U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:45 PM

690 posts, read 2,441,085 times

Advertisements

used to be ppl immigrated to the United States to become AMERICANS. duh.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:19 PM

690 posts, read 2,441,085 times
SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Mexico -- Lawsuit targets Mexican truckers

Old 08-31-2007, 10:44 PM

154 posts, read 902,274 times
My, how short sighted and forgetful of our history some of us have become. I love the complaints about Mexicans coming to the U.S. and speaking Spanish. It's amazing how easily threatened some people are when they see a change in the status quo. Guess what? 150 years from now the official language of the U.S. may not be English. God knows it wasn't one of the official languages when Europeans "discovered" this land. As they say, history does have a way of repeating itself.

In my opinion, this isolationist movement currently sweeping the United States will be it's downfall. We might as well take down the Statue of Liberty and build a giant wall around the whole country. After that we can round up all the Mexicans and show them what it really means to "live in a free country".

FWIW, I'm not saying it's never okay to be upset with those who come to this country and "work the system", but it's totally unacceptable to paint everyone of the same skin color/ethnicity with the same brush. That's mighty dangerous territory.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:20 PM

76 posts, read 341,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francej16 View Post
Well sweetie.. people like you are in the minority. My majority speaks *hence amnesty shot down...

btw.. check out my bolding of your monologue.... They can keep their cultures and be proud of their traditions w/o TAKING ANY OF THE AMERICANS but I cannot keep mine and should take part in their culture??? LMFAO.. You are such a hippocrit.

Are you married to a illegal?????

And other thing...Yup my father WAS a foreigner. The thing about him is he came to this country LEGALLY. He EARNED his citizenship, he EARNED his own social security card and he speaks only english.

He does not consider himself anything other than an American and the only flag he waves or hangs outside my folks house is the AMERICAN flag.

see hun.. HUGE difference.... Tell you what. They are so in need why don't you give them YOUR ss# so that they can keep trying for that better life.... Thank god people like you are few and far between (usually haunting the internet because if you tried that tired monologue above in the real word you'd be considered everything but a TRUE american...
First off let me tell you that I respect your opinion though I don't agree with it, but it sounds to me as if you feel hurt or threatened for some reason.

I did not say that you needed to take their culture and cant keep your own... and that people who come here shouldn't take American traditions and culture. I was simply saying that understanding and learning goes a long way to getting to know others. People who think as I do are not so few and far between as you may think, perhaps its just the circle of people that I tend to lean towards, who have a more open mind. Most people don't like to live or step outside of their familiar comfort zone, and being around someone who is different than themselves is uncomfortable for most.

I didn't think you were specifically talking about illegals... I don't condone illegals, not at all. They come here for our way of life and the opportunities that it can bring... just like everyone else who comes, has come, and will come here, they should apply and become an American Citizen,that is a given. Illegal aliens are a big issue and problem with not so simple solutions and as you probably know has been around for a long time. People complain that they are taking jobs away from the citizens of America... but let me ask you... would you do some of the jobs that they do? I will stop there... Without getting into the history of the whose backs really built the economy of this country...

Let me ask you what IS a TRUE AMERICAN? Because I feel as I do, makes me less of an American? Part of being an American is having the freedom to express ones self the way one feels, it is one of the basic rights. I don't have to try my "tired monologue" in the real world, I don't know whose real world you are talking about. I don't talk it I live it, by doing so it has given me great satisfaction and the respect of many people. I have lived in several different areas of the country and have experienced many different types of thought processes and people, that alone has helped me to understand more about people in general. Believe it or not I do understand where you are coming from...

No I am not married to an illegal, why do you even ask that question?

Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 PM

791 posts, read 2,688,939 times
Can we leave the politics and immigration issues to those specific forums.
This is getting very messy!

Old 09-01-2007, 06:20 AM

Red face Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Can we leave the politics and immigration issues to those specific forums.
This is getting very messy!
Sorry you are right, I didnt expect this to get out of hand...

Old 09-01-2007, 07:07 AM

Default Portland

Jwaters,
Portland and the PNW is a beautiful place to live. I lived there for 10 yrs... the summers are great, virtually no rain and great temps, but the winters are a bit depressing, it rains all the time. I am a sunshine person so it was hard for me to deal with at times. If you are an outdoors type and love to camp, hunt, fish, hike, etc you will like it a lot. One thing about it up there is the coffee, it is fantastic...those Northwesterners know how to make a good cup of coffee. There are coffee houses galore, and drive through independent coffee huts all over as well as plus the usual coffee places like Starbucks.

I especially like Seattle! It is much more beautiful, than Portland but big and congested.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:49 PM

19 posts, read 75,750 times
BasinGuide,
Yes, your absolutely eligible for some disability compensation.
My wife works in the V.A. office responsible for processing claims and deciding awards for situations just like yours.
If you want to email me, I'll have her explain the process and give you an idea of what to expect. pohlposition@sbcglobal.net

Old 09-01-2007, 05:56 PM

19 posts, read 75,750 times
"go to the regional office on terminal way in reno."

That office moved. It's now off DoubleR near Longley.
5460 Reno Corporate Drive,
Reno, NV 89511

The length of the process from making a claim to determining award depends greatly on how long the service you were in (Navy I presume) takes to forward your service records. One thing that really helps is if you have any kind of combat medal or award.
pohlposition@sbcglobal.net

Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,815,019 times
Thanks Norby, I emailed you on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area