U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,456 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm new here but I may be moving to Reno to take a job with the VA. I have only been to the Tahoe area once so I'm pretty green. I'm from CT. Spent most of my life here but 4 years in Boston. Moving from this state as it's going downhill fast with taxes, gas, no jobs. Most peolple think CT isan affluent stat but the truth is only a very few towns hold it up and the rest of us pay for it. I need a place to live in a good area - surburban, condo or house. I have 2 dogs 30 lbs and 18 lbs. I would like a peaceful area where I can walk. But mostly safe and peaceful preferably with a garage and a small land area for the dogs. They are house dogs but like to sit outside. I have no idea what rents are there. Budget is up to 1500.00. Probably a condo is best.

I've read about the wind - is it that bad?

Hoe are winters with snow?

Thanks so much for any help.

Also, is Reno dog friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 06:08 AM

843 posts, read 1,833,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffrick1 View Post
Hi All,

I'm new here but I may be moving to Reno to take a job with the VA. I have only been to the Tahoe area once so I'm pretty green. I'm from CT. Spent most of my life here but 4 years in Boston. Moving from this state as it's going downhill fast with taxes, gas, no jobs. Most peolple think CT isan affluent stat but the truth is only a very few towns hold it up and the rest of us pay for it. I need a place to live in a good area - surburban, condo or house. I have 2 dogs 30 lbs and 18 lbs. I would like a peaceful area where I can walk. But mostly safe and peaceful preferably with a garage and a small land area for the dogs. They are house dogs but like to sit outside. I have no idea what rents are there. Budget is up to 1500.00. Probably a condo is best.

I've read about the wind - is it that bad?
Not as far as I can tell. The wind is worse where I'm currently at (Canton Ohio).. by a lot. I think overall it's generally breezy with some gusty winds, but that's very handy when it's hot and dry.
Quote:
Hoe are winters with snow?
This should help: Snowfall - Average Total In Inches Bear in mind that it's clear, dry and reasonably high altitude. Most of the snow that falls to the ground should go away fairly quick. They don't salt the roads so that says something (either it doesn't snow all that much or they don't care ;-)

Quote:
Thanks so much for any help.

Also, is Reno dog friendly?
We spent a week out there and it seems that lost of places are dog friendly. There are dog parks official and otherwise. Up around the northwest (where we're buying) we saw a lot of people walking dogs.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 PM

9 posts, read 13,762 times
We are living in the North Valleys area, in the vicinity of the Lemmon Drive exit. We're renting now in a very nice apartment complex (which has several miles of paved walking trails - dog friendly). The apartment building is part of a larger housing development and we've put an offer in on a house in this area (short sale, so it will take awhile), because we're so happy here. We're about 10-15 minutes from downtown Reno (in light traffic, we're retired so we don't 'commute'). There is shopping, banks, post office, hair salons, doctors & dentists, even a great vet -- all within 2 miles of our neighborhood. Long story short: when we decided to move here we had our eye on Sparks or the old Northwest part of Reno; however, we're very very glad we checked out the North Valleys area, as it has the feel of a small town, minutes from the Reno-Sparks activity. The Arboretum (near UNR) also has a dog-friendly area and I'm sure there are others. People here are some of the friendliest I've ever encountered (and I've lived in 3 other states and 2 Canadian provinces). We love the "breeze" -- we only run the air conditioning on really hot days, and then only until the sun sets -- evenings cool down beautifully (none of that 'back east swelter' at night). We do run up to Lake Tahoe every once in awhile (on weekdays during summer to avoid the week-enders) - a lovely place to spend a day, and less than an hour away. We made the move from the mid-Atlantic area early in June, so haven't experienced a winter here yet, but everything I've heard indicates that it's nothing like what we were used to back east. Spring and fall are both great times of year - this summer has been a little on the hot side, but I'm told by long-time locals that it's been unusually hot and it's usually a little less so. Still, the sun is hot and at this higher altitude we live by the water-bottle, sun-screen, and body lotion. We love it here -- good luck with your move -- and welcome, from one newcomer to another. eta: Rents in this complex vary depending on unit size -- we're in the mid-range -- with cats -- paying around 750. That's 2br/2ba. They also have smaller and larger units - all under 1k a month. The Reno-Sparks area varies a lot on rents, there are some small houses available for around 1k or so a month (foreclosures that were bought by investors) -- there are condos downtown that will run much much more. I'd recommend coming out a few times, getting to know a few neighborhoods and find a good realtor that will show you around. Also a great way to 'see the town' when unfamiliar is taking various bus-lines from one end to the other -- you don't have to know where you're driving, and you can take in a lot of area to get a feel for it all. There's a great bus system here.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:14 PM

