U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,344,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylalayla View Post
don't do it unless you have a job lined up and a good one at that, otherwise you will live to regret it. I have been here all my life and have seen Reno go from being an affordable place to live to one which is outrageous. There is a reason Nevada schools rank lowest in our nation, its because they are bad with poor quality education.

That is simply untrue. Nevada ranks poorly because of some odd statistical quirks about the state. It would not be in the top ten or anything but the schools of the city rate a lot better than the bottom 10%. The good school of the Reno Area and the good schools of the Las Vegas area are competitive with other cities.

Don't know why we engage in self flagellation when it is not required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 11:58 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,287,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
self flagellation
You keep using those big words, olecapt, and I'm going to need to break out the dictionary . . . not really.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:40 AM

15,756 posts, read 33,344,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
You keep using those big words, olecapt, and I'm going to need to break out the dictionary . . . not really.
A friend tellls me it is a great cultural game in Japan. The object is to use an ideograph that forces a co-worker to use the dictionary. Face is lost...

Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 PM

25 posts, read 284,578 times
Olecapt - thanks for the reassuring comments about Nevada's schools...I know that there is good and bad everywhere but it's nice to hear from the locals - even if some locals only have bad things to say!

Guide - glad to hear you are getting settled in your new location but sorry I won't get to buy you a drink when I eventually make it out that way!

Layla - thanks (I think) for your comments - of course I'd never move without a backup plan...the way I see it though, there are always jobs available even if it's not what you want to do forever. There is nothing wrong with taking menial jobs until something better comes along. I'm of the opinion that if you work hard enough and have a positive attitude, anything is possible. As for the schools - it's also a matter of what effort you as a parent put into schooling - not just relying on the teachers...both my children are in gifted/talented programs - one for visual arts and the other for math AND reading/english...I'm a very hands on parent even though I don't home school. Of course I'd prefer a top-rate school for my precious children but I can also make the best of what's available.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 PM

159 posts, read 560,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeman View Post
Olecapt - thanks for the reassuring comments about Nevada's schools...I know that there is good and bad everywhere but it's nice to hear from the locals - even if some locals only have bad things to say!

Guide - glad to hear you are getting settled in your new location but sorry I won't get to buy you a drink when I eventually make it out that way!

Layla - thanks (I think) for your comments - of course I'd never move without a backup plan...the way I see it though, there are always jobs available even if it's not what you want to do forever. There is nothing wrong with taking menial jobs until something better comes along. I'm of the opinion that if you work hard enough and have a positive attitude, anything is possible. As for the schools - it's also a matter of what effort you as a parent put into schooling - not just relying on the teachers...both my children are in gifted/talented programs - one for visual arts and the other for math AND reading/english...I'm a very hands on parent even though I don't home school. Of course I'd prefer a top-rate school for my precious children but I can also make the best of what's available.
As a parent who takes a huge active interest in my childrens education, and the parent of children who are not only in advanced classes, but the parent of a child who had 4 high school credits in 8th grade, I can say, hand on heart, that the education here is poor. Some of it is because schools are under funded, and the majority of it is from the politics of the administration inside the school.

Unless I keep pushing my children at home they are going to be at a huge disadvantage when they enter university because the standard of education ranks way below that of the schools they attended on the East Coast.

I don't rely on the teachers to educate my children, if I did, it would be a diservice to them.

Talk to me again a yr after you get here and your kids have spent time in an education facility here, maybe then you will be as frustrated as I am.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:02 PM

142 posts, read 882,072 times
I would not recommend moving here. Reno is a run down city with no culture. My kids are already missing the museums, zoos, etc. We moved from Chicago and are looking forward to moving back once we sell this house we way over paid for. Everything is more expensive here, and for what????? Yes Lake Tahoe is pretty, but so is the Chicago skyline. The schools are not nearly as bad as people say, just lack organization. Oh, and the transportation dept. is ridiculous. Never know for sure if and when a bus will show up to pick your kids up. Just last week my daughter came home late and said the bus driver did not know they had early dismissal. DUH! Are you aware of the year round school here? I do not like it at all. There is no true summer vacation. All years just blend together. I hate to be so negative, but do more research before you make a big move. NC is beautiful! I have found that many people here think it is great, but have not been anywhere else to know better. Sounds like you've been around. Just be careful!

Old 12-26-2007, 09:35 PM

57 posts, read 221,314 times
I find all of this discussion on the schools to be very interesting. I have two autistic preschoolers and even though we don't live in Seattle (3 hrs away), I hang out on the autism boards for King County, where I believe there are the most resources for autism in WA. And what I keep hearing constantly is that WA is one the lower states in the nation for autism resources. Yes, I keep hearing positive things about NC and some other places back east for autism, but I also hear some of the locals say that so many people are moving in to avail themselves of the advantages that some of those programs are maxing out. I have also heard that CA is really great for autism from most except for some of the CA natives that want to move elsewhere - either to WA or east coast for autism resources, it appears. Which is too bad, as I am in love with Nevada. I do understand it will take a lot more research before I do any transplanting! If there is year-round school, that would be great! My sons teachers have recommended it for them.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,794 times
My husband and I will be moving to reno for my husbands work for a couple of years and want to know where a good neighborhood is and a good school, preferably one that uses the Spalding curriculum. My daughter will be starting kindergarten this fall. We will be renting a home. Never been to reno so we are going into this blind!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 12,096 times
This is a dated thread that I'd love to revive. Moving to Reno in a month with a solid job and would like to hear what people have to say about where to live with elementary school boys. I've done alot of research and already have some opinions, which I'll gladly share. Anybody have any strong opinions?

It seems Hunsburger, Lenz, and Caughlin Ranch are the best elementary schools in Reno. I assume the nearby neighborhoods are correspondingly good. Any comments appreciated.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:40 AM

83 posts, read 186,472 times
Stead has cheap housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area