Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM

750 posts, read 1,064,761 times

Advertisements

About Minot, coincidently I heard about it on NPR today. I personally would never live in a place like that unless given no choice. Because of the oil boom, the city has grown extremely quickly in the past recent years but still very small, less than 50K people. The newcomers there are being attracted by the job and money created by the oil drilling but the location is very remote in the central northern portion of North Dakota, very far from mountains and bitter cold winters. Minot has little, if any, resemblance to Reno.

Accordingly, the best burbs in Reno with the best schools are in the south and the northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM

139 posts, read 408,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno34 View Post
I've never been to Nevada. .
Glad you answered my question. My advise lol You need to see it to believe it or even consider coming here.

Truth is truth..... what I posted is what is reality in Reno/Sparks/Carson. and my news links prove its a fact.

I gave you a few links regarding the news so you can see for yourself what is's all about. Do I miss NY I travel their about every 4- 8 weeks .....

I don't know why you picked Reno out of the air to move to since you never been here or the state. IF anywhere in the state look into Tahoe.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 PM

9 posts, read 19,047 times
I picked Reno because it's one of the places that has a job that would pay decent and with a good reputation. Also the cost of living, no state income taxes, and as far from NY as possible! ha ha I do love NY but I'm done. I can't afford what I want. I am tired of paying so much money for a 900 SQ ft apt that would be peanuts anywhere else in the country. (except Cali I've heard) My wife prefers seasons so that was another reason. Also considering N. Carolina/Texas but depends on employment. No job then no move. Why did you pick it? Do you regret it? I saw some of the links but a lot of incidents like that happens in NY and it doesn't even make the news! Trust me I see it everyday. Now if I can't go to the local supermarket or Target without being harassed or if I don't feel safe in my own neighborhood then yea it's a problem. Actually someone is probably getting held up or car jacked as I type this I'm sure here in NY. It doesn't phase me. Does it actually affect your quality of life though? If it does then I understand. Something tells me you don't recommend I leave L.I. for the Reno area! LOL

@IndyKing....South and North West, got it thanks!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I picked Reno because it's one of the places that has a job that would pay decent and with a good reputation. Also the cost of living, no state income taxes, and as far from NY as possible! ha ha I do love NY but I'm done. I can't afford what I want. I am tired of paying so much money for a 900 SQ ft apt that would be peanuts anywhere else in the country. (except Cali I've heard) My wife prefers seasons so that was another reason. Also considering N. Carolina/Texas but depends on employment. No job then no move. Why did you pick it? Do you regret it? I saw some of the links but a lot of incidents like that happens in NY and it doesn't even make the news! Trust me I see it everyday. Now if I can't go to the local supermarket or Target without being harassed or if I don't feel safe in my own neighborhood then yea it's a problem. Actually someone is probably getting held up or car jacked as I type this I'm sure here in NY. It doesn't phase me. Does it actually affect your quality of life though? If it does then I understand. Something tells me you don't recommend I leave L.I. for the Reno area! LOL

@IndyKing....South and North West, got it thanks!
i have to correct you. RENO does not have a job for you that would pay decent wages. You need to do MORE HOMEWORK.

Cali, Columbia? FYI California is NoCal Or SoCal... just so you know lol .. the locals will correct you.

I recommend you do much more research and come here first. you NEVER EVER been here. You have no idea what the deal is.

The amount of crime here RIGHT NOW is VERY HIGH This is RENO not NYC big difference in population. we have had a very big HIGH of murders or attempted murders in the past say 3 months. BTW that was 2 car highjacks same night right near each other.

Your EMS you see a lot - Be ready to see a lot of Meth and heroin addicts and also Bath Salts.

You seem to have a problem with my honest and valid critique about reno YOu NEVER BEEN HERE. You know Jack SHYTE about this part of the county ...This is west coast...... this is NOT again THIS IS NOT EAST COAST mentality or style. keep in mind for a small city you can't compare it to NYC.

There are a lot of great things about Reno / Tahoe. but anyone that visits here from NYC is like WTFunk.

If you're serious about moving here visit with your kids. the kids out here are NOT like East coast NYC kids. The rules on the west coast vs east coast are DIFFERENT HANDS DOWN!

One last time maybe Tahoe would be more your range.

Lastly you seem to have a issue with the fact that this is THE DEAL your not here and you don't know much if anything about this area.

