U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,777 times

Advertisements

VERIZON is telling me I have to pay them $250 for a device that will allow me to get their signal (maybe!) in our home. Verizon advertises full coverage in Verdi Nevada. I told them this was illogical and unreasonable considering I and my family has been customers of Verizon for many years. They refuse to deal with me even when I said that they were forcing me to leave their service.

Does anyone have any advice? We have a family plan under which we can talk to remote family members in the West.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 PM

613 posts, read 816,181 times
Is this a recent problem or an ongoing one? Did you purchase a new phone recently? If so, is it one of the new 4G/LTE smart phones? Verizon has had a lot of trouble with some of the new LTE devices, specifically in terms of call quality, data connectivity, and signal reception in general. If you do have a smart phone, I can point you to another forum where you may get some technical help if it's too late to exchange/return your phone.

That said, you still may be SOL not matter what kind of phone you have. Their coverage maps are approximate and you probably won't get a consistent signal if you're on the edge of their map. I believe they have something in the fine print about coverage not being guaranteed due to terrain, etc.

FWIW, all cell phone carriers give you a trial period, anywhere from 14-30 days. If you're unhappy about anything during this time, simply return the phone and walk away penalty free.

EDIT: What they are trying to sell you is called a network extender. Should you decide to go that route, you can get one on eBay for half of Verizon's price.

Last edited by Trash Can; 02-28-2012 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: info added

Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 PM

15 posts, read 12,693 times
I have the same situation with VERIZON, I moved to Reno in Dec 2011 from GA where I had great service with Verizon even in Middle Ga which is quite rural. But since I moved out on Toll Road in my apt the signal strength is terrible and I was dropping many calls. I will tell you I have been on the phone with Verizon many times since early January, lots of anger and I did purchase the signal extender but at 50% off of the price. It has made it so I can use my phone. Now before I did purchase this device I talked to some of the technicians and they stated if Verizon could not give me adequate service in my home that it "might" be possible to waive the penalty fee for leaving Verizon before my contract was up. So far my phone is working fine and I am hoping to find a cell phone service in Reno that can give me service in all areas of Reno.

Sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area