U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:30 PM

21 posts, read 335,447 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a 23 year old, married, who currently resides in Monterey, CA. I am looking at possibilities to escape the high cost of food and apartments here.
My question is, what is the primary age of people in the sparks/reno area?
Are the towns a mix of retirement and working class?
Are there many people who are living there who are in their 20s and 30s?
What are the job opportunities like for recent college graduates with a B.S degree in accounting?
Also, if anyone has any personal knowledge of the average hourly wage for a retail supervisor in the area that would be helpful.

Its been so long since I have been there! Thanks for the input.

Last edited by scirocco22; 09-23-2007 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: split thread ...created new thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 06:53 PM

154 posts, read 901,239 times
Living In Northern Nevada (broken link)

Old 10-14-2007, 09:16 AM

228 posts, read 590,357 times
I would say accounting is a good bet- I have several friends who graduated with accounting degrees and all got good paying jobs off the bat (strong accounting program at UNR). Its a pretty portable degree regardless, but they are being paid well and enjoy the area.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:57 PM

12 posts, read 136,512 times
Well, i think Reno would be so different from Monterey... a change is always useful.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:40 AM

769 posts, read 2,005,504 times
I wanna know the answer to this too. I'm exactly the same age and I keep hearing the pay is low while the housing is expensive. Why is that? Is Reno a retirement place? Are there a lot of families in Reno? Why is the real estate so damn high?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:09 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,327,877 times
Real estate is so expensive because of people moving here from California and other places. However, it is slowly correcting itself.

Reno is not exactly perfect for the 20s, but it is not bad.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:54 AM

213 posts, read 442,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
Living In Northern Nevada (broken link)
Cost of Living
In a quick comparison to areas of comparable population, northern Nevada is right on par when it comes to cost of living. Reno-Sparks has consistently rated among the most affordable and "hottest" cities in the region.

I think I am going to have to disagree w/this. I work full-time and bring home just over $1500/mo...my rent and elec are between $1100-1200/mo. So, I either work two jobs or have a roommate. Just about everyone I know that lives here has a roommate, works two jobs or both. How does that make living here affordable?

Old 03-29-2008, 02:17 PM
LYF

4 posts, read 15,251 times
I do not think Reno has much to offer young adults in their 20s, besides sport bars/clubs and outdoor activities (e.g., mountain biking, skiing, and hiking). I am not into the previously mentioned activities, except hiking, so living here has not been much fun for me.
Personally, I like to shop, but Mall stores are limited and redundant and merchandise prices are high. There aren't any outlet malls in Reno with name brand stores. Also, Reno is quite small such that you can travel from the South to the North end within 20-25 minutes on the freeway. There aren't any amusement parks, beaches (except in Lake Tahoe), nice zoos, or diverse museums here (I am mostly familiar with the automobile museum and the downtown art museum, which I think is small. The two other museums that I am aware of primarily focus on Nevada culture and history, which is very much appreciated, but it would be nice to visit museums that offer more cultural/subject diversity, e.g. natural history, anatomy, medicine, science, etc.)

Old 04-04-2008, 01:16 AM

213 posts, read 442,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYF View Post
Also, Reno is quite small such that you can travel from the South to the North end within 20-25 minutes on the freeway.
I think the size of a town depends on where you have came or are coming from. I came from a small town in Oregon w/less than 30,000 ppl. For me, Reno offers a lot to do. I agree w/the shopping issue, there isn't much, IMO. Personally, I attend a lot of concerts either in Reno or drive the 2 hrs to Sac. So, that makes me a happy camper!

I think it's great that I can drive 20 minutes from the N.Valleys (where I live) and go to Frenchmans lake for the day or to camp. I can drive for 5-10 minutes and be off riding my ATV. Or drive down to Tahoe, VC and even Sac or San Fran for the day.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:59 AM

321 posts, read 689,881 times
I lived in Reno when I was 25 years old. I had a very cushy job as a retail manager meaning that the store was very easy to run and made about 37K that year. Another retail manager I knew out there made about 48K a year and his assistant made about $17 an hour. I guess it just depends on which company you work for.

I've only lived in bigger cities before Reno, so it took several months to get used to but when I did, I loved it. I made a lot of good friends out there in my age range but the problem with that was that they were mostly college students. In other words, they were not permanent Reno residents.

I've lived in California and Las Vegas as well. While I noticed that groceries were a little bit cheaper, I didn't find the housing to be all that significantly cheaper. My apartment was close to $800 a month for a one bedroom. I know that even in California, you can get a one bedroom apartment for about $1000 a month.

I really enjoyed living in Reno and regretted leaving for a long time. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area