U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 AM

9 posts, read 13,743 times

Advertisements

We are planning our move to the area in early summer. We've made treks to the area to scope out the various areas a bit and to check out prices, amenities, opportunities for recreation and activities, the weather, and have put together a lot of general knowledge, but now it's time to gather more specific info (and some honest opinions). We have lived in large cities and small towns and like the size of the Reno/Sparks area - it seems to have everything we're looking for as a retired couple. Our plan is to rent a reasonably-sized apartment or condo while we search for a home to purchase, so our questions are about both rental opportunities and areas to seriously consider as home-buying areas. We look forward to any information you can provide, and realize opinions will vary - but the responses to this thread will help us with some of the big questions before we come out in a few weeks to secure an apartment. Thanks for your information in advance. 1. Rentals -- are month to month rentals available in safe neighborhoods and what do rents generally run for something in the 800-1000 sq. ft. range? 2. If leases are required, is 6-month viable, or is everyone requiring a one year-lease? 3. Pets in rentals? We have 2 cats. 4. Does anyone have knowledge of a few property management companies that would be good to contact before we get out there? 1. Home Purchase - We've seen varying opinions of the Stead area. We like what we have seen of it online, but are curious about the area and would love to hear more about it. 2. Where are the areas to avoid for a retired couple when considering a purchase? We already know that we're not interested in most of the area inside the McCarren loop. What about the area out by the airport? 1. General question -- we've read that some people have been thrilled with their move to the area and others are so discouraged that they're leaving. We'd be interested in hearing more about the pros and cons of the area. We've been impressed - particularly with the climate, the recreational and other activities available - and are surprised by the number of people who have moved there and are already leaving? Would be interested in reasons for the discouragement. Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say. We would ask that strongly negative opinions would be accompanied by some explanation, rather than just 'I hate it here' comments. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 AM

83 posts, read 186,455 times
I like Stead too. Area seems ok for the pricing.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,781,961 times
I have lived in the N. Valleys (Stead) area for 16 years and other than the massive decline in home values and the overall decline of the schools we have been very happy there.

The N. Valleys is an easy (no traffice lights) drive into town. The N. Valleys offers 3 grocery stores as well as the newly opened Super Wal-Mart, several fast food places and a decent sit down Mexican restaurant. There are also several small parks and access to some of the areas in N. Calif for Christmas tree cutting, camping etc are only 30-45 minutes away.
I travel often and loved having an airport so close.

We are in the process of moving for my job and selling our house was eye opening in regards to the current pricing. Right now you can buy a lot of house for very little money. We just sold our 1750 sq ft 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 3 car garage with brand new high end carpeting for a little over $100K.

My one word of warning would be, I do not believe the housing market has bottomed out and I would be leary of purchasing at this point in time. I think within the next 8-12 months we are going to see another flood of foreclosures hitting the market.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 AM

9 posts, read 13,743 times
Are glad to hear about people who do enjoy the Stead area. And we agree that the housing market hasn't quite bottomed-out yet, which is another reason we will rent first while we take our time looking for housing opportunities. Thanks so much, both of you.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:44 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,567,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzit View Post
Are glad to hear about people who do enjoy the Stead area. And we agree that the housing market hasn't quite bottomed-out yet, which is another reason we will rent first while we take our time looking for housing opportunities. Thanks so much, both of you.
accoding to the news, its gonna get worse and condos and homes are going to drop more since there are a lot more homes going into forclosure we are far from the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area