U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 917 times
Default Jobs in our fields in the Reno area?

Like many, many posts on here, the Reno/Tahoe area is at the top of our relocation list. We're planning on coming out to visit in February and do some skiing (number 1 reason for us to move there, mountain life) and a little first hand recon on the area.

How are jobs for a Graphic Designer/Industrial Designer with experience in sign making and exhibit design/fabrication? For my wife, she's in Telecommunications, VP of an independent telephone co., dealing with the PUC filings, legal stuff and customer service. We need to get out of Western PA and get back West ASAP. We moved from Denver after college and both feel it was the biggest mistake we ever made.

I thought I'd throw this out there for some insight from locals while I keep reading the forums looking for more info.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 PM

197 posts, read 249,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallie wader View Post
Like many, many posts on here, the Reno/Tahoe area is at the top of our relocation list. We're planning on coming out to visit in February and do some skiing (number 1 reason for us to move there, mountain life) and a little first hand recon on the area.

How are jobs for a Graphic Designer/Industrial Designer with experience in sign making and exhibit design/fabrication? For my wife, she's in Telecommunications, VP of an independent telephone co., dealing with the PUC filings, legal stuff and customer service. We need to get out of Western PA and get back West ASAP. We moved from Denver after college and both feel it was the biggest mistake we ever made.

I thought I'd throw this out there for some insight from locals while I keep reading the forums looking for more info.

Thanks.
Hey there --- as you will learn, jobs here are a premium; however, specialized industries and skill sets do a little better. What Exhibit Company have you worked with? I know Freeman acquired some other companies and might be some options there.....Charter and AT&T are the big telecommunications outfits (as far as I know) and there might be some options with them or one of the smaller companies trying to get a foot hold.

It sounds like you are very interested in the outdoors and west coast environments...you will love it here....good luck!!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 AM

1,228 posts, read 430,428 times
I hope you have a back up plan when it comes to work. You may want to call a few places and talk to them and see how business is.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 AM

764 posts, read 745,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallie wader View Post

Thanks.
Can your wife telecommute or is that option off the table?

I'd think you'd want to have a job lined up before moving, as I understand it the job market there isn't very good at this point.

Maybe we'll see you on the way through, we're in Canton Ohio.. planning on making the move next year.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 917 times
Telecommuting is definitely an option for her. We wouldn't even consider moving without at least one very secure job in place, preferably both of us.

I worked with Exponents in Denver when I lived there. I haven't worked for an exhibit company for quite awhile. I am now doing more signage design and fab, but still do a lot with exhibits, just not working for a dedicated exhibit house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area