U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2007, 02:51 AM

20 posts, read 136,338 times

Advertisements

Okay, so obviously I've done mapquest...but who really knows better than those who have actually done the drive. My husband will be working in Fernley...just wanted to know what that commute may be like? Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 01:05 PM

3,480 posts, read 9,160,442 times
It's about 35 miles and all level interstate freeway and you can go about 70 mph (but wouldn't recommend that in the winter). There can be lots of truck traffic at times.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:48 PM

62 posts, read 425,166 times
This is an easy commute as long as there are no problems. The majority of it is through a river canyon so when there's a wreck there is no way around. A coworker of mine was stuck out there for several hours once just sitting on the freeway. As the previous poster mentioned there is a lot of truck traffic and that's what caused the wreck which shut the freeway down.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:50 PM

154 posts, read 676,018 times
The bad thing about this commute is the lack of alternate routes in and out of the area. If it snows you have to pull to side of the highway and put on chains. If there is an accident, it could take you 1-2 hours to get home. On top of that, there's very little to do in the area (IMO), so you will constantly have to get in your car and drive long distances for any real shopping, dining, etc.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:47 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,814,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.P. View Post
Okay, so obviously I've done mapquest...but who really knows better than those who have actually done the drive. My husband will be working in Fernley...just wanted to know what that commute may be like? Thx.
Why not get a home in Fernly? From what I understand it's growing quite quickly. I would much prefer to live outside of Reno but also enjoy going in for shopping and entertainment.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:49 PM

114 posts, read 241,391 times
hubby and I lived in Fernley and commuted to our jobs in Reno.

It was a 44 mile drive each way from our house in Fernley (by the golf course) and our jobs (IGT)

Old 08-30-2007, 10:52 PM

692 posts, read 1,820,292 times
yep. fernley is getting it's own walmart.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.P. View Post
35 -40 minutes on good days and no major traffic accidents. i make this drive quite often from fernley to sparks.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,457 times
We are relocating to reno at the end of the month and we were looking into houses out in fernley. And was wondering if anyone could tell me anythng about it. We are relocating from ny. But the problem that we are running into is that we would like to live closer to reno but cant afford the rent. For a whole house out in fern we could rent a full 3 b house for 900.00 or less but cant find anything in reno for that price and we dont want an apartment or a twonhome. Do you think fern is a good choice and is the drive bad. Or is it a bad area to live in. Could someone please e mail me back and let me know thank you mlglogue@gmail.com

Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 PM

512 posts, read 329,032 times
My son lived in Fernley for a few years when he worked at Amazon, he liked it. I don't like it; it's just too small for me. I think it might work for a young family whose lives revolve around their kids but I'm retired and like to have more options for shopping and places to go. I live in Reno and even find it a bit small for me. There was quite a flood in Fernley a few years ago, not sure exactly what parts of town were affected but if you are looking for a house, you might want to inquire with some locals about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area