U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 AM

82 posts, read 83,105 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are considering moving and I am curious about the average price for:

2 cans of garbage & recycling
Power
Water
Cable

Groceries:
Milk
A bottle of simple wine
Diapers
Fresh Meat
Cheese

Is there a lot of fresh produce there? Year round? Like farmers markets/fruit stand kinds of things?

What does the water taste like? When we lived in AZ, you can't drink it and here in WA, it's just fine.

Thank you for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM

1,228 posts, read 471,504 times
how is it even possible for us to answer these questions....

we all have different home sizes and they are all insulated differently. Some of us have more appliances then others. we have different schedules and may not be home as often as others.

As per groceries be specific what brand are you refferring to? I can quote you prices on 20 different cheeses, milk , wine, etc and none of them being the ones you have ever bought.

Water everyone has different usage for water.

Only thing that we can help you with is cable and again we all have different packages and deals.

My cable is a 2 bundle cable and internet with charter. I pay $50

I don;t recyle and dont know anyone who does in NV

Old 08-18-2011, 03:21 PM

People don't recycle in NV? It's mandatory here, that's funny...

Good points.

We have a 1700 sq ft home, newish...

Funny, milk is milk here... a gallon will run you about $3.

We are a family of 3 that shower daily, most people would be about the same?

I have digital cable with on demand, internet and phone right now.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofraininwa View Post
People don't recycle in NV? It's mandatory here, that's funny...

Good points.

We have a 1700 sq ft home, newish...

Funny, milk is milk here... a gallon will run you about $3.

We are a family of 3 that shower daily, most people would be about the same?

I have digital cable with on demand, internet and phone right now.
I am a renter in a building and we are not required to recycle but there are optional bins outside.

having a 1700 where ever you are is not telling us much. You can have a empty house you can have a lot of electronics you can be home a lot you can be home a little for all we know. You can be facing the north you can be facing the south. Also how your home is inuslated. Some have there water heated by electric some dont . Some people cook a lot some dont cook at all.

I live in a 540 square foot apt that is on the end one apt on one side of me and the other is exposed to the west. I don;t have gas I only have electric my bill in the winter is about $35 and my summer bill is about $55 . my apt is very well insulated and i seldom use the heater I use a electric blanket in the evening when its very cold.

Again i dont know where you are coming from but Milk is not Just Milk here we have several brand names, and several types and several sizes.
I will use a gallon of whole milk from Walmart as a estimate from a local supplier from $2.65 to 3.50 depending on the Stock and Commodities market.

Showering MOST PEOPLE ARE NOT THE SAME..... Some people shower once a day some shower more some people have their water included in their HOA some don;t Some people take long showers some take long showers. SOme wash there clothes at home some go to the laundry some wash a lot of clothes every day some dont. Some people waste water and let it run some conserve Some people have a dishwasher some people dont some peopl have a lot of dishes some use plastic........... So Its not easy to give you a estimate on water since there are so many variables.

As for cable and internet I gave you the quote of my bill that is a special that i got after I haggled that and was allowed to keep it for 2 yrs. My land line phone is with ATT I just have local service and it is $5 flat but only local service in N. Nv.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 AM

773 posts, read 787,755 times
If you search for 'cost if living data' you'll find various sites that will compare one city with another, some even break down item costs (gallon of milk and the like). That data is compiled from various sources and likely a bit off.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:29 AM

10,481 posts, read 14,709,173 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Reno is more expensive. Just for reference I also moved to Reno from Phoenix back in 2006. I left within a month as it was a mistake. I headed back to Phoenix but stopped here in Vegas and never left.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 05:19 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 09:29 AM

Thank you for the comparison... I will check the WA vs. Reno comparision and I'm willing to bet WA is more expensive. That's where I currently live.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:30 AM

What about the bottom questions I asked?

Is there a lot of fresh produce there? Year round? Like farmers markets/fruit stand kinds of things?

What does the water taste like? When we lived in AZ, you can't drink it and here in WA, it's just fine.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 AM

10,481 posts, read 14,709,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofraininwa View Post
What about the bottom questions I asked?

I do not know about produce, but the water in Reno is not poisoned with fluoride so it is drinkable.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:33 AM

We have a lot of local farmers you can go thttp://www.localharvest.org/

As per water depends on where you live and your pipes , where your water is coming from and what your palete is. Everyone has different taste sensors so its hard to pin point. Az water is not the same as NV nor does it come from the same place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area