Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:29 PM

50 posts, read 144,419 times

Advertisements

I know everybody on here gripes about the schools in Nevada, but which county do you believe has the strongest school district? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 04:31 PM

943 posts, read 1,843,771 times
I don't have kids but, I know Carson City does not have the best School District.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,361 times
Douglas would be my guess if for nothing other than demographics. That district covers many on the higher end of the earning scale and stretches to areas of S. Lake Tahoe. Douglas is also not nearly as big as Washoe. Washoe is a victim of way too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:19 PM

Thank you... do you know anything else about Washoe?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickersmuffin View Post
Thank you... do you know anything else about Washoe?
My DS graduated from a Washoe County High School (WCSD) in 2008 and my DD went to WCSD public schools for 1st to 3rd grade and from 4th to 7th grade she attended a charter school. The Charter is technically a WCSD school but it was far above the mainstream schools in its academic standards.

My overall impression of WCSD is not great, the district is huge and can't seem to hold onto a superintendant. Throughout my kid's school careers we saw a lot of administrators and teachers come and go. WCSD in my opinion can't seem to find a groove that works and so every few years they change things up. Then there are all the whining and moaning regarding budgets. Principals to the best of my knowledge are paid depending on the level of education they have not whether or not they are actually any good at their job.

We had some wonderful teachers through the years and some bad ones. I am now in Texas and I can really see the difference in the standards, seeing what I see here in TX I must say that NV has low standards. I have nothing to back this up with, this is just my observation as a parent. I can also say that the charter school my DD was in was excellent with a very high academic standard and little tolerance for behavioral issues, but they were allowed to not be tolerant, the same cannot be said for the average public school.

I think WCSD has to deal with a very mixed demographic and so much emphasis is put on bringing the low kids up to the mediocre bar that there are few resources remaining for the higher kids to actually be able to excel.
Education in general does not seem to be anyones priority at the state funding level and the over paid lackluster administrators moaning about lack of funding gets old really fast.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:10 PM

Thank you for the info. I grew up in New York, and I definitely see the difference in education here. I don't think students here are being prepared for college and life, but then again I also don't think as many students value education either. I'm not sure if these two factors feed off each other, but it's disheartening. I don't think I'll ever move back east, but if I ever have kids, I don't think I want them educated in this state. I do love living here, but I've heard California schools are going downhill too...

Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,964,896 times
We grew up in Illinois and NV is a disgrace when it comes to education. Our daughter started school in Washoe County and we ended up homeschooling after 3rd grade. The teachers just don't do their jobs, mostly because they get very poor training (local university graduates hundreds of them every year so the cycle just keeps perpetuating ...no new blood, they went to school in the system, get a teaching degree, teach the next genertion, rinse and repeat) and a lack of support or direction from admin. Admin is a revolving door, if you don't like the current principal just wait 2-3 years...they will move on. So most kids have 2-3 principals in grade school alone. Teachers last on average of 5 years before they leave the district, or find jobs in other fields. Upper admin is way top heavy. And they make fantastic salaries. Really? They haven't bought new text books for two cycles due to budget cuts but they still have the same number of administrators? They claimed to have eliminated positions in the "Green House" a few years ago. But if you look at the phone directory, the eliminated positions were just moved into newly created positions...making the same or more.
My husband taught high school in the district for a while. When he reached the top of the pay scale he was rewarded with a 0.5 FTE contract the next year. Superintendent didn't have to lay off any teachers, but a whole bunch chose to leave rather than work for peanuts with no benefits. While he taught, school police were regularly called to his classroom due to discipline problems, not the principal or dean (because they won't come when called), the school police.
I encourage anyone with kids in the school system in NV to compare their child's test scores on a national scale. When the teacher tells you they scored in the 90-something percentile, that is compared to other kids in NV. Monkeys can score in the 90-something percentile here!
If you have to have your kids in the school districts I would look for good charter schools (not all of them are good) or homeschool, taking advantage of the extracurricular sports or individual classes that fit your needs with the district...for free up to 3 classes or sports per year.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 AM

750 posts, read 1,064,690 times
Interesting. I have been doing a lot of research about the Washoe schools because I'm getting worried as we come closer to a possible relocation to Reno this summer as planned. I currently have kids in WI elementary schools, which are still considered good for national standards, so I believe. Well, as a parent, I have been extremely satisfied with it anyway.

So, based on parent reviews, test scores, local reputation, info from friends, etc, I gathered that the elementary schools near the Galena area and Caughlin Ranch in Reno in addition to the ones at Spanish Springs in Sparks are the best ones, now the questions I still wonder about after my research are (and would love some feedback): Are they good just for NV standards or are they also preparing students to achieve decent national standards?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Interesting. I have been doing a lot of research about the Washoe schools because I'm getting worried as we come closer to a possible relocation to Reno this summer as planned. I currently have kids in WI elementary schools, which are still considered good for national standards, so I believe. Well, as a parent, I have been extremely satisfied with it anyway.

So, based on parent reviews, test scores, local reputation, info from friends, etc, I gathered that the elementary schools near the Galena area and Caughlin Ranch in Reno in addition to the ones at Spanish Springs in Sparks are the best ones, now the questions I still wonder about after my research are (and would love some feedback): Are they good just for NV standards or are they also preparing students to achieve decent national standards?
I don't know the answer to this one. If I recall correctly the state standardized test scores show where your tester sits in relation to other students but I cannot recall if that was based on county, state or national.

I do know two things:
Coral Academy of Science Charter School is the best elementary through high school in the area but its small and does not have the offerings of the bigger schools which mainly comes into play in Jr/Sr high.

My DS along with his classmates who graduated in the top 10% of their class WERE NOT prepared for college by any means. Of the handful that actually went to a 4 yr. Univ only a few have actually finished and graduated. Some of the high schools such as Galena and Manogue have higher success rates but they also have a high economic demographic to get those kids to college.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:58 AM

750 posts, read 1,064,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I don't know the answer to this one. If I recall correctly the state standardized test scores show where your tester sits in relation to other students but I cannot recall if that was based on county, state or national.

I do know two things:
Coral Academy of Science Charter School is the best elementary through high school in the area but its small and does not have the offerings of the bigger schools which mainly comes into play in Jr/Sr high.

My DS along with his classmates who graduated in the top 10% of their class WERE NOT prepared for college by any means. Of the handful that actually went to a 4 yr. Univ only a few have actually finished and graduated. Some of the high schools such as Galena and Manogue have higher success rates but they also have a high economic demographic to get those kids to college.
Seems like the answer is more likely "good for NV standards". I was told Coral Charter has a perception of being good but they are no more successful in getting kids to college than the "good" standard public schools I mentioned in the previous post, plus, like you said, there is the issue of the lack of other offerings. A Good School has a different definition depending on individual priorities, but for me, success rate to college enrollment is critical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area