Try finding a EMS job if you can the pays more than 20 bones a hour make sure its not a scam. There are LOADS of locals applying for that job. Also it might be just 20 hours since most companies out here do not want to lay off so they are cutting hours. This is also a right to work state and a right to live state.

Just because we have no taxes the state gets you in other ways like the DMV ...... its crazy.

If you want MAYBERRY .... there is a town in reno . But is very very ultra expensive.

PS you did invest your time here to get honest feed back right? Not fake fluff

Last edited by Kit Karson; 01-08-2013 at 12:54 AM..

Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 AM

3 posts, read 5,421 times
Danno,
I moved here from Los Angeles a little over a year ago. I rented for awhile and bought a house in Caughlin Ranch, the elementary school is the 1st or 2nd in the state as far as ratings go. Depending on year rated. I paid $1700/month for a 2 bedroom split level in LA. I pay $1572.00 for a house I bought in May. 4 br, 3 bath 2800 sq ft, 3 car garage. on a 1/4 acre + lot. Don't believe alot of the stuff you hear on here. In LA, I had helicopters, heard shots fired, etc... I loved it, when it was just my wife and I. Had a kid, he's 5 now, and a daughter, she is 18 mo. Realized, sounds like you do too, I was running up hill every month. I am an aircraft mechanic, in LA I was a crew chief. Took about a $7 dollar pay cut per hour, but I have more money now than before.

It is the same anywhere, LA, NY, Chicago, DC. There are bad parts, but it is a joke what people up here consider "bad" parts of town.

I will tell you, this is high desert, my biggest problem has been how dry it can get out here. Bring hand lotion, lol.
E-mail me if you have any questions. I am newbie as well, and will give it to you straight. browsj@sbcglobal.net

Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browsj View Post
Danno,
I moved here from Los Angeles a little over a year ago. I rented for awhile and bought a house in Caughlin Ranch, the elementary school is the 1st or 2nd in the state as far as ratings go. Depending on year rated. I paid $1700/month for a 2 bedroom split level in LA. I pay $1572.00 for a house I bought in May. 4 br, 3 bath 2800 sq ft, 3 car garage. on a 1/4 acre + lot. Don't believe alot of the stuff you hear on here. In LA, I had helicopters, heard shots fired, etc... I loved it, when it was just my wife and I. Had a kid, he's 5 now, and a daughter, she is 18 mo. Realized, sounds like you do too, I was running up hill every month. I am an aircraft mechanic, in LA I was a crew chief. Took about a $7 dollar pay cut per hour, but I have more money now than before.

It is the same anywhere, LA, NY, Chicago, DC. There are bad parts, but it is a joke what people up here consider "bad" parts of town.

I will tell you, this is high desert, my biggest problem has been how dry it can get out here. Bring hand lotion, lol.
E-mail me if you have any questions. I am newbie as well, and will give it to you straight. browsj@sbcglobal.net

So are you saying KTVN and Kolo Nevada appeal, RGJ news are lying about whats going on ha ha ha ,, is it a lie that we are smothered with Sex offenders does this site lie too lol http://www.nvsexoffenders.gov/

For a small area like reno the crime is bad this is not LA or NYC Chicago or DC this is the bigggest LITTLE city

and your also living in a very wealthy area.

Last edited by Kit Karson; 01-08-2013 at 02:15 AM..

Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 AM

here I just heard this on the news - Nevada got D when it comes to education

Report card ranks Nevada education policies No. 21 - My News 4 - KRNV, Reno, NV

and i figured i would add these too.

http://www.mynews4.com/mostpopular/s...U7p21qz-w.cspx

http://www.mynews4.com/mostpopular/s...VxLa2QqbA.cspx

http://www.mynews4.com/mostpopular/s...yu1hNz20Q.cspx

Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Northern Nevada is one of the greatest areas in America. My wife and I recently moved here in June of 2011. I grew up near San Francisco, and just retired from the Carpenters union, and we wanted a place that was cheaper and more laid back than the hustle and bustle of being in a large metropolis.

We bought in a very modest area 20 miles North West of downtown Reno. Everywhere we go we run into nice people. When I'm out on a walk during the day people wave at me that I don't even know. Most homes in my area are all no more than 10 years old with common walking paths and parks. Our biggest drawback is shopping is a minimum of 13 miles away, but that is also a good thing too. We have an older part that is modulars, and some trailers, but the developers of where we are were good about hiding it from us.

