Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,517 times

Advertisements

Typical of many Seniors; "I want what I want; when I want it." Like many too; Money is always a limiting factor in decision-making.

At my age, it is time to get out of South Dakota - - just too Cold for this old dude.

The Reno area is high on my list. Was there less than a year ago. Haven't been on the NORTH Side, but kinda liked the South Meadowlands area. Anyone know how the area squares with my fantasy, "wish list;" which includes: close prominity to Movies, Shopping (Grocery Stores, Walgreens), Libraries, and decent eateries. Clean Air, and well planned and moving traffic patterns, a must. Area must have low Crime; where one's property is reasonably secure when one leaves town.

Great views would be a nice change from the flat lands of the Dakota's. Are there any Reno-topia's that someone might steer this old dude? Not adverse to, Senior Only, Communities; as long as they are ACTIVE! I am old - - but, not Dead! YET!!

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 PM

26 posts, read 53,736 times
Quote:
my fantasy, "wish list;" which includes: close prominity to Movies, Shopping (Grocery Stores, Walgreens), Libraries, and decent eateries. Clean Air, and well planned and moving traffic patterns, a must. Area must have low Crime; where one's property is reasonably secure when one leaves town.
I can answer all that with one word...DOWNTOWN. Get yourself a condo downtown and you will have everything on your wish list including breathtaking views of Mount Rose and the Truckee River which runs right through downtown. There's a movie theatre right on the riverwalk, shopping in Midtown, Walgreens a quick walk or free bus ride away, there's a library, art museum & auto museum all within a few minutes of walking. When you leave town, just lock the door behind you. You won't even have to worry about shoveling snow.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:24 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,956,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaimee View Post
Fleas and ticks require a certain amount of humidity to survive. It takes temperatures of 60 degrees or more for fleas to breed and a humidity of around 50 percent for the flea larvae to hatch.
Our dogs have acquired fleas twice in 30 years. Once we had a neighbor move into the rental next to us, coming from CA with their dogs infested. The second time we had an exceptionally warm winter, wet spring/summer.

And I've seen plenty of ticks here on my livestock and after hiking in the foothills.

For my dogs, I use a monthly flea/tick preventative from March - Dec. And for the livestock, they get a dose of de-wormer (takes care of all the other stuff too) 1-2 times per season.

What is more of a concern now is mosquitoes with West Nile Virus. It is being found here more frequently. Most horse owners vaccinate for it now.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:56 PM

29 posts, read 83,525 times
The Wallgreen near downtown is built on an overpass over interstate 80. Kinda weird.
"Clean Air"? During the winter this area is subject to inversions that can raise health issues, and cause it to be 10 degrees colder or more than it is above 6,000ft. Example, it can be 35 at 2:30pm in downtown Reno but close to 50 at the lake.
Also, at times in the summer smoke from wildfires can cause unhealthful air. This past August of 2013 was terrible. Visibility was less than 1/4 mile at times for several weeks due to a fire 150 miles south near Yosemite National Park, in CA. The air was supposedly worse than Beijing China at times. It was an exception. )'(

Old 12-21-2013, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,519 times
Just stumbled on this forum and this thread, so I thought I'd weigh in with my two cents.

We love Reno. I'm from here, then lived in Phoenix and in So California. You couldn't pay me enough to leave. It's a small town feel, with nice people and nice neighbors for the most part. Yes, the wind blows. It depends on where you are as to how much you get. We have dry weather, so that when the temperatures drop it doesn't feel as cold. The snow evaporates more than melts and sometimes you have to add water to get it to make a snowball.

There are ghost towns to explore, breath-takingly beautiful river scenery (just get out of the downtown a little and follow the 50 +/- mile trail system), events of some kind or other every weekend, great locals-only prices at restaurants, a redeveloping midtown and my favorite, a very dog-friendly climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area