Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 05:27 PM

17 posts, read 66,267 times

Advertisements

Are there any special things that one should do to prepare a car to be in Reno vs The Bay Area? IE, oil for cold weather?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 PM

38 posts, read 200,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpdx View Post
Are there any special things that one should do to prepare a car to be in Reno vs The Bay Area? IE, oil for cold weather?

Thanks
I noticed that the initial registration is more. As well as Insurance.

As for weatherizing your car, it will probably depend on what part of NV you live in. As I recall last winter in the Bay Area, it was below freezing a number of times in the morning. I'd let the car warm up longer than normal, bring a pitcher of cold water out with me, little things like that. I'd assume that would be the same during the winter in NV.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 AM

66 posts, read 110,852 times
I know I posted yesterday, but it disappeared.
a short warmup and drive easy for a couple of minutes
make sure your car has multiviscosity oil in it.
Make sure your antifreeze is up todate.
Get a tune up in Reno for altitude
If your battery is over two years old, replace it, it will not signal its death, it just won't work.
Not sure what the pitcher of cold water is for, but I advise strongly against pouring water over an icy windshield, nothing says sadness quite as strongly as a shattered windshield.
Tires that are actual snow tires, that say M&S on them are handy, snow tires with studs can be handy depending on where you are driving.

The days you will need them are limited, but, I can tell you a few times a year in the early morning on an uphill street you will see two wheel drive cars scattered about unable to get up the hill.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:56 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,847 times
No no no water on the windshield nor in the radiator, if you ice on your windshield get a good windshield scraper but if it's only for a few times a year I suggest a good credit card works very well for scrapping the ice heck for that matter it could be a bad credit card. the idea is that they are thin and hard to bend they work great on windshields. If you have a crack in your windshield you can guarantee that it will spread if you put water on the windshield when it frozen out side.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,847 times
And be sure not to leave an unopened soda in your car when it freezes outside, it will blow up and you will have nasty sugary spots all over the inside. Based on experience.

Last edited by Tressa; 10-12-2007 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-12-2007, 02:18 PM

Oh, and don't forget to make sure your AC works well, and run it every two weeks in the winter to keep the seals lubricated.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
And be sure not to leave an unopened soda in your car when it freezes outside, it will blow up and you will have nasty sugary spots all over the inside. Based on experience.

Thanks for the advice! I would not want a sticky car, gee, that would be a real pain to clean!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:15 PM

I've got a mechanic here in the city that is going to check things over for me, change the spark plugs, serpentine belt, ect. I've never heard of putting water on a frozen windshield.

Thanks for the advice

Old 10-12-2007, 03:50 PM

Timing will be different at altitude, a tad more retarded I think.

A story, brother and friends were out drinking beer on a cold night, windshield froze, no water in the washer fluid (oh make sure you put fluid in, not water) So they had had a few beers, climbed onto the hood and used natures products to defrost the windshield. I myself once found my car door lock frozen, again used beer did the trick

Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM

104 posts, read 485,961 times
Not to purposely disagree with Jose, but modern computer-controlled vehicles automatically compensate for the change in altitude. You probably only have to worry about tuning your car up if it's carbureted or is due for scheduled maintenance.

Otherwise you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area