There's been quite a bit of negativity about Reno in this thread, so I feel I should get my 2 cents in here. After living only 200 miles away my entire life I have a pretty good idea what Reno is about. Too me: Reno is a working class town that provides support for the wealthy of Lake Tahoe, and a distribution hub for major West coast cities. I've learned that a majority of shopping is in South Reno, and is probably why I got my house so cheap. We go to Costco in Sparks to shop, because the store layout is more like what we're accustom too. On occasion we have people come to the house, and we go to town for dinner and a movie.

Yes, there are poor areas that I've seen, but no one has asked me to buy drugs like when you walk the street in Cabo San Lucas. I've never seen people doing drugs on the street like in San Francisco, and I've never seen large populations of homeless like you do in California. On the flip side, if you drive up Mount Rose highway you see very expensive homes and beauty beyond belief.

We have cold Winters, and cool Summers for being as far inland as we are. Personally, I think it is a great area, and I see kids and families all over enjoying life. Good luck on your search, and don't count us out based a negativity of a few.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM

9 posts, read 19,047 times
@Kat....LOL, Listen I understand what you're implying about the area. You also have to understand that OBVIOUSLY I wouldn't just get up and move somewhere with out AT LEAST making a test run and visiting it for a bit. Also I'm not a new jack in the EMS field and I wouldn't move almost 3000 miles away from NY to make crap money. I didn't just put all 50 states in a hat and pick Nevada. One of the MAIN reasons I picked Nevada is because the EMS agency that does the 911 for Reno, Sparks, that whole area is actually very well respected in the EMS field, believe it or not, and are not a little private ambulance company paying $10/hr with cheezy benefits. So I have done my research in that aspect and now I'm doing the other part now. I'm not looking to put my kids in a fantasy land or in a bubble. Try putting Long Island in the sex offender web site. Doesn't look to good though, but hey this is where we live. I'm just looking for a different life style then what I have now. After experiencing 9/11 as it happened at the bottom of Tower 1 as Tower 2 fell you gotta understand I feel a little different. It's a different NY then what it used to be. Every place has it's negatives. I'm just trying to look for a better balance that's all. Why are you in that area? Are you planning your leave? I would assume you are. I haven't heard you say anything positive. I do appreciate you're advice, like I said I'm looking for a balance. The negatives, the positives, my own experience once I go out there for a visit. You might be 100% right with what you're saying, then again it could also depend on a certain point of view depending on the person. Tell me about your area in Reno. What area is it? Thanks again.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
@Kat....LOL, Listen I understand what you're implying about the area. You also have to understand that OBVIOUSLY I wouldn't just get up and move somewhere with out AT LEAST making a test run and visiting it for a bit. Also I'm not a new jack in the EMS field and I wouldn't move almost 3000 miles away from NY to make crap money. I didn't just put all 50 states in a hat and pick Nevada. One of the MAIN reasons I picked Nevada is because the EMS agency that does the 911 for Reno, Sparks, that whole area is actually very well respected in the EMS field, believe it or not, and are not a little private ambulance company paying $10/hr with cheezy benefits. So I have done my research in that aspect and now I'm doing the other part now. I'm not looking to put my kids in a fantasy land or in a bubble. Try putting Long Island in the sex offender web site. Doesn't look to good though, but hey this is where we live. I'm just looking for a different life style then what I have now. After experiencing 9/11 as it happened at the bottom of Tower 1 as Tower 2 fell you gotta understand I feel a little different. It's a different NY then what it used to be. Every place has it's negatives. I'm just trying to look for a better balance that's all. Why are you in that area? Are you planning your leave? I would assume you are. I haven't heard you say anything positive. I do appreciate you're advice, like I said I'm looking for a balance. The negatives, the positives, my own experience once I go out there for a visit. You might be 100% right with what you're saying, then again it could also depend on a certain point of view depending on the person. Tell me about your area in Reno. What area is it? Thanks again.
I say go for it! I think you will like it. Reno and the rest of northern Nevada is a great place to live. Reno is just like any other town with its good and bad parts and I don't think it's as bad as other people on this thread have said. Since you've never been to Reno, I would recommend that you fly out to Reno for a week or so and get to know the area, check out the housing, the local EMS, etc. It would be easier than moving here sight unseen and deciding you don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area