areas are all very nice but they were overexpanded in the housing boom and alot of it seems too quiet and some areas even seem half empty, with lots of altered land and roads that were never paved, lots that were never built. All and all its attractive if you like your four seasons. It will snow there yes. Milder winters get around 6 to 10 inches of snow there over a year's time but most years get more like 20, and the snow tends to arrive in sporatic 1-3 inch storms that can happen anytime between October and May... and this area is known for abnormal or erratic patterns. The city as a whole is relatively safe in comparison to other similar sized cities but nowhere is totally crime free. As far as "not wanting to freeze yourself to death" dont fool yourself, anywhere around here can often see bitter cold but the good news is in the daytime you get relief from the sun. It is a windy place to live for sure, and if you are not a big fan of snow then Sparks or southeast reno are the places that get the least amount of snow. If you find yourself way up in the western foothill neighborhoods or higher north valleys, or ESPECIALLY Washoe Valley, then you can expect multiple snowfalls measured in feet... even as much snow as Boston. 2 miles makes all the difference. As far as Heat, our summers are really not very long. They can either start late, end early, or vice versa. Ive seen 95 degree heat and snow within 2 weeks of each other occur. But if you're used to Arizona, then no heat we get here will ever bother you unless you opt to not have air conditioning. The hottest days are in July through September, and the heat only lasts several hours per day. Once the sun goes down, it immediately cools to room temperature for evening and down into the 40's-60s even in the summer. But Overall winter is mild. Just because we get alot of snow sometimes, it still feels milder than NYC or Boston or places that, while their snowfall averages are the same as this area, the east coast is at sea level and more humid while here the air is thin and dry so even temps in the teens wont feel as bad as 30 felt to me in Rhode Island where you FEEL that bitter chill against your skin, and the daylight heating there does not offer much warmth or relief like it does here in the winter.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:28 AM

25 posts, read 80,755 times
[quote=lostsoul62;19556052] I shouldn't be bored and it seems like a place to retire.quote]

Even though it's absolutely not necessary as there are MANY retiries here in the Sparks Area, there is a wonderful 55+ community in East Sparks called Villa Toscana. Here is some info on it:

Welcome home to Villa Toscana, you are now visiting a magnificent 55+ gated active adult community at D’Andrea, a master planned golf community named after the ranching family who pioneered these lands long ago. Coming from Italy, their rich heritage has been characterized with architecture reminiscent of an Italian Tuscan village. Located in the quaint, small town of Sparks, you’ll find Villa Toscana location to be of utmost convenience.
Amenities include indoor and outdoor swimming pools, hot tub, exercise facility, bocce ball courts, billiards, business center,stunning views of the downtown Reno and the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Age Restriction: 55+ Golf Community
Type of Home: Resale Single Family
Home Square Footage: 1000-2500 sq. ft.
Priced from $160,000 to $290,000
RENT: from $1,050 to $1,500
Number of Homes: 480
Amenities: Designed in a style reminiscent of romantic Tuscan village within master planned golf community. Views of downtown Reno, the Carson Range and Mount Rose. 11,600 sq. ft. recreation facility, with indoor & outdoor swimming pools, hot tub, exercise facility, bocce ball courts, billiards.

My parents are retired and live in a wonderful area in East Sparks called The Vistas, it is a nice mix of all ages, has one of the best elementary schools in the area and is a well kept area with a good homeowners association. Home rent is approx $1200 for 1400 sq ft, the same house for sale would cost approx. $150k-ish. There are also two apartment buildings in the Vistas area tha seem nice.

As far as entertainment goes, there is ALWAYS something going on here. Anywhere from the Sparks Hometown Christamas Parade to Rib cookoffs, Chili cookoffs, Hot August Nights & in Reno, Street Vibrations (motorcycles) Italian Festival, Oktoberfest, FREE Art town the whole month of July & there are FREE concerts everywhere!...I could go on and on. My retired parents seem to be going to some free activity EVERY weekend!

WEATHER: Definitely NOT as hot as AZ, there are only a handfull of days that forced my parents to cut short their outdoor adventures because of the heat. And in East Sparks the snow isn't that bad either. Like another poster mentioned, only a few days that the sidewalks needed shoveling (just a matter of preference as it usually melts on its own)

As far as crime in Sparks, STAY AWAY FROM the heart of SPARKS, personally I feel North/East Sparks & Wingfield Springs/Spanish Springs are the way to go. We have nice new shopping centers here but if it's your preference you can have a home one some acreage in Spanish Springs but still be only a 5 min drive to Costco.

I wish you the best of luck on your decision and hopefully soon we can all say "Welcome to Sparks!"

Last edited by nevadamamabear1972; 10-09-2011 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: weird charactors showing up/color/size etc.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:52 PM

197 posts, read 509,895 times
[quote=nevadamamabear1972;21213517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
I shouldn't be bored and it seems like a place to retire.quote]

Even though it's absolutely not necessary as there are MANY retiries here in the Sparks Area, there is a wonderful 55+ community in East Sparks called Villa Toscana. Here is some info on it:

Welcome home to Villa Toscana, you are now visiting a magnificent 55+ gated active adult community at D’Andrea, a master planned golf community named after the ranching family who pioneered these lands long ago. Coming from Italy, their rich heritage has been characterized with architecture reminiscent of an Italian Tuscan village. Located in the quaint, small town of Sparks, you’ll find Villa Toscana location to be of utmost convenience.
Amenities include indoor and outdoor swimming pools, hot tub, exercise facility, bocce ball courts, billiards, business center,stunning views of the downtown Reno and the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Age Restriction: 55+ Golf Community
Type of Home: Resale Single Family
Home Square Footage: 1000-2500 sq. ft.
Priced from $160,000 to $290,000
RENT: from $1,050 to $1,500
Number of Homes: 480
Amenities: Designed in a style reminiscent of romantic Tuscan village within master planned golf community. Views of downtown Reno, the Carson Range and Mount Rose. 11,600 sq. ft. recreation facility, with indoor & outdoor swimming pools, hot tub, exercise facility, bocce ball courts, billiards.

My parents are retired and live in a wonderful area in East Sparks called The Vistas, it is a nice mix of all ages, has one of the best elementary schools in the area and is a well kept area with a good homeowners association. Home rent is approx $1200 for 1400 sq ft, the same house for sale would cost approx. $150k-ish. There are also two apartment buildings in the Vistas area tha seem nice.

As far as entertainment goes, there is ALWAYS something going on here. Anywhere from the Sparks Hometown Christamas Parade to Rib cookoffs, Chili cookoffs, Hot August Nights & in Reno, Street Vibrations (motorcycles) Italian Festival, Oktoberfest, FREE Art town the whole month of July & there are FREE concerts everywhere!...I could go on and on. My retired parents seem to be going to some free activity EVERY weekend!

WEATHER: Definitely NOT as hot as AZ, there are only a handfull of days that forced my parents to cut short their outdoor adventures because of the heat. And in East Sparks the snow isn't that bad either. Like another poster mentioned, only a few days that the sidewalks needed shoveling (just a matter of preference as it usually melts on its own)

As far as crime in Sparks, STAY AWAY FROM the heart of SPARKS, personally I feel North/East Sparks & Wingfield Springs/Spanish Springs are the way to go. We have nice new shopping centers here but if it's your preference you can have a home one some acreage in Spanish Springs but still be only a 5 min drive to Costco.

I wish you the best of luck on your decision and hopefully soon we can all say "Welcome to Sparks!"
I LOVE your assessments!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area