U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 PM

187 posts, read 377,637 times
IMO air conditioners on the roof are not very efficient as they get the full heat of the sun all day. They put them up there because it is a very cheap way to install a furnace/AC unit. You see a lot of homes like that in Vegas. I would not worry about the snow. When you need the AC there is no snow and where there is snow, you use the furnace which can handle the snow. I would not let that stop a sale and if replacing it, I would not move it. The cost of redoing all the duct work and piping is not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 01:35 AM

6,880 posts, read 3,585,656 times
Default Just my two cents here

I'll never again own a home with a unit on the roof. Has nothing to do with the efficiency of the unit during snowy weather. My biggest issue with it was, after time, the framing around the unit became worn and shifted. Rainwater leaked through the framing and it caused major damage to the ceiling inside the home. It was a problem that ended up costing a lot of money to repair. Give me a solid roof with no skylights, tube lights or heating/air conditioning units.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:18 PM

11 posts, read 19,834 times
Default RE how much snow reno gets

Its ALL about location location location, and which year it is. as a long time Reno-ite, The valley floor and downtown do not frequently see TOO much snow at once most of the time however the snow season can last very long... it can start as early as October or run as late as early june before summer hits with a bang of 90 degree heat a week later. If you're on the valley floor, a typical winter will see maybe 1 storm with 6 or more inches, and several 1-2 inch snows. If you live in the foothills above the city or even on the western-most edge of the valley near west mccarran all bets are off. These areas, particularly as you get above 4700 feet, can get a foot of snow when reno/sparks proper only sees 2 inches. Look at your new place where youre living on a topographical map (google map with terrain feature is good)... if you're in sparks then expect milder winters. if you're anyplace west of downtown between 4500 and 4700 feet, or in the north valleys below 5000 feet expect moderate winters with a few 6 inch storms per year, maybe a foot once or twice and dustings all the time. Above 5000 feet anywhere in the western half of the metro area you're screwed and will see exponentially higher totals of snow than downtown. Then second it all depends on what decade or year it is. The late 90s-early 2000s were notoriously mild and snowfall in the valley was very scant but after 2003 we began seeing consistently much more brutal winters around here, and looking at long term trends, it appears this cycle of mild vs snowy winters for Reno come in 6-10 year cycles over the last century or so. SOME speculate that warming of the arctic has loosened the polar votex due to destabilization which is characteristic of a warmer atmosphere. such earth behavior is speculated to counterintuitively lead to snowier and colder winters for the next several decades over mid latitude places... like this... due to the polar air masses being looser and more free to roam south.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM

763 posts, read 738,113 times
Yowser... a bit of 'wall o' text' but thanks for the insight into the 'microclimates' there. Very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area