U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM

50,016 posts, read 42,368,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You can order most vet drugs over the internet rather than through the vet.
not heartworm meds, you have to have your animal tested and it is by perscription only. Flea and tick meds can be ordered via the net. Now, if, after testing your vet gives you a perscription then, yes, you can. Our vet was giving the perscription but now, just gives us the same price as the internet sites.

As for the answer to the ops question, I would guess in Reno heartworm meds wouldn't be necessary, at least not year around but after having a dog contact heartworms years ago, I don't think I would take any chances.

Nita
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 AM

775 posts, read 806,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
You'd have to trust a vet on many things regarding your pets' health, but if you haven't yet found one you know you can trust, you could contact the local humane society and/or animal shelter.
Not really, if you have any concerns second opinions and research can verify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
(BTW, here's a notice (from a vet) about a case of heartworm in a cat in the area: Heartworm positive cat found in Carson City | Facebook)
Looks like a vet trying to spread FUD and make sales.. note the last line:
Quote:
Contact us today to schedule your cat for a quick and easy in house heartworm test.
Who knows where that cat came from, considering this is the first case they've ever seen the odds are that it's a fluke *if* the cat existed at all.

All things considered this message has the hallmarks of an attempt to scare people into spending money.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 AM

I'm attempting to contact someone at UNR regarding this. I have a feeling that nobody will be willing/able to offer an opinion on the subject.. However It's worth a try.

I'd really like to see a reasoned opinion on why you should/should not give your pet preventatives from someone who has no financial interest in the outcome.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 AM

No response from UNR.

As far as I can tell, unless you have mosquitoes AND sustained temperatures above 57f there is no reason to give your pets poison.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:13 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,462,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Not really, if you have any concerns second opinions and research can verify.
Looks like a vet trying to spread FUD and make sales.. note the last line:
Who knows where that cat came from, considering this is the first case they've ever seen the odds are that it's a fluke *if* the cat existed at all.

All things considered this message has the hallmarks of an attempt to scare people into spending money.
-The message about the cast may be a pure lie just to get people to spend money. I don't know. Neither do you.

-Maybe I've just had good luck in finding reputable vets, who gave me honest recommendations and spelled out my options. Our pets have meant enough to us that we don't avoid vets' recommendations just to save money. We aren't naive. We ask questions. I see nothing wrong about asking a vet about heartworm medicine and then looking for verification.

-If UNR won't respond, I'd keep trying, but I'd also contact a local humane society (asking thenm where the best source of local info would be).

Old 05-10-2012, 03:50 PM

Something I found interesting: Citadel Tibetan Mastiffs Heartworm Timing

According to the maps on that site heartworm meds for Reno should be started in July and stopped in October.

Of course I can't find anything corroborating that information. The AHS stumps for year round, claiming other benefits.

This is perhaps relevant if using heartguard: Suit Alleges Heartgard Plus Cover-Up

Old 08-01-2013, 12:46 PM

Thought I'd update. Our local vet recommended NOT administering heartworm medications as long as we're not traveling with our dog to areas more prone to the disease. That was very refreshing, I usually expect to be pressed for sales on this type of thing.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 PM

502 posts, read 286,411 times
I think it depends where you live in the area. Vet offices in the area have seen more than a few cases of heartworm over the last few years. If you have mosquitoes, you will have heartworm. Having worked in a lab that does work for vets (a few years ago there was no test they could do in the office, so they sent specimens to us) we have seen many cases of heartworm, both cats and dogs.

If you go camping, live near any water like lakes or creeks in the area...I would do heartworm preventative at least May through October or the first hard freeze. If you choose to do it for only part of the year the dog needs to be tested in the Spring to be sure they are still heartworm negative as giving heartworm preventative to a dog with existing heartworm infection can be deadly. That's why some owners choose to give meds year 'round. The extra months of meds comes out to about the same as re-testing the dog in the Spring.

Just look online about heartworm and the treatment required to cure it. And then if you live near ANY water, see mosquitoes, go camping, ... think about it seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area