U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM

6 posts, read 6,065 times

Advertisements

Okay, so it's important to preface this post with a big ole "I will visit before I move, we are in the early stages of planning and yes I'm currently reading other posts in this forum" I've had a gypsy heart for years now, and have considered places scattered about the US. I've seriously considered parts of the PNW (around the Sequim area of Washington) and Asheville, NC (visited it.. thank GOD.. because I was sorely disappointed). The only reason I gave up on Sequim is the lack of any personal connections. I have one set of friends there, but nothing concrete. We don't have anyone in Reno, but the to be FIL travels there monthly for work (he's located in Las Vegas)

A little about us. This move would not be something immediate. It will more than likely be a good year or so before we are even in a position to attempt to move. I'm 28, the fiance is 35. I'm a graphic designer (no degree) and have worked as a retail manager for years before as well. I also do freelance photography and marketing. He is currently in nursing school and hoping to become an LPN before we make the move. He has many years as a backroom coordinator for a major retailer under his belt too. My son is 8 (as of this post) and has Asperger's syndrome as well as ADHD. He is enrolled in school online right now, and unless I find a great school that can cater to us and his needs that isn't private, that will always be my first option for him as long as scheduling allows. I attend a non-denominational Christian church, and hope that I could find one there that is a good fit as well. We have very little money right now (hense the wait) but we will not move without at least his securing a job. Once there, I still don't expect to be on the high end of the payscale.. but we're okay with that as long as we can be somewhere comfortable and reasonably "safe".

Weather: I can cover up before I can take stuff off. In my area of GA, "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute" stands. I want to be somewhere with colder temps in the winter and at least a potential for snow. With that said, a break from frigid conditions for a few months will be nice as well.

About what we want: He's not picky, and I'm easy to please, but there is a certain "vibe" I look for. I'm used to depressed areas, coming from the extremely poor regions of the south; so that's not something that would "shock" me-- but I'd like to get out and "live". I'm in the process of losing weight/getting healthy so I hope to be able to take advantage of the outdoors once we are there. I like going to the farmer's market, I've started to meddle about with gardening (but I can live without it), I'm a huge crafter and enjoy arts and whatnots. My son isn't an outdoorsman at all... so it's nice to have places to take him that isn't a park. Community theater or family friendly activities would be nice. We tend to take advantage of free things (like the Planetarium at the university, farmer's markets, free festivals, etc).

First Impressions: Fiance is from cali, so he's very west coast. I've got a thick southern accent and you can tell I was born and raised on cornbread and biscuits My son has his own beat, and isn't very social... but we're working on that. He's placed Upward soccer for a few years and liked it, and has expressed an interest in martial arts. We're both pretty introverted, but would like to really put down roots and get to know people once there.. so I'm just looking for insight into the welcoming committee.

From what I gather, overall, Reno is "safe" and it's not like some places where if you cross the train tracks you are in a part of town you do not want to find yourself. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I'm also looking for insights on particular schools that may work for my son, job opportunities/outlook for someone like me (not really worried about the fiance finding a job)... etc.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 09:21 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,666,539 times
A couple of notes

The vegies in the farmers markets come mostly from CA, (Cali is a town in Colombia)
Gardening in Reno is an act of faith, the climate is just not conducive to gardening.
The dryness of the air compared to Georgia will result in nose bleeds, for a while.
The lack of humidity is just plain great.
My mother moved from Atlanta to the coast of CA in 1947, for many years she has refused to visit her relatives in Georgia in the summer, she done got spoiled.
If you are a town person Reno is fine, much like every other city.
Reno/Sparks has great public activities, from the Rib Cook Off (although they sauce their ribs there, not a western tradition) to the Italian festival, to arts stuff.

Schools in Reno vary in demographics, but with No Child Left Behind, they all pretty much suck. Schools in the suburbs of Reno and Sparks tend to do well, whether Bud Beasley, or Brown, just to name two on either end of town.

If you are a hiking, camping, sailing, jeeping sort of person, Reno is one of the great cities of America.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 AM

750 posts, read 920,683 times
Quality of schools is the one thing that worries my family about possible moving to Reno this summer. Too many people in city data saying schools there are not good but I got the feeling most are talking about NV as a whole and it doesn't appear to apply to the best schools of Reno. I saw 2 testimonials in a school review website of parents that left Reno suburbs to TX and FL expecting betters schools and were very disapointed. I think the schools in Reno, especialy the ones in the best rated suburbs, may be much better than what some information here implies.

Everything else is a perfect fit: affordable housing, dryer climate, four seasons, reasonable cost of living, and proximity to the sierras for outdoor entertainment.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 AM

the "School" is irrelevant, the Teacher is critical. But, remember, the school only has your kid for 6 hours, you have your kid for 18, their success or failure is up to you, not the school and not the teacher.

Stay away from any ranking based on test scores, the tests are multiple choice and only test the most basic forms of knowledge. Would you select a neurosurgeon based on how well the neurosurgeon did on a multiple choice test?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
the "School" is irrelevant, the Teacher is critical. But, remember, the school only has your kid for 6 hours, you have your kid for 18, their success or failure is up to you, not the school and not the teacher.

