U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 AM

82 posts, read 166,181 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I poured over this board when I was moving, so I thought in return for all the great information, I would pass on some of my thoughts now that we've lived here for six months.

The biggest complaints I hear are unemployment, crime, drugs, housing, wind, lack of activities and culture.

First, I'll tell you that we had three days to find a house due to how fast my husband's company moved us here. We had no problem finding housing. We ended up in Spanish Springs, near the high school. It is very affordable here, but far out for us from work and activites so we'll be moving at the end of our lease. What we like about it is that the lot sizes are nice and big (we are on a 1/3 acre) and there are lots of areas to walk and play, it's safe and quite, it's just too far north. Any suggestions on areas like that in South Reno would be great.

Unemployment - (disclaimer: this is my observation, opinion and experience)

Nevada's unemployment is roughly 13%, however, remember that LV is rolled into that because they are in Nevada. In my experience, LV skews the data for the state. I had no issue finding a job immediately upon my arrival here and in my field/area I find there are plenty of jobs, but I have a college degree, valuable experience in my field and certifications. What I think I see is the people that are unemployed or underemployed are mostly construction and hotel workers and they're having a hard time finding jobs due to their limited experience and collapse of those paticular markets. (I'm sure that statement will ruffle some feathers)

Crime - I really do not see more crime than I have in other cities. It seems to be in poorer areas and/or downtown type areas, which in my experience is very typical of any city. I'm going to just put drugs into the same category because I would say the exact same thing.

Housing - yes there seem to be a lot of foreclosures, but that was the case when we moved from Seattle as well. The problem is macro to the US and not micro to Reno. However, I thought housing would be a lot less expensive here from what I was reading on various boards with the way that everyone spoke about it. I find that I will need to spend the same amount that you would have to now in our suburb of Seattle to meet our standards of living.

Wind/weather - ok the wind is annoying. Really annoying. It would make me move. I hear that I will welcome it in the summer, but I can only account for a couple months of enjoying it, so I find it annoying. It makes a nice warm day cold, a cold day colder and make fires very scary. I didn't realize that fires were such an issue here and they down right scare me.

Acitivies - I have not seen the lack of activities that people complain about. Our family finds plenty to be busy with! We take walks and enjoy the sun and dry weather, we go to many of the parks here, we are getting season passes to Wild Island for the summer, there's Tahoe, the Discovery Museum and then all of the activities in Reno. We just saw Man in the Mirror for a fraction of the cost that it would have been in Seattle and were super excited! There's a lot of great restaurants and things to try and enjoy. Most of the shows that go to the major cities come here, but for a fraction of the price. It's great!

Culture - there are a lot of white people here. I'll just say it. There's not a ton of culture to show different areas of ethninticity. But you're not far from areas that are like that, like San Fran.

One thing I didn't realized that I would miss when I moved her was good, quality news programs.

I hope this help everyone thinking of moving here!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 AM

843 posts, read 1,824,628 times
It's nice to hear opinions from someone with a different perspective. I think a lot of people here are complainers, you know how often people will complain much faster than they compliment.

I would recommend looking for houses ASAP. I'm not sure what price range your looking for but everything we looked at and liked was a short sale.. and so far we're on day 87 of waiting for the bank to approve the short sale. If you can convert your lease to month-month at the end.. that might be a good option. Main point is that you may find something you really like that's a short sale, and it could take a long long time..

Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 AM

Buying a house is not a good option for us because we don't know if Reno will be our permanant home right now.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 AM

843 posts, read 1,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofraininwa View Post
Buying a house is not a good option for us because we don't know if Reno will be our permanant home right now.
In that case, no worries..

Old 05-25-2012, 02:44 PM

59 posts, read 137,769 times
Nice to hear this great summary of the changes you experienced thus far. I live in Anacortes, WA (north of Seattle) and am looking at moving to South Reno area within 3-4 months. I contemplated moving to Truckee-Tahoe area, but find Reno better for us first and we may eventually end up in Tahoe. My wife and I are originally from central and southern california and want to bring our boys closer to the family and are ready to make the move south.

Was it an adjustment getting used to the lack of green landscapes all around which we have in WA? I live near the San Juan Islands and we get the brunt of Windstorm speeds that hit Western WA so I hope we will acclimate to the Reno windy weather without a problem.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 PM

Hi - dubdpt. I know exactly where Anacortes is. I used to be a coordinator for Trident Seafoods in Ballard and had to travel there frequently.

It is a little hard to get used to. Especially here in Spanish Springs. It's not nearly as pretty as south Reno. South Reno is much prettier in terms of greenery, mountains and landscape. I think if you stay in South Reno, Truckee, Tahoe or even Gardnerville area, that you'll be ok.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 PM

I also want to mention that one of the things that I love about Reno is the small town feel. Their sense of community and buy local attitude is wonderful and makes me happy and proud.
This is a great slide show I found from a UNR student.

Biggest Little Slide Show - YouTube

Old 05-26-2012, 09:55 AM

944 posts, read 1,441,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdpt View Post
Nice to hear this great summary of the changes you experienced thus far. I live in Anacortes, WA (north of Seattle) and am looking at moving to South Reno area within 3-4 months. I contemplated moving to Truckee-Tahoe area, but find Reno better for us first and we may eventually end up in Tahoe. My wife and I are originally from central and southern california and want to bring our boys closer to the family and are ready to make the move south.

Was it an adjustment getting used to the lack of green landscapes all around which we have in WA? I live near the San Juan Islands and we get the brunt of Windstorm speeds that hit Western WA so I hope we will acclimate to the Reno windy weather without a problem.

You should also check out carson city its smack in the middle of Tahoe and Reno very nice, affordable, very safe .

Old 05-26-2012, 09:18 PM

59 posts, read 137,769 times
Thanks for the follow-up replies. I recently visited Reno and Truckee a few weeks ago and was happy to see that the overall distance to drive from north to south reno was fairly short and easy. I am from San Diego and am used to a larger city, but have come to like a less population dense region. The entire area did not feel as desert-like as I expected, as there were trees throughout town and and the ability to live above tree-line if we reside near Galena Forest area. I actually want to live at a higher elevation than downtown reno and welcome greater snowfall.

Carson city is not an option for us as we want to stay closer to the airport for my wife's work and prefer the South Reno area.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:21 PM

I thought the same thing about living where we are. I thought it was such a short distance that it was no big deal compared to what we're used to in a larger city. But... you get spoiled quickly! I don't mind the distance, I just don't like the distance as far north as we are. If we were this far south, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area