U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,173,725 times

Advertisements

I possibly have a new job in central Reno. We are a middle-class couple from Sacramento.
Reno seems pretty spread out. What are the nicer areas? What areas to avoid?
Are there any mountain communities nearby to recommend? I dont mind 30 mins for a commute or slightly more if the place is nice. Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM

30 posts, read 92,739 times
Anything in Northwest Reno (old money) is considered the best- look for something around Westergaard Elementary School. South Reno (new money) like Damonte Ranch or Diamond Diamond area is also good. Verdi Nevada is a small town about 10 mins from downtown Reno, but it is higher up in the mountains- very close to the California border, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Spanish Springs is also a good area, but not as good as Northwest Reno or South Reno.

Stay away from anything with a "Valley" in the name. Sun Valley, Lemon Valley, Golden Valley. Sparks and downtown Reno are the least desirable places to live. Anywhere near the University of Nevada Reno is extremely noisy and filled with college kids.

So in short... stay West or South of Reno! As for towns outside of Reno, you are only 30 minutes away from Incline Village (at Lake Tahoe), but the drive up/down Mount Rose hwy can be very stressful if you don't have 4 wheel drive. I wouldn't live up there if your job in Reno isn't flexible with hours because the hwy does close down frequently in the winter. If you love skiing, hiking, biking, and outdoor recreation: Incline is the place for you, but you need good money to live there.

About 30 minutes in the other direction is Virginia City- a touristy old West town nestled in the mountains around 6200 feet. The homes are all Victorian style.. and the views are amazing. Almost every guy has a beard there...and I would describe it as a fun biker town. The community is tight knit, proud, and they have a lot of festivals year round. If you are more into hunting, 4 wheeling, drinking, then this is your type of town.

You'll find that Reno overall is a good medium sized city with a lot to offer. It's centrally located to so many things! It will be a big change from Sacramento though. There aren't nearly as many restaurants or stores to choose from, but it is still manageable. You are moving at a good time! Home prices are dirt cheap and there are tons of vacant apartments. Unemployment is so high there, that you can find a lot of good deals on just about anything you are looking for! People are selling furniture, cars, and other stuff at rock bottom prices. Good luck on your move!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetenigma View Post
Anything in Northwest Reno (old money) is considered the best- look for something around Westergaard Elementary School. South Reno (new money) like Damonte Ranch or Diamond Diamond area is also good. Verdi Nevada is a small town about 10 mins from downtown Reno, but it is higher up in the mountains- very close to the California border, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Spanish Springs is also a good area, but not as good as Northwest Reno or South Reno.

Stay away from anything with a "Valley" in the name. Sun Valley, Lemon Valley, Golden Valley. Sparks and downtown Reno are the least desirable places to live. Anywhere near the University of Nevada Reno is extremely noisy and filled with college kids.

So in short... stay West or South of Reno! As for towns outside of Reno, you are only 30 minutes away from Incline Village (at Lake Tahoe), but the drive up/down Mount Rose hwy can be very stressful if you don't have 4 wheel drive. I wouldn't live up there if your job in Reno isn't flexible with hours because the hwy does close down frequently in the winter. If you love skiing, hiking, biking, and outdoor recreation: Incline is the place for you, but you need good money to live there.

About 30 minutes in the other direction is Virginia City- a touristy old West town nestled in the mountains around 6200 feet. The homes are all Victorian style.. and the views are amazing. Almost every guy has a beard there...and I would describe it as a fun biker town. The community is tight knit, proud, and they have a lot of festivals year round. If you are more into hunting, 4 wheeling, drinking, then this is your type of town.