Stay away from any ranking based on test scores, the tests are multiple choice and only test the most basic forms of knowledge. Would you select a neurosurgeon based on how well the neurosurgeon did on a multiple choice test?
I would not say irrelevant. Yes, parents have great influence in "chance of success" of their kid, after all, I believe I fit that example, but it's not a rule IMO.

Chance of success has been measured with good research and NV is consistently placed in the bottom, way below average. We cannot say the reason for that is because parents in NV don't give good education, obviously the school is the major contributor.

http://www.edweek.org/media/ew/qc/20...essRelease.pdf

Now, I do think that some Reno burbs have some of the best schools in the state and that together with good parenting could certainly determine the kids ultimate fate and challenge the stats.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM

School districts with high numbers of low performing students, will always appear low on scales of averages. I don't find those rankings worth paying attention to. Take, district or school A. let us say that 40% of the students are on free or reduced lunch, that is a good indicator of low performing students. Yet in School or room X there are 20% AP competent students. Their education will be as good as can be gotten, if, they have good teachers. So my first sentence holds.

Now, lets go to two specific examples. My own kids. Daughter #1 went to 5th grade in one of the "better" schools in one of the "better" neighborhoods in Reno. We knew her teacher was not the best for that grade level, but, we were stuck. Daughter #1 transferred to Truckee Elementary and had to repeat the 5th grade as she was so far behind the Truckee students.

Another specific example, our local high school has a high percentage of field worker children including a high percentage of undocumented.

Daughter #2 aced the national AP calculus test (yes, 100 %) and got 4's in all other areas. The other AP students likewise did extremely well. Now, one could say the school was not a good school because the averages on the stupid rankings were brought down by the low performers, yet, the students at the upper end received an extremely good education.

By the way, Daughter #1 is upper division in Geology at U of H now, Daughter #2 got scholarships resulting in a free ride at Cal Poly in Anthropology/Geography, due to the quality of her High School education.

I think it is an absolute rule that parents are responsible for their children's success or lack of success.

Many parents in Nevada, whether poor or upper middle class are so busy with their lives and careers that they really don't do a good job of insuring their children's success.

Now, you may quibble, but, don't. My wife spent 22 years teaching in Washoe County School District in different schools and different programs. She, and by extension sitting across the table from her for 22 years knows the subject.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Many parents in Nevada, whether poor or upper middle class are so busy with their lives and careers that they really don't do a good job of insuring
I'm curious what makes you think many parents in other states are different?

The chance of suscess data I shared looked at the proportion of kids that were educated in each state and achieved not only college education but I think they also evaluated employment. NV came last. It's the data and can't be ignored. Your personal experince probably makes less than 0.1% of their sampling.

Having said all that, the poor scores and reputation of NV education will not prevent us to move there if we have the right opportunity. We will just need to be more diligent about our kids education.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 10,422 times
We moved here from Sacramento. It is beautiful here -- no doubt about it. People are friendly. As I understand it, there are some very good schools if you live in the right area for that.

There is a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Costco, etc. There is an ice skating rink, ski resorts nearby, and mountains all around. In summers people love to float down the Truckee river that goes right through town. Winters vary in temp -- cools off a lot at night but warms up during the day (relatively speaking). We were concerned about the cold, but it really has not been bad. We were surprised at how nice the days are and how comfortable we are (wearing coats, but still). The dry climate really makes a difference.

The housing inventory is practically non-existent. We are sad to say we are unable to find a reasonably priced house -- bidding wars and flippers are at it again. The AB 284 is largely behind this -- legislators really mucking things up. However, we found lots of rentals in nice areas.

We have been researching crime here and only see it in the northeast quadrant (defined by where 80 and 395/580 intersect). The south of Reno where we are is very safe, as is the northwest.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaimee View Post
The housing inventory is practically non-existent. We are sad to say we are unable to find a reasonably priced house -- bidding wars and flippers are at it again. The AB 284 is largely behind this -- legislators really mucking things up.
Really? Are you talking about a specific price range? Seems like there is a lot of single-family houses for sale when I tried a quick search online, but I have to admit I have not tried to narrow it down to what we would want because it's not time yet for that.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I'm curious what makes you think many parents in other states are different?

The chance of suscess data I shared looked at the proportion of kids that were educated in each state and achieved not only college education but I think they also evaluated employment. NV came last. It's the data and can't be ignored. Your personal experince probably makes less than 0.1% of their sampling.

Having said all that, the poor scores and reputation of NV education will not prevent us to move there if we have the right opportunity. We will just need to be more diligent about our kids education.
Isn't this the second time where you read something into my post that I did not post? Why would you think that I would think parents in other states would be different? Please, for your own sake, when you read something, take the information presented as it stands.

There are sound reasons why Nevada does poorly, I recommend you re read what I wrote, as I said, the bottom drags the average.

Students from families that value education are as successful in Nevada as anywhere eles, My "personal experience" covers over 20, years and a wide range of schools in Reno/Sparks/Las Vegas.

Dismissing it is like dismissing a doctor with 20 years of medical experience, would you do that? No, you wouldn't, but because it is education, and the experience is that of a teacher, which is not considered a professional and subject to denigration by anyone with an axe to grind will attack, you feel comfortable in denigrating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area