U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 PM

12 posts, read 15,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Again, learn to defend yourself, your family and your property. Expecting someone else to do that for you is cowardly at best, Police are under no obligation to protect you and quite frankly rarely ever stop crime.
Who said that? I said take responsibility for your own protection and defense. The Supreme Court has affirmed in case after case that Law Enforcement Officers are under NO OBLIGATION to protect you ( See DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services and Warren v. District of Columbia for just two rulings regarding this). That means it's up to you. If 'victims' fought back violent crime would nearly go away, and what does happen would be far less damaging.
What research?

You come in here making wild claims about an area you do not live and provide no sources. What do you expect?

braindead0 obviously has never been attacked from behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,736 times
What contributes to the crime rate anywhere? Why is it high in poor areas and low in rich areas? You answer that and you have your answer. The businesses and government in Reno do nothing to make it an easy place to live. The overall attitude from employers is that you will have to swallow what they are dishing out because they know you can't go anywhere else to get a better job if you live here. Good luck getting what would classically be considered a decent paying job, or a job with benefits and retirement. That would concern me more than the crime rate. There are so many opportunities to advertise this place as a mecca for business but the government does nothing to advertise it. We should be building an infrastructure that would be the envy of the country. We should be running ads in the Hurricane belt right now telling everyone how safe from natural disasters they would be if they lived here but we stick to ad campaigns like, "What Happens in Vegas..."
Living here and being happy here is based on your ability to compromise on what you want. If you like all the outdoor activities you speak of and don't require a decent job to do them, this is the place for you. Depending on where you are in this town, you can feel extremely safe or not at all. This also depends on the company you keep and your own personal habits. That is probably true anywhere.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:27 AM

93 posts, read 150,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaria.x View Post
What am I doing about it?
- Well, ever since my cape tore last year, it has hindered my ability to leap over tall buildings and fight crime.

Better yet, what are YOU doing about crime in Compton? Oakland? Detroit?
Because I don't live in Reno - so how could I possibly do anything about it?

What crime issue?
Do you live in a cave? Do you not read the paper? Watch the Reno news? Read crime stats? Reno has some of the highest crime in the nation - on par with Inglewood California. They have high theft, robbery, murder...they also have drive by's, gangs, and bank robberies.

Compared to....oh I don't know...anywhere!

And what do you mean take responsibility? There are lots of people who live in nice areas that get robbed all the time. And just the other day a man was walking to his car to go to work and he got robbed.

Why would YOU blame a victim of crime anyway instead of BLAMING the person committing the crime?

Anyway - I did some research and it seems like there really is no plan on fixing the bad crime / drug problem in Reno - sad.

Did you see the posters name? Nuff Said! If people plug in just to offer rude, snide comments, ask the mod to 'deter' them. Reno is OK, but Sparks is better. And there are some steps to take that will 'enhance' your issue of home security, such as (sorta) lost cost CCTV. The saying is that you almost need to know people to recognize them, and if you don't, theres a chance the police will, and even if they don't, I had a video of some two-bit punk girl stealing stuff off my porch after UPS had left it there. I didn't know her, but I called the police, gave them a look at the video, and they busted her about two weeks later. Looks like they knew her well! HAH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area