Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 PM

18 posts, read 44,667 times

Advertisements

ok, so we are moving to the reno area.

can i get peoples thoughts on carson city vs reno to raise a family?

schools, area, crime, quality of life, safe neighborhoods, shopping/stores/amenities, etc?

i have a work at home job, so commuting will not be an issue (at least for a long while i hope)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 AM

4 posts, read 25,922 times
You do not want to move here. We moved here from the Midwest and have regreted it ever since. The schools as some of the worst in the country. many of the people are rude and dishonest, we were robbed three times in four years (and thats in a good neighborhood). The high school (Galena) turned my happy teenager into an angry and bitter punk. The teachers are a joke and can not run the school, so they lower themselves to that of the kids. Dont bother checking with sites like "greatschools.com" because they will not print the really truthfull negative reviews. These sites are a scam!!!
The police are nasty and will ticket you when you havent broken the law, three tickets and I beat all of them in court because the a**hole cops should have never written them in the first place.
The number of lowlifes in this town is mind boggling. Real estate is a mess, illegals run rampant and the good weather and sking are not enough to make up for all this crap. If you love your kids, DONT MOVE HERE.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:31 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beidup View Post
You do not want to move here. We moved here from the Midwest and have regreted it ever since. The schools as some of the worst in the country. many of the people are rude and dishonest, we were robbed three times in four years (and thats in a good neighborhood). The high school (Galena) turned my happy teenager into an angry and bitter punk. The teachers are a joke and can not run the school, so they lower themselves to that of the kids. Dont bother checking with sites like "greatschools.com" because they will not print the really truthfull negative reviews. These sites are a scam!!!
The police are nasty and will ticket you when you havent broken the law, three tickets and I beat all of them in court because the a**hole cops should have never written them in the first place.
The number of lowlifes in this town is mind boggling. Real estate is a mess, illegals run rampant and the good weather and sking are not enough to make up for all this crap. If you love your kids, DONT MOVE HERE.
Didn't you say your kids went to Damonte in a different thread?

Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 26,653 times
Buyer beware, do not move here, there are no good places.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkin View Post
ok, so we are moving to the reno area.

can i get peoples thoughts on carson city vs reno to raise a family?

schools, area, crime, quality of life, safe neighborhoods, shopping/stores/amenities, etc?

i have a work at home job, so commuting will not be an issue (at least for a long while i hope)

I suggest avoiding both. Since you can work at home, consider Minden, gardnerville, genoa or Lake Tahoe Proper they are much nicer places to raise a family. The quality of life is much better, they are safer and you are still close to Carson City and Reno for shopping. Tahoe has a lot of shopping but your big box stores are going to be in CC or Reno.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:20 AM

83 posts, read 212,300 times
stead is nice too with cheap housing

Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,055 times
OP, it might help if you said why you are moving to Reno or Carson City. Work location is apparently not a factor. Some say don't move to either palce, but we don't know the specifics of your situation. Or your budget. Your kids would attend public schools?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:08 PM

843 posts, read 2,216,783 times
Another possible consideration would be if you are telecommuting, you'll need to think about how fast/reliable your internet connection needs to be.

Both places have decent internet and as far as I know two options (AT&T or Charter cable), however we found that in Reno the internet speeds available were far greater so we're moving there.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:23 PM

148 posts, read 545,612 times
Gee whiz, that angry person who posted, and you wonder why their kid turned into an angry punk? I don't think it was the school. I have friends from the Midwest who love it here. Your attitude is a big part of whether you will fit in anywhere. Angry bitter people will not be happy anyway and I feel sorry for them and hope they leave Reno SOON. Per capita, Reno has a lower crime rate than most places especially California. There are many great people here. I'm not sure what a hole cops that person ran into, but I haven't run into them except during Hot August Nights. Otherwise, if I'm speeding or driving unsafely, I've gotten ticketed but deserved them. I really think that person is angry and what goes around comes around. I've lived here since 1995 and you look for the positives. Personally, I'd live in Reno bc Carson is a small town. Reno has minor league baseball, more nightlife, more restaurants, more shopping, more everything. It all depends on what you want, small town or medium sized town. The safer neighborhoods as with most cities is the further out you live. In Reno, that means way south or far NW and Sparks it to our NE but if you go far NE Sparks you get nice neighborhoods including Spanish Springs. I'd suggest visiting here first and driving around. Seriously, no school can turn your kid into an angry punk.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:17 PM

18 posts, read 44,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
I suggest avoiding both. Since you can work at home, consider Minden, gardnerville, genoa or Lake Tahoe Proper they are much nicer places to raise a family. The quality of life is much better, they are safer and you are still close to Carson City and Reno for shopping. Tahoe has a lot of shopping but your big box stores are going to be in CC or Reno.

The thing is, I want to get a decent house for under 160K year that I can pay off in 15 years.

Also if I lose my job in Tahoe, there is even less work there than in Reno.

And if I lose my job living in Minden/Gardnerville, I do not want to commute back up to reno for work.

The areas we like are South Meadows and North Western Reno and North East Sparks.

Was thinking about Spanish Springs, but its sort of far out.

If I do lose my job up there, what kind of work is there to be found?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area