Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,756 times

Advertisements

We are driving to Reno from Alberta with our toy hauler in March and am wondering what the roads are like from Elko to Reno. More so the mountain passes if any. Have never went this way before so am uncertain of the highways. Then we are off to Las vegas so think the highways should be fine that way. All info is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,632,179 times
Elko to Reno it is an interstate, only one hill of consequence, Golconda, you will go down it, and aside from the remote possibility of a freezing rain ice condition, You should have no problem.

Reno to Las Vegas is mostly two lane road with very isolated sections, the only real chance of snow is through Tonopah, maybe 10 miles of possible snow. In that 400 miles there are three towns, that can be called towns. Hawthorne, Tonopah, Beatty, and then there is Goldfield which is a largely abandoned town.

I advise you make the trip in two days, camp anywhere off the pavement.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 8,756 times
We willl stay in Reno for a few days to ski before heading to Vegas. I was just worried about the mountain passes from Elko to Reno. When I look on mapquest there seems to be a climb around Battle mountain area. But thanks for the info and having a 4x4 truck with winter tires it should all be okay. Its just the climbs that are lots when we are pulling a toyhauler. Its better to be prepared on the highways and roads before travelling that way. We will be on highway 80 by the looks of things.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 AM

Emigrant Pass shows on the map, the climb from Carlin to the summit is about 400 feet. The descent into Battle Mountain is less than a thousand feet.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,463,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Goldfield which is a largely abandoned town.
Goldfield is making a comeback, slowly but surely. With the solar plant going in at Tonopah & all the recent mine activity....there is a sign of life in Goldtown once again

Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
Goldfield is making a comeback, slowly but surely. With the solar plant going in at Tonopah & all the recent mine activity....there is a sign of life in Goldtown once again
i have often considered buying the hotel, fixing it up, bring in Euros and Japanese tourists, do horse and stage coach rides, complete with hold ups. Jeep to gold mines. Put in a good redlight brothel. Give the folks a good western thrill.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
i have often considered buying the hotel, fixing it up, bring in Euros and Japanese tourists, do horse and stage coach rides, complete with hold ups. Jeep to gold mines. Put in a good redlight brothel. Give the folks a good western thrill.
the hotel IS fixed up, as is the fire station (at least the outside). they are working on the high school next. tell ya what, you buy it & fix up the inside too, i'll stop by there each & every time i pass thru town

Old 01-15-2013, 03:43 PM

Is the hotel open for business? It has been a decade since I last drove through Goldfield.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM

no, not open. goldfield has a fabulous historical society, which collects $$$$ to fix up the old places in town. not necessarily to OPEN them, but make 'em pretty on the outside. places they have fixed up so far: the fire dept, the hotel & the courthouse (which is occupied by the s/o). they are working on the high school next.

there are some independent businesses that are opening - there's a gas station (with outrageous prices), a cafe, a yucca mountain info center & at least 1 antique store. they have opened in existing buildings that may not look like much on the outside, but are sturdy enough to open for biz

Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM

20 years or so ago a fellow dumped a bunch of money into the Hotel, then he went belly up and never finished the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area