You'll find that Reno overall is a good medium sized city with a lot to offer. It's centrally located to so many things! It will be a big change from Sacramento though. There aren't nearly as many restaurants or stores to choose from, but it is still manageable. You are moving at a good time! Home prices are dirt cheap and there are tons of vacant apartments. Unemployment is so high there, that you can find a lot of good deals on just about anything you are looking for! People are selling furniture, cars, and other stuff at rock bottom prices. Good luck on your move!
Many thanks, Enigma. Well, I dont have the job yet! But odds are I will get it so Im looking in advance. Im from New England originally. I can actually drive to work in blizzards, used to do that all the time.
I wouldnt care to live in any high-crime type places. We can afford a decent home, but we're not rich either. A place like Verdi would be terrific..Tahoe and Truckee might be too far.
Ive read there is no income tax in NV so staying on the NV side would be a plus.
I'd like access to a gym/sports club with a pool also like the ones we have here.
Ive been to Virginia City many times; very fun place...not sure about staying there.
My interview is next week!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:49 PM

30 posts, read 92,739 times
Good luck on your interview! Verdi is considered the farthest of the Northwest Reno suburbs. It is 5-6 minutes away from a 24 hour fitness (a whirlpool but no pool there!) Pools are kind of hard to find in Reno! heh! There are only 4 that I know of listed here: Reno Public Swimming Pools - Public swimming pools in Reno and Sparks, Nevada, NV

If you are worried about crime just stay away from Downtown, Sparks and the Valleys... but I think I've been ripped off and harassed more in Sac on trips than I ever have in Reno! lol Anyways, My friend lived in Verdi for about 8 years, and she loved it there. It is remote enough to completely forget about Reno.. but close enough to get everything you may need.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:02 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,339,792 times
If you're looking for a mountain community look at Galena Forest up mount rose highway. It is a beautiful area in the mountains, but still close to everything in Reno.

I'm also from Sacramento, and here are my best comparisons of Reno neighborhoods to Sacramento neighborhoods:

Old SW Reno is similar to Land Park/Curtis Park.
Galena/South Reno area is similar to El Dorado Hills
Spanish Springs similar to Lincoln
Sparks is similar to Roseville
Northwest is similar to Folsom
SW similar to Carmichael/Fair Oaks

Obviously there are differences, but it helps give an idea of what each area is like. But if you like the mountains I would definitely recommend going up Mt Rose hwy, or possibly Truckee but that commute wouldn't be fun in the winter.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:54 PM

82 posts, read 167,399 times
If we made more, there are a lot of places I would prefer to live. We are middle-income too and I am constantly surprised by how much houses still cost here for being such a depressed market. To live where we would want to live with house size, etc. We would easily pay 300K + (ephasis on plus). Something to think about...

Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,789,644 times
Wow, there is a job in Reno
I disagree with avoiding Sparks. Its not for everyone but its certainly not bad.
I prefer the Old NW and the Old Southwest myself.
Housing prices have come down so much that many of those neighborhoods that were frankly out of reach for most locals are now very reachable. It will be intersting to see how that changes the face of the "good" neighborhoods.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:09 PM

Yes, I have an interview in Reno for a tech-support type position. Some companies are re-locating to Nevada for tax advantages.
I did a quick scan and I see call-center type openings and warehousing. So its not all doom and gloom in
the USofA.
As a previous poster stated, it's a good time to buy a home, if you can afford it. Even in Reno!
@Mamacat: The jobs are there, if you need one! Cheers, AB.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:07 PM

89 posts, read 186,520 times
People should not be so quick to dismiss Sparks. Anything in 89434 or 89436 is going to be pretty decent. 89431 is probably the one to avoid.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:16 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,789,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Yes, I have an interview in Reno for a tech-support type position. Some companies are re-locating to Nevada for tax advantages.
I did a quick scan and I see call-center type openings and warehousing. So its not all doom and gloom in
the USofA.
As a previous poster stated, it's a good time to buy a home, if you can afford it. Even in Reno!
@Mamacat: The jobs are there, if you need one! Cheers, AB.
No thanks Aquaboy, after 20 years we just recently left due to lack of employment opportunities for DH who is a software engineer and myself an accountant. My company relocated to Central Texas and we decided to take the opportunity and move on.

Call centers and warehousing are low wages. Employers are taking advantage of the high unemployment and offering much lower wages than has been the norm. Sure for someone entering the market it's not that big a deal but for someone with a mortgage that is now severly underwater and a price tag that was supported by higher wages the jobs available are not a relief.

I personally do not believe the Reno market (housing) has bottomed out, I feel the worse is still yet to come. 2013 should prove to be interesting if the state laws making foreclosures difficult are allowed to expire at the end of 2012 as they are currently slated to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area