U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 PM

8 posts, read 26,412 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Los Angeles, California and hate the punitive state income tax rate of California.

My source of income is through investment income so I don't need to find a job if I move to reno.

I don't have a car and use a bicycle for transportation year round.

On google maps I see there are many bike lanes all over Reno, and also my favorite store REI is in reno. I also found a couple of good bike shops too.

My only concern is how cold it gets. I am a frugal person and don't like to use a heater or a/c. Can I get by without using a heater in the winter? los angeles winter gets to the 30s and i just put gloves, sweaters, and socks on with no problems.

I read from the reno bike shops websites that year round bike commuting is doable and I accept that challenge.

I'm gonna take amtrak in a week or two from los angeles to reno to see how cold the winter is and check out a few apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 05:39 AM

750 posts, read 919,791 times
Reno just recently, I think about 2 years ago, received the bicycle friendly bronze designation from the League of American Bicyclists, which is to say their lowest level of recognition. That means the city is becoming more bike friendly but just not big on it yet. I think LA has the same level of recognition.

I'm also gathering information about Reno due to a possible relocation in the summer, but from what I heard the winters there are not too bad, and being in the Midwest right now, it looks like winters in Reno would be no shock for us. I was really under the impression Reno got a lot of snow due to the proximity to the Sierras, which would prevent ridding a bike in the winter, but according to NOAA, the average snowfall there is only about 23 inches per season. That's a lot less than what we have in southern WI and more compatible with the lower Midwest.

I bet you are going to need a heater in your place in Reno. I suspect the winters there, just like here in Midwest, get occasional shots of frigid air that would plunge indoor temperature into unbearably low levels without a heater.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,656,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonentity View Post
I currently live in Los Angeles, California and hate the punitive state income tax rate of California.

The total tax burden difference between Nevada and CA is 2.4%, a negligible difference. Having fairly recently moved from Nevada to CA, we have not seen a difference in taxes of any substantial level.
My source of income is through investment income so I don't need to find a job if I move to reno.

I don't have a car and use a bicycle for transportation year round.

While biking does work well in Reno, winter is cold, streets can be icy. A bit bitter right now in Reno.

On google maps I see there are many bike lanes all over Reno, and also my favorite store REI is in reno. I also found a couple of good bike shops too.

My only concern is how cold it gets. I am a frugal person and don't like to use a heater or a/c. Can I get by without using a heater in the winter? los angeles winter gets to the 30s and i just put gloves, sweaters, and socks on with no problems.

Los Angeles gets down to the 30's at night for a few nights a year Some years ago Washoe County School District issued a regulation that if temps were below 10 degrees during the school day kids had inside recess. Should be a high of 39 today, that is warmer than yesterday. When the inversion sets in, tis a bit chilly, and if one is on a bike breathing.... well, the air can be a bit of a soup.

I read from the reno bike shops websites that year round bike commuting is doable and I accept that challenge.

I'm gonna take amtrak in a week or two from los angeles to reno to see how cold the winter is and check out a few apartments. Pay a little more, and get business class, far more comfortable than the cheap seats on Amtrak. I would fly, that is a very long train trip.

If you like REI I would assume that you like to visit wildlands. Reno is one of the finest towns in the country for outdoors people, with the Sierra and Tahoe to the West, and Nevada to the East. Not having a car, limits your ability to access that land, and that is a bit of a tragedy, to live so close to great geography and not being able to access it.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM

4,575 posts, read 9,640,895 times
You will enjoy the scenery of the train ride. It is colder here than California period. I live 20 miles North at 5100' and we've had snow on the ground since 12/22. Yesterday was 0, and Today it warmed up to 8 degrees for our low. It is warmer in Reno proper at 4500' though. It usually feels reasonably comfortable if the sun is shining. Personally, I think you would love it here. Most things are cheaper, and you will pay no state tax!
Post up your thoughts after your visit.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 AM

