U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 11,730 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Las Vegas Nevada 24yrs, and moved to Pahrump Nevada in 2004. I go to see my mother in N Calif once sometimes 2-3 times a year, and always go through or sometimes stay over night in Hawthorne, as I am 58, and have been disabled and told to stop working from a old Army injury, 3 yrs ago, and driving sometimes wears me out because of pain meds I'm taking.
I was driving N on 95, speed limit 70, I'm in no hurry, and my wife was taking pictures of the sun coming up over Walker Lake. My wife was walking around with a broken back a yr ago, and didn't even know it, till she had problems walking. The doctors said she could travel now, so I took her to go see my mother in N Calif.
A sign came up reduced speed ahead or 50 mile per hour ahead, so I turned off the cruise control, here's the sign 50mph, I was doing 65mph, started to brake, and a police car coming at us turned on their lights, turned around, and pulled me over for speeding.
I'm not saying anything as they are right and we are wrong. I have been traveling this road for 30+ yrs, and have not had any tickets at all since we moved here in 1981. This is how we get treated on a little vacation, and if I was doing over the speed limit a 1/2 mile or so down the highway, yes we deserve the ticket. But I just past the sign and started breaking and giving me a ticket, is not fair at all, as there is a reduced speed ahead sign, and less than 100 yards a 50mph zone, let the people have a chance to slow down.
I am going to change my route when travel up to Northern Nevada, as this is not fair at all, and the Township
of Hawthorne,Nevada, just lost a customer. As I have spent many a nights there, and boating and fishing at Walker Lake, but there are other towns and lakes to go to in Northern Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,860,912 times
Sorry you got a ticket, but it is well known that along Hwy 95, every little town is a possible speed trap. I use a radar detector, not so much because I am speeding a lot (maybe 75 in a 70 zone) but just to see where the law enforcement types are ahead of time to be sure I'm doing exactly the speed limit through these little towns (mostly 25mph). Going through Goldfield at 25 is ridiculous, but that's the posted limit and I've seen my share of people pulled over there and also in Tonopah.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,782,686 times
If I understand this correctly, there was a sign warning of a 50mph ahead?
You chose to wait until you got to the 50pmh sign to begin reducing speed from 65mph to the posted 50mph?

It is my understanding of NV speed limits that when you got to that 50mph sign you should have then been at 50mph not beginning to decelerate.

If this summary is correct, then you deserved the ticket for not obeying the posted limits. Fair has nothing to do with anything. I'm sorry you are going to take your business elsewhere, the folks in Hawthorn did nothing wrong, you were in violation of the speed limit.

As Johninvegas mentioned above, Hwy 95 is notorious as are most rural communities throughout the country. I live in TX now, relocated a year ago. The first sign will warn of a new speed limit coming up. I have seen state troopers with their bumpers backed up to the pole that holds the new limit sign and by golly, one had better have slowed to the posted limit when one gets to that sign or they will pop you.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:59 AM

52 posts, read 149,157 times
People notoriously get pulled over in Tonopah.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 PM

888 posts, read 1,924,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd1967 View Post
People notoriously get pulled over in Tonopah.
And even more in Searchlight, arguably the biggest speed trap in the state.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:40 PM

1,948 posts, read 829,492 times
There's speed traps everywhere. Why protect and serve when you can hide and ticket. A couple of years ago I was doing 70 on an empty stretch of highway that was posted 55 MPH. I had been doing 70 on that stretch for more than 20 years and so did everyone else who used it. I got a $185 speeding ticket. The only one I ever got in almost 50 years of driving.
The only purpose in having that stretch posted 55 MPH is to create a speed trap as a source of revenue. Now I drive that stretch at 55 while everyone buzzes by me at 70.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 11,730 times
Thumbs up Reply to mamacatnv

I saw the reduce speed sign ahead, turned cruise off before I got to the reduce speed ahead sign, and when the 50mph sign was at my vehicle, I was doing 65mph. I started braking, then the officer driving S on 95 turned their lights on, turned around on the highway, and I started to pull over to let them pass by, and they said I was speeding. Wrong vehicle, go get the truck and 2 cars ahead of me. They all passed me before the reduced speed sign.
Police need to give us enough time to slow down, and I know about the speed traps in these little towns, as I have never been sited for speeding, because I have never been speeding.
I know the Hawthorne people didn't cause this, it's their law-enforcement making it the way it is. I don't have a problem paying the fine, it's just unjust in my book.
As I said I will just go around Hawthorne, use 395N, and spend my money at Tahoe and Carson City instead of Hawthorne. I haven't been that route in awhile anyways. The state gets their taxes on my fuel for boat, jeep, rooms, and meals.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:06 AM

979 posts, read 1,343,345 times
This happens a lot in Reno with NHP. I've noticed they will do a lot of u-turns to ticket for speeding. My take on it is that from the opposite direction they can't clearly see when you have passed the signage, so they assume that you must have passed it, and they issue the ticket. They know you have very little recourse as most drivers are just passing through and not likely they will return to appear in court to contest the ticket. If you wanted to get sticky you could go to court to contest and it's unlikely that the officer will be present...and then you would probably get the charges dropped. If you do not want to return to appear in court, then I would just pay the fine. Both sides have figure out the game and it is in the favor of the revenue generating little towns along the highway.

We used to make the trip on 95 fairly often between Reno and LV. We have noted the mile markers for upcoming speed reductions and slow down way before reaching the zone. Even my college-bound daughter used our notes recently and it worked well for her but needs to be updated. She said it appeared they have moved some of the speed zones a bit, they come up sooner in both directions...

Old 07-13-2013, 05:27 PM

67 posts, read 172,011 times
when i drove through Beatty A few times they were stopping a lot of people going just 5miles over the speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area