250 posts, read 647,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzit View Post
We are living in the North Valleys area, in the vicinity of the Lemmon Drive exit. We're renting now in a very nice apartment complex (which has several miles of paved walking trails - dog friendly). The apartment building is part of a larger housing development and we've put an offer in on a house in this area (short sale, so it will take awhile), because we're so happy here. We're about 10-15 minutes from downtown Reno (in light traffic, we're retired so we don't 'commute'). There is shopping, banks, post office, hair salons, doctors & dentists, even a great vet -- all within 2 miles of our neighborhood. Long story short: when we decided to move here we had our eye on Sparks or the old Northwest part of Reno; however, we're very very glad we checked out the North Valleys area, as it has the feel of a small town, minutes from the Reno-Sparks activity. The Arboretum (near UNR) also has a dog-friendly area and I'm sure there are others. People here are some of the friendliest I've ever encountered (and I've lived in 3 other states and 2 Canadian provinces). We love the "breeze" -- we only run the air conditioning on really hot days, and then only until the sun sets -- evenings cool down beautifully (none of that 'back east swelter' at night). We do run up to Lake Tahoe every once in awhile (on weekdays during summer to avoid the week-enders) - a lovely place to spend a day, and less than an hour away. We made the move from the mid-Atlantic area early in June, so haven't experienced a winter here yet, but everything I've heard indicates that it's nothing like what we were used to back east. Spring and fall are both great times of year - this summer has been a little on the hot side, but I'm told by long-time locals that it's been unusually hot and it's usually a little less so. Still, the sun is hot and at this higher altitude we live by the water-bottle, sun-screen, and body lotion. We love it here -- good luck with your move -- and welcome, from one newcomer to another. eta: Rents in this complex vary depending on unit size -- we're in the mid-range -- with cats -- paying around 750. That's 2br/2ba. They also have smaller and larger units - all under 1k a month. The Reno-Sparks area varies a lot on rents, there are some small houses available for around 1k or so a month (foreclosures that were bought by investors) -- there are condos downtown that will run much much more. I'd recommend coming out a few times, getting to know a few neighborhoods and find a good realtor that will show you around. Also a great way to 'see the town' when unfamiliar is taking various bus-lines from one end to the other -- you don't have to know where you're driving, and you can take in a lot of area to get a feel for it all. There's a great bus system here.
Excellent post. Thanks for the in
formation you shared and particularly about taking a bus to sit back and check out the neighborhoods.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:14 AM

11,456 posts, read 12,708,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzit View Post
What is the name of the complex you are in? We are moving in August and looking for a place until we buy.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:54 AM

4,575 posts, read 9,613,897 times
Take 395 N to Lemmon Valley exit East. At the first light go left on Sky Vista Pkwy past Smiths, and Walmart. When you get to the main entrance of North Valley's sports park there's a stop sign, and some nice apartments on the left as you turn onto Silver Lake Road. A lot of people talk smack about North Valley's, but are usually the people you want to get away from anyway. There's another complex on Silver Lake between Stead, and Red Rock that looks okay. Keep in mind I just drive by these places, but they surely aren't ghetto like the older stuff near town.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 PM

981 posts, read 1,347,439 times
I like the north valleys just fine too. However, remember to consider the commute if you have to go into downtown Reno or south Reno via 395/I80. I have a co-worker who lives in Stead and on an average day it takes her 20-30 minutes to commute. At least once per month it takes her much longer. One day she was an hour late for work. If someone piles up in the spaghetti bowl area it can be impossible to get off the freeway for alternate routes. The alternate routes only doubles her drive time. Being stuck on the freeway at a dead stop takes however long it takes for the road to be cleared.

And in the same vein, though not as frequently piled up, driving from the south if you work downtown or north...the evening drive backs up around Moana until you pass Mill going north.

Part of the joy of living here is the ability to have a short commute if you plan correctly, because there is plenty of good housing in all areas. And if you live here you might as well create the most free time you can because there are endless possibilities of how to enjoy your life here.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,771 times
I moved here almost 2 years ago from LA. Recently bought a house in Caughlin Ranch, and no I am not rich, just a blue collar guy, the housing here is ripe for the picking. The schools here are really good, compared to LA, and of course at the end of the day it matter's how much effort you put in. I have had zero issues with gangs or drugs, and I work at the airport, so am close to Sparks and go thru downtown almost daily. I like to go out a bit, and have never had an issue. Of course, coming from Los Angeles, I usually know if it's getting a little sketchy. I think Reno is a wonderfull place, My son is 6, and was skiing a couple of weeks ago, now gonna see if he is interested in golf. The weather does change that quick around here. Tahoe is close, Sacramento is 2 hrs away, and there they have every store/restaurant you can need ( Ikea, Frye's etc) I love the SW reno area, Caughlin Ranch Huffaker, Skyline, Damonte area's all have green tree's and seem to be more established areas. North and East is more desert, Beautiful but brown. I hope you enjoy your move, and welcome to Reno. Before I flew up here for my interview, etc. I was nervous as hell, It's Reno for God's Sake. It's not bad... :-)

Old 05-22-2013, 10:54 AM

281 posts, read 537,750 times
I would check out the old Southwest part of Reno. I think your budget would be fine there for a house if you want, they have older brick houses, beautiful tree lined streets, and it's not too far from the VA Hospital. Check out streets like Taylor, California, Arlington, Mt. Rose, and Plumas. It is near midtown which has some great shopping and coffee houses. Yes, Reno is very dog friendly. There are a couple of nice large dog parks and the regular parks all welcome dogs.

The wind is not any different than any other city that I know of...it can get more windy more often out in the North Valleys but in town it doesn't seem to. We will have days where it seems like it'll never stop and other days with no wind at all.

Good luck and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or