Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times

Advertisements

I'll be in town for the World Science Fiction Convention at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center August 17-21. I'm staying at the Peppermill (Peppertree? whatever) and mostly will just hang out with the thousands of authors and fans, but have a couple questions:

1) Where are the good liquor stores? Oregon has state controlled liquor stores that carry a limited selection. I'm interested in Dutch Genevers, California muscat brandies, etc., none of which are available in Oregon.

2) Are there any good shows in town? I may get tired of SF and decide to branch out. I suppose I could just ask the concierge...

Thanks in advance. FIAWOL! (Fandom Is A Way Of Life)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 PM

197 posts, read 509,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'll be in town for the World Science Fiction Convention at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center August 17-21. I'm staying at the Peppermill (Peppertree? whatever) and mostly will just hang out with the thousands of authors and fans, but have a couple questions:

1) Where are the good liquor stores? Oregon has state controlled liquor stores that carry a limited selection. I'm interested in Dutch Genevers, California muscat brandies, etc., none of which are available in Oregon.

2) Are there any good shows in town? I may get tired of SF and decide to branch out. I suppose I could just ask the concierge...

Thanks in advance. FIAWOL! (Fandom Is A Way Of Life)

WELCOME!!! Hard to believe it is already time for WorldCon!!! The Peppermill should be able to direct you to some activities; howver, you might consider the Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival --- fund event set on the shores of Lake Tahoe and plenty to do.

There will be some great people watching as individuals begin to make their way through Reno enroute to Burning Man.

The Eldorado has Hairspray playing in their theater. The Pioneer Underground offers Comedy every weekend. The Grand Sierra Resort has Vicki Lawarence and Mama, A Two Woman Show on August 19th. Great Greek Food at the Reno Greek Festival. Tower of Power playing at Boomtown August 20th

That should give you a good start; although, I cannot imagine why you would want to sneak away from WorldCon....smiles!!

As for alcohol, it is available in every grocery store. I think you will definitely want to check out the new Total Wine and More store, it is about two miles from the Peppermill on Virginia and you should be albe to find what you are looking for.

Have a great time in Reno!!!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:40 PM

414 posts, read 972,233 times
Ben's liquor store at the corner of Lakeside and Moana, about a mile SW of the Peppermill. They have a wine tasting every Friday night at 5 PM. You pay $5 but if you buy anything it gets refunded.

The hotel should be able to tell you what is in town in the way of shows. However you should also check on what is going on up at Lake Tahoe.

If you are into sporting goods, Scheel's over in Sparks is more interesting than the Cabelas west of Reno. If you only got time for one, go to Scheel's.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:55 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll definitely check out the booze stores for hard liquor. Wine, not so much. I live in Western Oregon, after all, and world class wine vintages are literally in my back yard. I'm not far from Pyrennes Vinyards, and if you get a chance to taste their 2008 Syrah, don't pass it up. Sadly, this year has been cool and damp, so the 2011 vintage will be vin exceedingly ordinaire.

This is my first Worldcon, but I remember Westercon in Seattle, when I got tired and decided to take in a movie. I walked across the street to something called "Independence Day", and was really entertained. How appropriate.

Getting away for a vacation is a rare thing for my wife and me. We finally found a house sitter to take care of our four large dogs. I'm looking forward to seeing a little more of Reno than the inside of the Reno-Sparks Convention Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area