U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 23,495 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting a job in Reno and after doing some preliminary research, I think the Galena area is where we would move, but I'm hoping you can help me with some questions I have.

A bit of background: our kids are 14, 12, 3, and 2 mo's.

* Is Craigslist the best place to search for rentals? We want to rent before we buy. We'd be looking for a nice 5 bedroom close to Galena HS and shopping, etc. Yes, "suburbia". Are homes around there mostly HOA communities?

* Weather. I understand it snows there more than downtown Reno. Can you tell me more about that? Are the roads cleared or do you drive on the snow? And when does it typically start warming up again? Is it windy there? What's summer like?

* Is Pine the only public middle school? What can you tell me about middle school(s) there?

* Are stores like Costco, Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joes nearby? I know about Summit mall.

* How long does it take to drive there from 80? What's traffic like?

* Sports for the kids?

* Churches? (Christian)

And any other comments about the area would be appreciated. Pictures would be awesome too!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 AM

59 posts, read 137,949 times
I have researched the Galena area myself for the weather patterns and this is the best resource I found. It is a weather station established in the Galena Forest Estates and they have various weather/climate stats of the area for the last 4-5 years. I used it to look at the winter and summer temps, precipitation and winds of the area. Here is the link: Weather Station History : Weather Underground

Old 01-20-2012, 01:37 AM

Thanks for your comment.

Anyone else have input?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,781,961 times
The interchange of I-80 to Summit Mall will take about 15 minutes on 395 - everything you mentioned regarding shopping, churches etc. can be found off 395 between Summit Mall and I80.

Snow removal - there is a system, highways and bus routes are first, residential streets, well in the 20 years I have lived here I have only seen the non-bus route residential streets done once and that was after the huge storm the end of 2005 into 2006 I believe it was.

I'd avoid Craigslist and hook up with some local property managers and realtors to help with housing.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:09 PM

Thank you, that was helpful.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 AM

295 posts, read 482,725 times
why would livig near Trader joe be important

Galena is a very wealthy area and very clique'''eee so be ready for the LOOK... and make sure you ahve a nice car, and diva designer wear both you and your kids

Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,781,961 times
Sports:
There are all kinds of various leagues here, baseball, soccer, basketball, volleyball etc. The high schools also have the all the usualy sports. I think Galena is one of the few with LaCrosse.
There is also skiing - most of the schools have ski teams/clubs, the resorts have ski teams and for the younger set the Sky Tavern Jr. Ski program is awesome.

There is another middle school in the Damonte area but I don't think it feeds into Galena. I do believe that Pine is the feeder school to Galena

Couple of the larger Christian churches in the area that come to mind are:
Reno Christian Fellowship (RCF)
South Reno Baptist

Old 03-01-2012, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,762 times
Hello there! I don't know if you will receive this seeing as it is a few days back that you posted but i thought I would share my input anyways!

I have lived in South Reno (Galena/Damonte area) my entire life, and from what I can tell you I love this part of town, especially in recent years.

When it comes to rentals homes, I do know that there are plenty of homes, especially in the Damonte/ Double Diamond area. These areas are just down the hill from Galena, and are newer than Galena too. However, these areas feed into Damonte Ranch High School, which IMO is not as good as Galena (and I attended DRHS). Galena will be more expensive than the other communities, but it is also nicer. Damonte/Double Diamond have a much more suburbia feel to them, with bike paths, more parks, and very easy access to nearby shopping centers. It is also fairly quite too, unless you get close to 395, then it tends to get a bit noisier.

Galena is at a higher elevation than the valley, so yeah it might get a bit more snow, but not a horrible amount. We rarely ever get a heavy snowfall though, and if we do, it clears/melts quickly. The city is fairly good at clearing the streets too, so its never much of a problem. As for warmer weather, its a surprise every year! Thats the joy of Northern Nevada. One week it is nice and sunny, the next its cold and windy. Sometimes you even see the difference in a day. We do get high winds too, but they are not as bad as some people claim. Just takes a little adjustment. Our summers tend to be a bit dry and hot, and from what I remember it generally starts around may/june. We do have lovely spring and fall seasons here though.

There is a new middle school too, which is Depoli, but I don't know if the Galena area goes there. However, I advise avoiding Pine Middle School if at all possible. It is located in a fairly shady neighborhood, which isn't horrible, but not great either. Depoli is new, and I don't have much information on it, but from what I have heard is that it is a nice school.

All of the stores that you mentioned also happen to be within close proximity. No more than 10 to 15 minutes out from the Summit Sierra, which is at the edge of town. They are also all off of Highway 395, which is the primary artery running North to South. There are also plenty of other grocery stores in the area, such as Walmart, Winco, Save Mart, Scolaries, Raleys, all within 5 minutes of most places in South Reno. There are a swath of shopping centers off of 395 too, with plenty of shopping opportunities.

It takes about 15 minutes to get to Galena from I-80, but recently there has been construction so, it might take a little bit longer. Not much of a difference though. On most days it takes me 20-25 minutes to get to UNR, and I currently live in Double Diamond, and UNR is off I-80.

Mamacatnv did a good job explaining sports. There are plenty of youth sports groups out there, and several parks for individual play. In Galena they have a large sports area next to the library with soccer fields, baseball fields, a park, etc, and there are always games going on.

Like I stated before South Reno is a very nice community. There are plenty of activities, and if it never takes that much time to get anywhere else in town. I hope this helps!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 AM

Thank you so much Clay and mamacatnv! SUPER helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area