Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:28 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,215,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
Rents are higher since its a renters market buying a house/codo is low since its a buyers market.
Sorry if I was unclear, I meant buying is low - really low. The foreclosures will begin to flood the market again when the banks figure out how to deal with the new default rules. For now, IMO the slowdown in the foreclosure rate is a false sense of security. I personally believe that housing in this area will continue to decline, I don't think we have hit the bottom yet.

The jobs market outlook for 2012 is dismal and that will continue to affect the housing market as more and more people either leave, run out of unemployment benefits or lose their jobs. Employers here continue to downsize, the state/city gov'ts continue to talk about further reductions etc.

I don't think Reno is going to see an economic recovery anytime soon. That is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 02:29 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,920,873 times
I agree........ things are not getting better here YET and with these gas prices makes you wonder even more whats installed for this summer. People are struggeling already this is just going to make matters worse when it comes to paying bills.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,278,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I don't think Reno is going to see an economic recovery anytime soon. That is just my opinion.
I agree. I don't think so either. I remember when the area was begging for workers in some sectors. I met quite a few who came...and quickly left. The job market, in general, was that fluid and they quickly decided they didn't like the area.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:54 PM

491 posts, read 2,285,473 times
I have friends who live there and I visit often and it is on my short list of places to move to next (I'm in California now).

I love the western landscape of that part of the country. Drive 5 minutes out of town and you are in the middle of nowhere and may spot some wild horses.

From Reno you can take car trips to Napa Valley, Mammoth Lakes, Yosemite and even San Francisco.

Yes, the housing market in Nevada is in the toilet and nowhere near the bottom yet. Good for newcomers and retirees. The economy took a huge fall accordingly, but it will get better slowly but surely. It's laid-back and unpretentious. The weather is pretty good and almost always sunny.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:07 PM

859 posts, read 1,053,625 times
We're on the central Oregon coast, and I retired a few years ago. I hope the Reno area housing market keeps going down, since we plan on moving there in a year or two. Tired of the rain, the liberal local politics, the taxes.
We've been to Reno enough times to know it's not paradise. But it's got everything we need. Now, we still need to find an area with the least wind. THAT would be paradise.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 PM

30 posts, read 57,253 times
so far they are going down and a lot of people are leaving N. NEV for jobs in other states. Some are just walking away from their homes/

Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 AM

53 posts, read 85,258 times
Default It is what it is

I've been o this forum for a little bit. I have googled and have done a lot of research. You are looking for what my wife and I are looking for. Reno has it. My wife was living in Fredericksburg, VA and I loved it except the cost of living is higher with slightly less pay. most of my familly is in So Cal and Vegas, while my wife has family in the bay area. I have family I want to get to know in the bay area. Also for divorce reasons its better we stay in west coast.

The NV schools in general are not that good. Clark County here in the Vegas Metro area is worse than Washoe county. In general teachers and parents make the best of what they have. I teach my kids all kinds of stuff, I make them read regardless if they have to or not. if you and your wife are great teachers then that makes the difference.

Housing in NV is some of the worst along with FL and AZ. which is a great time to buy.

Living in Vegas and So Cal I am use to gangs, so Reno can not be that bad. Being part of that crowd in my teens I can speak of this. Reno is mostly mexican gangs which usually fight against each other anyways.

Meth is everywhere. I lived in San Diego where Meth is everywhere especially since it is a border town. As always with gangs and high drug neighborhoods. Be aware of your surroundings and use common sense, even in good neighborhoods.

For us Tahoe and other lakes are nearby for fishing. Lots of camping especially with the Sierras next door. The SF bay area 3 hours area, which I want to take my family a few times a year. Its a closer drive to see Mt Rushmore. With roughly 400,000 in the Reno-Sparks metro area its big enough to be a city but small enough to live slower than the bigger cities. We can get jobs in the hospital, so I will be keeping a watch on posting, and apply ASAP. The positives outrank the negatives. Married with 4 boys, living many places we know what we want.

I dont think it is perfect, but perfect for what we want. Between my wife and I we lived in San Diego, Vegas, Hawaii, VA, Jersey City, Central Cali,a nd Chicago, and the Hi Desert (Victorville) CA. So we have experienced many different environments and know what we want. Maybe you'll be in line with us at the rent a car place. Luckily, Southwest airlines has descent rd-trip flights from Vegas and back!

Mid June we will be there driving all over, and taking it all in.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,822 times
I dont know why people think Californias so bad.Look at the crime rates for Reno and you will see

Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 PM

13 posts, read 22,938 times
Hi there! I just started working as a teacher in Washoe county this past August. I moved here from CO because our pay was continually being cut there and I couldn't afford housing. Here are a few things I've noticed: My paycheck here is MUCH bigger than it was in CO, not only because I was getting less money each year back there but also they make great contributions (vs. the employee) to retirement and no state income tax. 10 sick days and 5 personal days - that is also more than I have ever had. However, I know that teachers on the east coast make a lot more to begin with, so I don't know if you will be making as much out here as you were in VA. On the down-side: I am sorely lacking resources (my case may be unique though, in that I teach 2 languages throughout the day in a bilingual program - I just don't have any resources in Spanish), my class is quite big (26 in 3rd grade) and I have dealt with some of the MEANEST parents in my 12 years of teaching history. I didn't know this, but I guess my school is in a very affluent area and those people are beyond entilted.

Many schools here are either already on a year round schedule or moving towards one.

What else can I tell you? I don't think the wind is bad here. So far it was windier back in CO compared to here. I don't notice much crime and I feel very safe. I think it is a nice place to live. I even think it is quite clean! People kept on telling me it was a dirty, gross little city and I actually don't see that at all. Housing is CHEAP. I think it would be a nice place to raise a family. In the neighborhoods you see lots of happy children playing and riding their bikes. There are lots of bike/walking paths in the neighborhoods too. There is no congestion/crowding like the Front Range of CO. There is really nothing negative that I have come up with about the area. Having said that, ...I do feel like after this year I will return to the Rocky Mountains (YES - I am a huge outdoors enthusiast). We will see though - my final judgement will come after ski season! I just miss the Rockies and also really miss heading to the red rock desert of UT on a regular basis. Really trying to enjoy it here for what it is though! I also feel like the population is quite older here.

If I can help answer any questions at all about teaching in the district, please let me know! You can email me at kellylynn111@hotmail.com. Good luck!

Last edited by kellylynn111; 11-04-2012 at 10:38 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 02:39 PM

750 posts, read 1,062,664 times
Well, we are (were?) seriosly considering moving to reno this summer/fall but I'm now disapointed after reading this thread. I did not realize public schools were that bad in Reno. We are coming from WI and we were sort of excited about reno because my wife and I have a good work opportunity coming up there and we are very outdoorsy! Are the schools really that bad? I have 2 kids on elementary age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area