U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 PM

39 posts, read 117,763 times

Advertisements

On the map it does look like a great place for someone who wants the best of the outdoors and being in a city. I'm also single, late 20s, and wanting a place where people my age are social...I guess I better look up what a hipster/pre yuppie is before I visit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:17 AM

62 posts, read 162,389 times
Default Reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbob2 View Post
On the map it does look like a great place for someone who wants the best of the outdoors and being in a city. I'm also single, late 20s, and wanting a place where people my age are social...I guess I better look up what a hipster/pre yuppie is before I visit!
yes it is a good location 4 the outdoors as you describe, I have been to Reno twice and also to lake tahoe and mammoth lakes, auburn, and suburban sacramento communities in the foothills. reno is relatively close to these other locations.

hey, I looked up the definition for hipster and looks like I'm about half way there, but I *HATE* glasses and tight jeans. you're most likely to see me wearing a t shirt, cargo shorts, and trail running shoes. and, I don't vote Democrat, and am not an Obama supporter, so does that automatically exclude me as a hipster ??? as for pre yuppie, couldn't find a definition for that - let me know if you find one LOL !

Last edited by AAAplus; 06-14-2012 at 03:14 AM..

Old 06-16-2012, 05:24 PM

306 posts, read 658,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Little Drunk View Post
regarding big girls in Reno: Yeah, I go to Wal-Mart to check out the babes. You know women dress DOWN to go to Wal-Mart. You honestly expect women to wear high heels and designer dresses to go shopping at Wal-Mart??? There are BIG girls everywhere. 50% of Americans are overweight and a third are obese. Reno is actually one of the fittest outdoor cities, it's the South where you get the big ones. I wouldn't go to Wal-Mart to sample a city's women, I'd go to their bars and clubs. We have a lot of hot coeds at UNR and 20-something service industry hipster chicks.
The kinds of women who'd dress in high heels and designer dresses to go shopping for, what, more of the same? - wouldn't shop in Reno they'd get in their cars and haul it down to San Francisco to shop. If you're shopping at Wal-Mart chances are you're having your car oil changed while you wait and are there for the low priced groceries and people who shop like that don't dress "up" to do it. But then, Target is the same way.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,448,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
May be considering a job in Carson City. Was thinking of living in Reno and commuting since I'm still single and want to be around other singles. I'm a white male, early 30s, lots of education, white collar professional career. Grew up in the Midwest and have lived in the Mid-Atlantic area for the past 10 years. I like things like easygoing pubs, drinking Guinness, and of course attractive women. LOL. Would I fit in well in your area? Am I going to have an active social life?
NO.

The Reno-Carson City area is not a nice place for over-educated white collar professional single males, or females. Even in Reno, the yuppie community is small and many "come and go." Sure, many of the women there have normal jobs, but a sizable number of them work in gaming/entertainment.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 PM

5,324 posts, read 3,246,868 times
You will like it if you stay out of Spanish Springs. Spanish Springs looks nice but it just has houses and apartment buildings and strip malls. Western Reno near downtown is a more desirable place.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:56 PM

5,324 posts, read 3,246,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
NO.

The Reno-Carson City area is not a nice place for over-educated white collar professional single males, or females. Even in Reno, the yuppie community is small and many "come and go." Sure, many of the women there have normal jobs, but a sizable number of them work in gaming/entertainment.
Reno/Sparks/Carson City would be a good area for a professional to set up a firm. It's affordable and has low taxes. The reason why Nevada got devastated by the recession because lots of people moved here and most of them had very little savings.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 9,343 times
You meet women at church, work or school. Wal-Mart not just a representation of this area there are overwheight badly dressed people everywhere in this country. Take a look at www.peopleofwalmart.com. You will stop generalizing about Reno or surrounding areas, it is everywhere.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,776,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Reno/Sparks/Carson City would be a good area for a professional to set up a firm. It's affordable and has low taxes. The reason why Nevada got devastated by the recession because lots of people moved here and most of them had very little savings.
Ummmm ya, I don't think so.
Perhaps it was the heavy reliance on the construction industry that died
Perhaps it is the lack of decent schools. Tech firms have a hard time getting their employees to want to live somewhere where their kids only have access to crappy education.
Perhaps the loss of jobs had something to do with it, even people with a lot of savings have been severly affected by the Reno economy. Sitting on houses that have lost 50% of their value but not the principal owed to the bank

I could go on and on but bottom line, IMO your comment is just ridiculous

Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 AM

843 posts, read 1,824,173 times
Somehow IGT manages to find people to hire anyway (2500 according to them). As well as many other tech related companies. I'm not suggesting Reno is particularly better than other places for tech firms however it sure seems to be supporting quite a few.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,244 times
Reno is a tourist town with a small tech industry, but its mainly a service driven economy.

The area isnt real on jobs right now, I believe Nevada has the worst unemployment in the country right now.

If you have a job in the tech industry try to get a guarantee for length of employment, if they even still do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area