3,681 posts, read 13,160,311 times
Quote:
. . . and also my favorite store REI is in reno. I also found a couple of good bike shops too.
If you like REI, you'll like Cabelas Cabela's: Store Information - Reno, NV and Scheels sporting goods in Sparks Scheels Sporting Goods | Legends at Sparks Marina | 1455 E. Lincoln Way Sparks, Nevada 89431 | 775.331.2700

Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
To me, Rei and Cabelas have diffetent crowds... I like REI a lot more.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM

2,203 posts, read 2,977,363 times
i spent this last weekend in reno - down to single digits at night, highs of low to mid 20's. the road were clear, but each morning there was some kind of snow on the vehicles (anywhere from a dusting to 4 inches).

i can't imagine living in reno WITHOUT turning on the heater.....

Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,656,358 times
Quote:
Most things are cheaper, and you will pay no state tax!
I have not found "most things are cheaper" to be accurate. Try to find good fruit! All vegies and fruit are trucked in from out of state.

Yes, you will pay state tax, total tax burden in Nevada is 8.2% and in California it is 10.6%, a difference of 2.4%. A negligible difference.

Tax freedom day in Nevada is April 18, in California it is April 20th a difference of 1/182.5. Those who think they will save on taxes by moving to Nevada have not done their homework.

There are good reasons to live in Nevada, it truly is America's Last Best Place, subtracting the Reno/Sparks/Carson/Minden/Gardnerville megalopolis and the Las Vegas Metro out of the state, they may as well be in California.

The problem for you, without a car, is getting to the great places. Even a car is not what you want, but a good 4x4 and a lot of common sense.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 PM

8 posts, read 26,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

Yes, you will pay state tax, total tax burden in Nevada is 8.2% and in California it is 10.6%, a difference of 2.4%. A negligible difference.

Tax freedom day in Nevada is April 18, in California it is April 20th a difference of 1/182.5. Those who think they will save on taxes by moving to Nevada have not done their homework.
Can you explain this further how living in Nevada I will still pay 8.2% state income taxes?

Everything I read on the internet says Nevada has no state income taxes.

Living in California I am paying 10 percent of my income to the state.

Can't I save 10 percent of my income moving to Nevada?

Does Nevada tax dividend or capital gain income?

Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I have not found "most things are cheaper" to be accurate. Try to find good fruit! All vegies and fruit are trucked in from out of state.

There are good reasons to live in Nevada, it truly is America's Last Best Place, subtracting the Reno/Sparks/Carson/Minden/Gardnerville megalopolis and the Las Vegas Metro out of the state, they may as well be in California.

The problem for you, without a car, is getting to the great places. Even a car is not what you want, but a good 4x4 and a lot of common sense.
Quote:
Can you explain this further how living in Nevada I will still pay 8.2% state income taxes?

Everything I read on the internet says Nevada has no state income taxes.

Living in California I am paying 10 percent of my income to the state.

Can't I save 10 percent of my income moving to Nevada?

Does Nevada tax dividend or capital gain income?
The Tax Foundation compiles data comparing the overall taxes that state residents pay as a percentage of per capita income (the so-called total tax burden), including local taxes such as property taxes and sales taxes in addition to state income taxes where applicable. nonentity, you will not pay state income tax in NV unlike in CA, but often states compensate that loss with higher taxes in other sectors.

Still, NV does have one of the lowest tax burdens in the whole nation (see attached figure) and I will have to disagree with highnlite that the difference with CA is negligible, which is hardly the case (the white states in the map represent the top 10 with the lowest tax burden while the blue represent the ones with the highest taxes!, NV is white CA is blue!). According to the latest data from the Tax Foundation, CA ranks #4 among the 50 states with the highest tax burden per capita while NV is #42 placing it among the states with the lowest tax burdens overall. The difference of 3% between CA and NV seems low but it is a lot considering the percentage of everyone's income that end up going to government in taxes. Notice that the difference between the #1 with the highest taxes (NY) and the last one with the lowest tax burden (#50, AK) is "just 5.8%", which again, is not a large number, but translate in huge tax savings for those who live in Alaska compared to New York.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or