U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:06 PM

440 posts, read 878,142 times

Advertisements

There was no evidence at all Jose Reyes was "bullied." Let's stop shifting blame from where it REALLY lies, and that is with the parents who left the gun around for their son to find.

Stop blaming schools for the problems at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I searched for sparks middle school to see if there was a thread already for discussing the school shooting and came upon this thread.

Everytime there is a school shooting now I have this overwhelming urge to take my kids out of public school. I fight it, because I know I'm just being emotional and unrealistic, but there seem to be so many more shootings in recent years. My kids have 5 more years and then they are done with K-12, thank goodness. I hope that time goes by fast.

I am wondering how the OP handled the bullying issue she posted about? Is this a particularly rough school?
How does sheltering your kids protect them when they are adults?

They don't. Private schools aren't all that anyway.

There was NO evidence Jose Reyes was bullied. "Bullying" isn't the issue here but PARENTAL STUPIDITY in leaving their gun around is. They are criminally liable.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatitaly6 View Post
There was no back patting, I have no yearning to impress you or others on an internet forum. My description backed up my point, the point that I went to public school and I have done more in the last 6-7 years than most people do in a lifetime. There are guys and gals I graduated with who have accomplished more than me. Zip codes do not determine school success, again that is a cop out answer. We are a town of 600k+ and I would wager that almost every HS here scores higher than ANY school in the Reno-Carson-VC-Tahoe area. The possible exception being our worst school versus damonte. Take Palmer High School here in town, great test scores, IB program, and they have problems at the school as it is inner city, drugs-gangs-fights-etc. The teachers here TEACH, and they teach from the heart. Guess what, D20 schools might be the best in the state, but D11 teachers get paid a little more. Like I said, half of it is the families that live in the more affluent areas, upper middle class, that teach VALUES to their kids, and the VALUE of a good education. That is something that is not prevalent in all areas. But that is only half of it. Palmer High School is inner city, gangs, drugs, a stones throw from one of the worst parks in the city, etc....BUT they have solid teachers, great people who have dedicated their lives to teaching. I have many friends who went there. The teachers make the difference, and they routinely post high test scores, place kids in IVY league schools, AND have a strong IB program with some of the smartest kids in the state outside of D20.

Sun Valley is horrible, I've heard about it. I've also heard that the families there are mostly trailer-***** and the teachers as well. So.....is it the zip code or is it the quality of people? MOST teachers nowadays, need to retire. This is the millennial generation, built on technology and multi-tasking. Generation X and Y are becoming obsolete. Teachers need to KEEP going to school to learn new education techniques, earn masters degrees and earn their Ed.D's. You either become vested in your students or you show up to work everyday for a paycheck. There needs to be a FIRM review board that kicks obsolete and useless teachers out. Video tape classes for a year and see who hacks it and who doesn't. Another point is if you can't relate to kids, why would you teach? There was an initiative when I was in High School years ago, that evaluated teacher performance in 10 areas. Only one area was the test scores. Two of the areas were qualitative methodologies that studied teacher's ability to relate to students and prove effective. This is the age of the internet, these kids can google in five minutes, what it would take you to teach for an hour, ten short years ago. If you can't adapt, make class interesting, incorporate technology and be personable, you're on the way out the door and the faster the better.

Teachers have more face time with kids then anybody else in their young lives. Parents entrust their kids to these strangers with the hope that the school vetted them. I will pay for my kids to go to private school before ever putting them into a bad school like North Valley. I will move to Damonte Ranch if we don't buy there initially, if I have to. If you want to make a difference, pull your kids out of the weak schools and put them in private ones. Move, write letters, do SOMETHING to get these under-performing teachers out of school.

By the way, I don't spend much time "surfing" or in chat rooms. I joined this one a few days back to ask a specific question about relocating to Reno. I didn't intend on typing in another post but after I saw your ridiculous response I could not resist. Yes, I assumed you're a teacher because the only people I've heard talk about the "tests" that way are the teachers who can't hack it. The exam tests things that you should be teaching the kids ANYWAY, why would you need extra time to prepare? Teach correctly and you get results. And before you throw your negative nancy routine at me, I do speak quite often in front of HS classes here where I live. My old teachers bring me in to speak about anything from international politics, homeland security, the military and life overseas, management techniques and other topics. Some of the classes were at schools in Widefield district, which are the worst for Colorado Springs, its all about getting their interest and teaching them something that THEY see the value in.
You have a long rant, and you don't even know what in the hell you are talking about.

There are problems in the district, but it isn't with teachers. It's with horrible, overpaid administrators who can't be fired. Teachers are easily sacked.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:00 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,009,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
There was no evidence at all Jose Reyes was "bullied." Let's stop shifting blame from where it REALLY lies, and that is with the parents who left the gun around for their son to find.

Stop blaming schools for the problems at home.
I agree with your post. We don't know what his home life was like or what his mental state was.

His parents had a right to own a gun so I will not blame them for that. But with kids around, you HAVE to keep that locked far away and make it impossible for them to get to.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I agree with your post. We don't know what his home life was like or what his mental state was.

His parents had a right to own a gun so I will not blame them for that. But with kids around, you HAVE to keep that locked far away and make it impossible for them to get to.
The parents are legally responsible and need to be held accountable for their negligence.

I actually knew the teacher who was killed there though I didn't know him well. He started at SMS from another WCSD school in 2006-2007, which was my last year at that school. His room was right down the hall from mine.

I am in another state now, but the news was very devastating to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area